Combinations - Pharmaceutical MAOIs and shroomz

Discussion in 'Drug combinations' started by a-SalviaLover, Aug 4, 2005.

1. a-SalviaLover

a-SalviaLover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from guam
    I'm planning to try the shroomz+MAOI combo.I'm unable to find a natural source of MAOI in my region, so the only thing I can obtain is Moclobemide (Aurix). Will it do the trick? Has anyone tried it?

2. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    trick is to be very careful. are you familiar with you body's reaction to MAOI's and the specific one you will be taking?

3. pinkfloyd2048

pinkfloyd2048 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I really wouldn't consider combining psilocybin with an MAOI, especially a pharmaceutical one. The principle behind taking a MAOI, like harmine alkaloids from the Banisteriopsis Caapi vine, with weak tryptamine derivatives, like DMT, is to increase their affinity to tryptamine receptors in the brain. Specifically, the 5-HT3-C has a high affinity for psilocybin in the first place more so than DMT, so taking a MAOI would increase unwanted pharmacological side effects.

While taking MAOI's, people should avoid consuming many foods and beverages including chocolate and caffeine, as these can be neurotoxic while on these medications. It would probably be best to just increase the amount of psilocybin administered to increase the desired effect.

4. a-SalviaLover

Reputation Points:
    from guam
    bad info

cheers,

nanoEdited by: nanobrain

5. truestbet

truestbet Newbie

Reputation Points:
    awesome but if someone takes the wrong type of MAOI it could send them into a hypersensitive situation like seratonin syndrome, or worse. It does enhance but I have never heard of quality being enhanced, only being worsened. MAOIs can trigger very bad reactions when mixed with the wrong foods and drugs. I have heard in addition to MAOIs, Buspar (Buspirone) can trigger a similar bad reaction for some people mixing with psychadelics. be careful

6. Dexy Mcfukfuk

Dexy Mcfukfuk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    when taking MAOIs or SSRIs it is best to err on the side of caution when doing a drug that acts on seratonin (as mushrooms do)

7. a-SalviaLover

Reputation Points:
    from guam
    I don't know Aurorix and shroomz is a great combo. It makes the trips much deper. And if you add some weed to it the madness is guaranteed. Excuse me if I have writen something I didn't have to. Dodn't remember what was, thoguh.

8. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    there are many types of pharmaceutical MAOIs, some of which effect type MAOA, some - type MAOB, some- both, depending on dose (selectvity).

there is also the issue of how long the inhibition last - reversibilty/irreversibility.

MAOI's are nothing to fuck around with, and potentiation for the sake of economy is not worth it inlight of potentially negative outcomes.

9. BrugmansiaBrujo

BrugmansiaBrujo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    There really is no reason at all to take an MAOI, plant based or
    pharmaceutical, along with any drug that is already orally active.

MAOI is only usefull for allowing a drug such as DMT which is normally
    inactive orally, to take effect. And even then it is risky,
    that's why there are diet restrictions before taking ayahuasca.
    The native peoples who discovered the ayahuasca combination knew this.

Just because we wear clothes, drive cars, and use credit cards and cell phones does not make us any smarter than them.

Whazzup with all this suicidal "lets combine everything all together"
    mentality anyways? We should learn the lessons of those shamen
    who came before us.

10. Sick Jack

Sick Jack Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My personal experience with an MAOI (syrian rue) and mushrooms (hawaiians) WAS A FAILURE AND MY BIGGEST BAD TRIP.

Such combinations requests a lot of EXPERIENCE and PREPARATION.

Personaly I was traped in a fucking machine, kind of horror that seems not having any end. I thought I was going wacko, so be CAREFULL with so potentially dangerous (and stupid) combination.

My girlfriend said me that I began to convulse, sometimes paralyzed in strange positions, having a terrified expression on my face, as if I was perceiving Hell.

BE CAREFULL !!!

11. BrugmansiaBrujo

BrugmansiaBrujo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes, that's because a mushroom is not pure psilocybin, there are many
    other chemical components to the plant/fungus. Many of those
    other components are toxic, that's why many people puke before they
    trip.

An MAOI reduces or eliminates your body's natural defenses against these toxins, causing exactly the reaction you describe.

At a minimum, being forced to retain these toxins in your system is
    very unpleasant, as you describe. For some people it could go beyond
    unpleasant and become deadly.

12. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    MAOIs act, as said before, by inhibiting the mao-enzyme wich breaks dmt down. That's why oral consumption of DMT is impossible w/o MAOi: there is MAO-A enzymes in a liver and gastrointestinal tract wich will destroy DMT before it get's to brain. Smoked DMT doesn't last very long as MAO quickly oxidazes it in the brain. DMT has very high affinity for 5HT-2A and 5HT-2C receptors and it's effects are intense. LSD on the other hand, has little affinity for a very vide range of 5HT receptor subtypes, to almost all. I'm tempted to think that explains it's "more profound" effects and this DMTs high affinity for couple of receptors correspondingly explains it's intense trip. Unfortunately the case is more complicated and I think some could argue that they feel LSD more intense and so on.

13. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Moclobemide is okay to take with shrooms or DMT as long as you don't take any other drugs and observe the proper diet.. Moclobemide is probably one of the best pharmaceutical, reversible MAOI's for use with tryptamines.. Only thing beeing preferable, IMO, would be Harmala alkaloids... Be aware, though, that this will roughly double the intensity of the trip, and add it's own "color".. One should only worry if your pulse drops or you experience a headache, since this would be an indication of hypertensive/hypotensive crisis(raising or lowering of the blood pressure too much).. As long as proper diet is observed and no other drugs are taken, it is safe.. Moclobemide is a reversible MAOI, and wouldn't bee as dangerous as other pharmeceutical MAOI's..

14. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium
    swim tried mushrooms and a MAOI a week ago. You really need to watch out what you eat. (some information)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The trip felt more dream alike, the CEV's were more complex. And it was rather intense. I will probably do that again.

Do NOT post links to commercial sites/other forums!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2006
    1. 3/5,
      Posting URL to commercial site.
      Mar 28, 2006
    2. 3/5,
      Links to commercial sites not allowed
      Mar 28, 2006