Philosophy on nutrition, neuro-nutrition

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by howlongisthenight, Jan 16, 2007.

1. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    SMIM has been taking a stack of several known Nootropics recently and has been doing tons of research into watch makes the body and the brain tick. He just loves to learn about chemicals and their effects on the body. I have also found that there are almost no side effects to taking some nootropics and overall they seem to be very positive. I have begun to wonder why some of these chemicals aren't common knowledge. How come everyone doesn't take, for example: choline. Wikipedia states that this is a vital element to a healthy brain, escpecially during development (where, "The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires[1] that infant formula be made from cow's milk containing choline.") So how come I am just hearing about this now? Do some sites overstate the benefits of some of these drugs? Hace they just not hit the mainstream yet? I amn't concerned with living forever, but he wants to maintain a quality of life for years to come. What do you guys think about this? I am very interested and would love an open discussion on the subject.

Also related, SWIM wonders why (mostly reffering to kids) some people dont take care of themselves when they choose to use drugs. SWIM sees other people at college take Adderall and stay up for three nights and eat nothing. He doesn't understand why someone would do this to themselves when you can still take the drugs, get the benefits, but also stay hydrated, force yourself to eat right, take an l-tyrosine supplement and maybe some B-vitamins, and thus take care of yourself and avert some negative side effects. Some people confuse SWIM.....it makes sense to him to take care of yourself,even moreso then normal, if your on a substance. But SWIM guesses that ignorance is what always hurts drug's images.

2. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    I don't think it's about them not yet having hit the mainstream, after all they've been around since piracetam was developed in the 70s. I don't really know much about these substances, but some of the reading I've done has led me to the conclusion that the studies about the effectiveness of nootropics are pretty much conflicting, some find improvement, others not. Some sites surely overpronounce the benefits, ofcourse especially the ones selling those. Some online shop listed many studys on each substance, but I didn't at that time pay attention if there was any studies included that didn't find difference.

For the latter paragraph, yes, many people are ignorant about drugs. I've understood that the harm reduction when using amphetamines or stimulants is very essential and can help a lot, but many people just don't know that much. I would very much like to see a government distributing this information and maybe even teaching it at school, but I can't see this happening anytime soon. There is huge cap in the knowledge about harm-reduction, mostly caused by the prohibitive stance governments have taken.

3. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    yea, i guess its the government's "abstinence only" drug education policies. People find out that they dont kill their friends (remeber that commercial where the kids were playing with the gun?) and then they just go crazy. It seems to happen fast, someone gets introduced to drugs and then they are doing crazy stuff or getting in way over their head. Educatiob and information is always left out. I guess this happens more with teenagers introduced to drugs as opposed to young adults.