Drug info - Phentermine

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by pharmapsyche, Feb 10, 2006.

1. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been reading alot about the weight loss medication, Phentermine. I don't know too much about this drug except what a few websites have offered to tell me. I would love to try this for weight loss reasons and I know it's only prescribed, but I was thinking about going to see my doctor about this. Has anyone ever had any try's with this drug? Is it really hard to get prescribed too or not really? Also, there are abuse potential's with this drug, correct? Anyone ever used and abused it for it's stimulant effects?

2. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Phentermine is only indicated for:

"shortterm (a few weeks) adjunct in a regimen of weight reduction based on exercise, behavioral modification, and caloric restriction in the management of exogenous obesity for patients with an initial body mass index ³30 kg/m², or ³27 kg/m² in the presence of other risk factors (e.g., hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia).

Certainly NO legitimate medic (in the UK) would prescribe it. It was withdrawn in 2001 because of concern about abuse potential, pulmonary hypertension and valvular heart lesions (although there is only strong evidence for PPH and valvular lesions when phentermine is combined with fenfluramine). There are numerous cases of medics being disciplined for it's prescription:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/decisions/search_database/pcc_karim_20030918.asp

There is also very little evidence that it works for weight-loss. However it is still widely available on internet pharmacy sites and from "diet-clinics".

Contraindications include:

Hypertension, Arteriosclerosis, Glaucoma, Hyperthyroidism, Hypersensitivity to synthethetis amides, History of drug abuse/addiction.

Adverse effects include:

Overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, tremor, headache; psychosis, impotence/libido disturbance, skin reactions. Discontinued use may result in withdrawal-like symptoms including extreme fatigue and depression.

Pharmapsyche: It does have abuse potential. Essentially phentermine is speed (and SWIM's views on amphetamine are documented elsewhere).

I think that there are better ways to lose weight (and get high).

Peace x

3. JewishNazi

JewishNazi Gold Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Both of my parents have used it. My mum has lot over 20kg with it; my dad however was a bitch on it and kept complaining of how it made his mouth dry.

Over here, a script for a month will cost ~85$. Now, it would take about 3 pills for a light dose of sped. Doesnt really seem worth it to me

4. 788.4

788.4 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I've never tried phentermine, but I have used phentermetrazine.

It's easy to get a prescription for it from a bariatrician (weight loss doctor). A normal doctor will probably not prescribe it. Bariatricians usually prescribe diet pills very liberally, you don't even have to be over weight.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  5. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have used Phentermine for weight loss, it works only for the time youre on it then the excess weight quickly returns. Also you develop tolerance fairly quickly and have to increase the dose to stop yourself feeling hungry. The effects wear off towards the evening but you will start to suffer from insomnia as the drug builds up in your system. So after a week you will find it very difficult to sleep then you start to take the Phentermine to wake yourself up the next day and the whole sorry cycle starts over. Couple this with a bad reaction to Alcohol (meaning "DO NOT" take large quantities of alcohol with this drug as you will do bad things on it and not remember any of it) and you have yourself a fairly nasty drug, the bad far outweighing the good.

6. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    phentermine and fenfluramine was phen-fen--a very potent combo that was withdrawn from the US (and other countries') market because it caused pulmonary hypertension.

You can still get the phentermine.

From what I've heard, it makes you feel really weird. If you're used to stimulants, and you take it for stim purposes, it just makes you feel really gross and like you wish you were dead or something. Totally unlike amphetamines/adderall--so if that's what you're looking for, forget it.

Look for benzphetamine or Didrex. I have heard from a friend that out of all the diet pills--all available easily w/prescription (i.e. over the net)--that this is the best one as far as how they make you feel, and being a stimulant.

7. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    phentermine aka duramine aka toxic shit in capsule form. speed it aint. hepatotoxic - most certainly. truckers love it. so do trailer trash bogans. nuff said.

8. hazeinmybong2

hazeinmybong2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Remember Phen-Fen?

9. pharmapsyche

Reputation Points:
    Anorectic drug I: Phentermine

Anorectic drug I: Phentermine

Brands: Fastin, Adipex-P, Obenix, Oby-Trim

Available Dosages: 30mg tablet, 37.5mg tablet

Phentermine is a white crystalline powder which is very soluble in water and alcohol. It's a sympathomimetic amine with pharmacological activity similar to the prototype drugs of this class, the amphetamines. Stimulation of the central nervous system and elevation of blood pressure are some of the effects experienced with this drug. With all drugs in this class, tachyphylaxis and tolerance have been demonstrated. Metabolic effects have also been noted with these types of drugs.

Weight loss is greatest during the first week of treatment. The weeks to follow usually only bring about a fraction of a pound of weight loss. One 30mg capsule administered 2 hours after breakfast is effective in controlling appetite for 12-14 hours.

The central nervous system side effects of phentermine are similar to those of the amphetamines, and include Overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, tremor, headache; rarely psychotic episodes at recommended doses. The gastrointestional side effects are also similar to those of the amphetamines and include Dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, constipation, other gastrointestinal disturbances. Tolerance to the appetite suppressing effects occurs within a few weeks.
    The possibility of dependance on phentermine is closely related to that of the amphetamines. Basically, abuse of phentermine will lead to addiction that is less severe than amphetamine addiction. This doesn't mean that abusing phentermine is a good idea, it simply illustrates the extent of damage that amphetamine addiction can cause.
    Most of this information was collected from the PDR 2000 edition and several online sources.

