Drug info - Phenylethylamine Drug Info

Discussion in 'Phenethylamines' started by gsmspy, Sep 26, 2006.

1. gsmspy

gsmspy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    in some supplement shop they deal this substance,is good ?

what about picamilone?

2. Broshious

Broshious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It's alright. You need an MAO-B inhibitor to get it to work though.

3. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    rrright... what are you expecting from this 'phenylethylamine' precisely? one chance to answer before thread closes.

do not take any MAOI with any phenylethylamine, ever. got it?

4. Broshious

Broshious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Seriously? Because that's what I was told(and have done) to do with PEA otherwise nothing happened. If it's dangerous then I am sorry for repeating it.

5. Mojo

Mojo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I think we're confusing phenylethylamine (which you're unlikely to find in any supplement shop I'm aware of) w/ phenylalanine (which you can find in many places).

Nano's right - MAOIs & phenylethylamines do not mix. However, there is a lot of research on MAO-B inhibitors like low-dose selegiline & phenylalanine for the treatment of depression. But it's not recreational AFAIK.

6. Broshious

Broshious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    The forum I was on was talking about phenylethylamine and not phenylalanine. They said it was like coke but much much less than coke. I used it and I was talking really fast and I felt pretty good, but it wasn't anything great.

7. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Wow, two red boxes with only two posts...that must be a record!

8. Broshious

Broshious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hey, I'm sorry. That's what I had read from numerous people.

9. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Re: Phenylethylamine

shit vs shinola, a common mistake. to set matters straight, i have dciphered the OP's crypticism - he speaks of l-phenylalanine (note the specific isomer) which is indeed a potent antidepressant when combined with l-deprenyl, a semi-selective, irreversible MAO-B inhibitor.

do not even think of using unless you know exactly what all of the above means.

10. Broshious

Broshious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Can more knowledgeable minds inform me as to what is wrong with deprenyl and Phenethylamine? As far as I know ingested plain ole Phenethylamine will get metabolized by MAO-B and be useless without an inhibitor.

11. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.

Very interested in this thread as well. Several nutrition stores on the net sell
    Phenethylamine (PEA). I would like to know if there is a mechanism of action that will actually make it worth buying. Users say they experience stimulation and a little bit of euphoria. Of course I was under the impression that Phenethylamine was a category of substances and not a substance itself. What gives?

12. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands

Phenethylamines are substances with the structure of the substance phenethylamine in it's structure. (Just testing if you're fully awake)

13. fastandbulbous

fastandbulbous Titanium Member

Reputation Points:

Phenethylamine is C6H5CH2CH2NH2. It can be found in chocolate and is claseed as one of the trace amine neurotransmitters. If ingested, any lucky enought to find it's way to the brain can produce a very mild type of amphetamine like response. Amphetamine is alpha methyl phenetylamine and doesn't get chewed up by the body (metabolized) because the alpha methyl group stops MAO-B from assuming it's active cofiguration when it binds to the active site, but the 'buisness part of the molecule is the phenethylamine structure.

If you take phenethylamine (PEA) & deprenyl (or any other MAO-B inhibitor) it prevents the metabolism of the PEA to inactive compounds, so it reaches the brain in quantities sufficient to pretty much mimic amphtamine. Of course completely knocking out a whole enzyme system then filling your body with one of it's main substrates is not one of the best ideas going as the dopamine released also requires MAO-B for metabolism and it's very easy to take too much, have your brain swimming in excess dopamine and develop hyperthermia which can kill.

The way the clever set go about getting a PEA high is to stuff their faces as full as possible with high percentage cocoa solid plain chocolate (reckoned to be one of the reasons behind chocoholism) and don't even think about using raw PEA in conjunction with enzyme inhibitors

14. Broshious

Broshious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Researchers at Rush University and the Center for Creative Development in Chicago conducted a study demonstrating PEA’s anti-depressant effects: “Phenylethylamine, an endogenous neuroamine, increases attention and activity in animals and has been shown to relieve depression in 60% of depressed patients. It has been proposed that PEA deficit may be the cause of a common form of depressive illness. Fourteen patients with major depressive episodes that responded to PEA treatment (10-60 mg orally per day, with 10 mg/day selegiline to prevent rapid PEA destruction) were reexamined 20 to 50 weeks later. The antidepressant response had been maintained in 12 out of 14 patients. Effective dosage did not change with time, and there were no apparent side effects. PEA produces sustained relief of depression in a significant number of patients, including some unresponsive to standard treatments. PEA improves mood as rapidly as amphetamine but does not produce tolerance.”

