1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Phenobarbital

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by daveman, Jul 23, 2005.

1. daveman

daveman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    swim found their dogs phenobarb medecine, and swim took some of it nasally, it felt pretty good, and he had a body high. soswim was wondering if anyone can provide more info on this subject?

2. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    phenobarb(Pentobarbital) is a schedulle II Barbiturate in the usa. it is used to control epilepsy (seizures)in dogs and humans and as a sedative to relieve anxiety in humans.

3. BrandonAA

BrandonAA

Reputation Points:
    how is the high comparable to benzos or opiates?

4. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Stronger than benzodiezapines, but a diffrent high than opiates. They are also more addictive than benzodiezapines, some barbs are schedulle I (Mecloqualone and Methaqualone) meaning they are illegal, and they can not be perscribed.

5. daveman

daveman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i dont really like the high of these phenobarbs, its a mellow relaxed
    high, i can see why its prescribed for anxiety adn insomnia, but it
    sure can help you sleep. although it has been giving me weird body
    pains.

6. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er

Reputation Points:
    barbituates... are out dated, i just stick with safe(r) benzos, i like the high.

7. skitz0frantic

skitz0frantic Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I agree with jeyez63. all the benzos out right now r popular for a reason ;) Barbituates are just getting less popular in my opinion because they have a long list of reactions to other chems. With cocaine, it decreases the barbituate effect. You cant take any antihistamines either. There's more, just google it.

8. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think the main resons that Barbs are getting less popular is because they are rarely perscribed and highly controlled. I have never used them, but if the numbers there are on legal market for them goes down, i would imagine the numbers of them on the black market would go down too. Benzo's are often perscibed, and there is a large genaric market for them, also Xanax, Valium, Klonipin, are all schedulle 4 substances.

9. whumper

whumper Newbie

Reputation Points:
    How much does someone usually take of this?
    I mean 3 100's with a bottle of wine did nothing, just dosing to low or are these dud's?
    any information would be nice, thanks

10. hazejunk

hazejunk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    300 mg is alot so you should have had some effects!i think you're pills are dud's.....and don't mix barbs with alcohol!!!

11. sometimesx345

sometimesx345 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Phenobarbital dosage and use

SWIM currently has 5 100mg phenobarbital tablets. She has researched but could not find much about it other than the known: abused frequently in the 1970's, don't take with alcohol, habit forming, Marilyn Monroe's choice suicide drug.

SWIM would like to know a good dose for her to take recreationally. She has no idea what a "high" dose is and what a "low" dose is. Should she start with 50mg? 100mg? 200mg?

She's assuming it must be taken orally, and that snorting won't make it work any better, but she'd like some opinions on this too.

12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2

Reputation Points:
    100mg of phenobarbital, and most other barbituates, would cause most people to stumble around like a drunken idiot for 8 - 12hrs, depending on one's metabolism. Lesser amounts have lesser effects. The old street name for these drugs, as well as their users, was goofballs. 200mg is a maximum dose likely to cause deep sleep/sedation. Alcohol potentiates the effect and can be fatal.

I encountered a young lady many years ago who decided she would snort a 100mg seconal (a 2hr version of phenobarbital). She got a terrific nose-bleed and was in so much pain that her screams interrupted a school assembly. My friends and I were drafted by the administration to drive her home.

13. Akira1983

Akira1983 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM just acquired a Phenobarbital 64.8mg tablet. Although SWIM has used many drugs, Barb's isn't one of them. Should SWIM spilit this sucker in half for there first time, or whole?

Thanks

(<

14. Akira1983

Akira1983 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM took it a while ago, did nothing at all really exept make SWIM kinda hungry, pretty worthless.

15. mfrieze

mfrieze Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    swim tried 100mg of phenobarbital.. it was an ok experience. swim dont care to do it again though

16. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess

Reputation Points:
    ^^^ Can SWImfrieze elaborate?

What did it feel like? Why would they not do it again?

17. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    There is some info on this in this thread: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24843&page=2 titled: Phenibut, worth it for relaxation/sleep? , mainly in posts by Blur

Quote by Blur in regards to using Phenobarbital to withdraw off phenibut:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  18. Nagognog2

Nagognog2

Reputation Points:
    As with all barbituates, there is a danger of retrograde-amnesia, especially among those who become addicted. This is where one takes another dose, and forgets they already took another dose and they take yet another dose. Also with addiction to barbs, while tolerance goes up rapidly, requiring ever larger doses to stave off (among the worst) withdrawl symptoms, the LD50 (lethal dose in 50% of animals/humans) does not rise in accordance. Result: A lethal dose to alleviate withdrawl symptoms must be taken.

This is why you seldom meet long-term barbituate addicts.

Withdrawl requires a slow tapering-off of the dosage - under the supervision of a physician if at all possible.

19. DrMuffy

DrMuffy

Reputation Points:
    Yes well put SWINagognog, barbituates are or were the ost preferred method of suicide via OD. They can knock you on your ass fast and you might never get back up.....so SWIY might want to go easy with these. SWIdr does not know your weight and he is not a real doctor so he cant help you out very much with the dosage. Just do sum more research before you try this, and be careful!

20. procrastinator

procrastinator

Reputation Points:
    SWIM usually takes 120mg of phenobarbital a day.Barbs over benzos anyday.