DEA image of Adipex tablets can be found here: http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/photos/amphetamines/adipex-p37.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  10. pharmapsyche

Reputation Points:
    I heard that it's extremely hard to get prescribed to Phentermine, is this true? And i read that in the UK it's actaully already been taken off the market? I made a post about this the other day but never really got an answer, so say I went to her doctor and said she wanted to try Phentermine for weight loss reason, would a doctor think SWIM's crazy for asking since it a highly abused drug? Is it really that hard to get prescribed too or no?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  11. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    in addition to mild central stimulation, the actual effects are likely to include significant peripheral overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, dysphoria, headache, nausea and vomiting the next day.

this drug has little to none recreational value, why anyone would take it for enjoyment is beyond me - dirty, non-euphric and generally, no better - and in fact much worse -than a double expresso.

12. pharmapsyche

Reputation Points:
    Really? That's really interesting! I always imagined phentermine to posess some sort of recreational value. I guess I was wrong. Thanks for that info, Nano!

13. pharmapsyche

Reputation Points:
    I found some information on Phentermine and a little bit of information on it's recreational value.
    1.Phentermine is the most commonly prescribed prescription appetite suppressant. Part of this reason is because it's significantly cheaper than the other major FDA-approved diet drugs.
    This shows that it is very commonly prescribed for weight loss.
    2.It is best to use Phentermine under a doctor's care. The average doseage is 30mg's. a day, but usually during the first week the patient will start off with a smaller dose and gradually work there way up to 30mg's over a short period of time.
    3.Blurred Vision, Dry Mouth, Restlessness, Irritability, Stomach Upset and/or Constipation are the most common side effects during the first week while your body adjusts to this medication. Ofcourse, the main advantage of Phentermine is that it suppresses the appetite; however this drug also elevates the heart rate and blood pressure.
    4.Some people may have weight problems due to a Thyroid Problem. DO NOT take Phentermine if you have thyroid problems, heart disease, high blood pressure, glaucoma, anxiety disorders, diabetes, epilepsy, or any other type of seizure disorder. DO NOT take Phentermine if you are currently taking a MAOI or if you are pregnant or nursing.
    5.Phentermine is recommended for people who have a body mass idex of 28 or more. It is only intended for those with major weight problems.

As benzenerings stated:"It's a sympathomimetic amine with pharmacological activity similar to the prototype drugs of this class, the amphetamines."
    This is true, They are closely related to amphetamine, but still remember that Phentermine is NOT an Amphetamine. Here is a picture of the chemical structures of Amphetamine, Meth-Amphetamine, and Phentermine. Notice how they are very closely related, yet they are not identical.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  14. glorf

glorf Newbie

Reputation Points:
    like ephedrine, i would think that there is some dosage between inactive and unpleasant that some may feel is better than nothing at all. nitpicking but true: the above image is mephentermine, not phentermine.

PIHKAL describes MD-phentermine and MD-mephentermine, BTW. i wonder what interesting things are out there that few if anyone knows about.

15. pharmapsyche

Reputation Points:
    My mistake on posting the chemical structure of mephentermine, not phentermine. But, to set everything straight, here is the actual chemical structure of Phentermine. As you can see, Phentermine is even closer related to amphetamine, than the picture above shows!
    [​IMG]

16. lebrika

lebrika Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Phentermine in Canada

Is phentermine legal in Canada, like it is under prescription in the US, right

17. blue_eyes

blue_eyes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I agree with what nanobrain said.

swim's mum has duromine alot for weight loss. Her doctor has been putting her on it intermittently for about 2 years or so now. She gave quite a bit of it to swim when she first started getting it, so she could lose weight the easy way too. It worked. swim lost 12 kg and has kept the wieght off (only by taking up exercise and eating better). However, swim ALWAYS felt agitated whilst on duromine. She felt restless and irritable. It was a very unpleasant feeling, and she doesn't intend on taking it again.

Actually, it was only yesterday swim visited her mum and she said "I've just taken a few duros (with a smirk on her face and glazed look in her eyes), do u want some?" I said no, of course!

I wouldn't recommend it for recreational purposes at all! But damn, its an easy way to lose weight!

18. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Bongo tried phetermine back yonder. It was a yellow capsule called Ionamin - he thinks. The effect was like feeling he hadn't slept in a day or two, and he was running on pure adrenaline like a victim of terrible insomnia. In other words, it kept him awake in the worst possible way. Other than that, it gave him a powerful migraine headache. Never again.

19. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Strange, swic liked it a lot.Although sometimes it makes me tired when coming on, it´s pretty damn good later on when it´s kickin in and I am usuallay in a long long training session by then, when this happens.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  20. texassweetpea

texassweetpea Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have been on phentermine for a year and a half. I have lost 70 lbs. Didn't have much trouble getting it prescribed...just asked swim's internist. I have abused it at times but it isn't the same as adderall FOR SURE.