15. fastandbulbous

Reputation Points:

^ Yes and if I hadn't put that warning along with other people, how many people might have taken larger doses of both selegeline & PEA together. The researcher (who have a better idea than most on drug forums as to the pharmacological consequences) used 10-60mg orally per day (ie in divided doses) with 10mg of selegeline. There are some people who will snort 100's of mg of PEA on top of large doses of selegiline and have their body temp go through the roof. Anybody interested would find out the truth and post the reference as did you, but until drug users read up loads before taking unknown drugs, you have to err on the side of caution

16. Broshious

Broshious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Agreed, but I feel that more responsibility should be put on the side of the user. There is always gonna be a moron that even reading solid information on a drug will try and take 10 times as much to see what it does and end up dead.

17. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.

wow.....so if you always feel tired, are generally pessimistic and wonder what the fuck this "love" thing is that everyone is talking about, then you might benefit from PEA supplementation?

18. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

Eating lots of rotting fish - the more smelly the better - will get you some trimethylamine. If phenethylamine can get you high: IMAGINE the rush from a Rotting Fish! Three-Times the Buzz!

<sue me - couldn't resist>

19. fastandbulbous

Reputation Points:

Yes it's just that the potential for death or a visit to the ITU of a hospital increases severalfold when you throw enzyme inhibitors into the mix. On another message board I tried to convince someone of the foolhardyness of what he intended doing with selegiline & some stimulants, but he siad 'I know what I'm doing'. A couple of weeks later he wrota a post about how he'd ended up in hospital. I just don't want to have something like that on my concience - if you're intelligent enough to find the information without relyimng on someone posting it, I'm hoping that you're intelligent enough to have some idea what you're doing (and anyway I don't end up feeling guilty - the post was as much for my benefit as those who might try it blindly!)

Really I just don't want to feel guilty for encouraging stupidity in others

20. Shaman

Shaman Silver Member

Reputation Points:

I have been experimenting a lot with PEA (phenylethylamine) recently, and yes it is very dangerous for a number of reasons. First of all, it requires the use of selegeline, which is an MAOI that is selective to the MAO-B enzyme. MAOI's interact with many drugs and some foods; hypertensive crisis is a common concern and could be fatal. It must be taken orally, and is very difficult to dose due to the fact that absorption is greatly affected by stomach contents. A dose of say... 300 mg on a full stomach could produce a mild high, while the same dose on an empty stomach can raise blood pressure to dangerous levels and produce extreme discomfort. Affects also depend on the amount of selegiline that one is taking. The selegiline MAO inhibition is not an immediate response when starting or adjusting a dosing regimen, so this also needs to be considered. I can tell you that it is very addictive, and the cost doesn't motivate a person to stop or use it wisely, since it is very cheap compared to other amphetamines. Taking it in pill form also makes it all too easy to take regularly, as its primary affects only last around 20-40 minutes. This combination of PEA with an MAOI has barely been studied at all, and few people have used it, so very little information exists about it.

A note on addictive quality: There is a "sweet spot" that one may wish to achieve with dosage- a point where pleasurable affects are maximized before the uncomfortable side affects and hypertensive danger set in. The desire to reach this "sweet spot" along with the unpredictability of dosage is obviously a dangerous situation. I have more self control than 95% of the population, and has made the VERY frightening mistake of overdosing on more than one occasion.

Negative side affects:
    -HIGH blood pressure
    -RAPID heart beat at higher dose
    -muscle stiffness, jaw clenching, back stiffness
    -scattered thoughts, desire to do many things at once. It can be very hard to get anything done at all.
    -a bizarre reddening of the skin which happens unpredictably. Seems to occur around 25% of the time when dosed multiple times in a day. The reddening is usually confined to areas of the skin where it has been scarred. Scars that you forgot you had can show up as a very noticeable bright red.
    -reactions to PEA vary widely for no apparent reason. It is sometimes more enjoyable than other times.
    -vomiting has occured unpredictably although this is very rare. (I not sure about this, but I believe that it is highly acidic and may damage the stomach. It certainly burns mucus membranes very badly. Long term damage is a real concern.)
    -An Uncontrollable urge to talk might make people suspect that you are on something.

All in all, I strongly recommend that people NOT MESS WITH THE STUFF. It is just too unpredictable, and we know so little about it.

1. 3/5,
      Nice informative and simple
      Jul 11, 2014
    2. 4/5,
      Good info! thanks!
      Oct 28, 2008
    3. 3/5,
      Good and critical information about the side effects of maoi-b/PEA use
      May 9, 2007
    4. 3/5,
      informative post...thanks
      Mar 16, 2007