Piperazine based products are classified as Prescription only Medicines in the UK

Discussion in 'Research Chemicals' started by albagbr, Aug 9, 2006.

1. albagbr

albagbr Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland
    So-called "legal highs" are not even legal in the UK. I wonder how long the websites selling these products are going to continue? Seems odd that not one of them bothered to check with the MHRA!

Piperazine based products are classified as Prescription Only Medicines (POM) in the UK. Any products containing salts of the ingredient, e.g. Benzylpiperazine (BZP) would be licensable under the Medicines Act and consequently anyone manufacturing and supplying it legally must hold the rel
    evant licences to do so.

Licensing records indicate that Benzylpiperazine has never been licensed by the MHRA as a medicine. Therefore, at present BZP pills would be classified as unlicensed and any advertising and sale would be in contravention of the Act. The MHRA has Enforcement powers and can take action against any organisations or persons found to be in contravention of the law.

Kind Regards,

Central Enquiry Point
    Information Centre
    Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
  3. haze

haze Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Seems like the guys selling it all had letters from the Home Office saying it was okay, but the MHRA couldn't care less.

There's some sort of legal battle going on at the moment, so they're carrying on for the time being I think.

There's supposed to be some new energy pill coming out that's BZP free, but I don't think I'm allowed to give you the web address on here.

4. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    what about if you possess it for your own use? as befor k was made class c in jan it was only a missuse of medicin and as shuch no action was taken if you had it for your own use.

5. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hopefully the MHRA will be overided by the Home Office because, after all, these legal highs are being sold as a harm mimimalisation strategy.

6. matti_2003

matti_2003 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    They may be marketed as harm minimisation products but Swim will doubt that the home office will see it like that. There hastn't been that much research into piperzines so its hard to argue that they are safer than the illegal drugs that they are being used as an alternative to.

7. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    The UK government has left piperazines alone for a unusual long time. It is typical that they have decided to come into action after the bad media coverage.

8. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    What are they replacing it with?

9. haze

haze Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I don't know mate, sorry.
    I had the BZP pills from these guys in NZ and they were so good that I'm kinda hopeful on whatever replacement they've got lined up.
    Apparently they've been working on it for years.

10. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Probably x-xx. Totally agree Alfa (see post below). Post edited to preserve the legal lifespan of the previously mentioned chemical.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  11. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Probably imensely stupid and solliciting for a very rapid ban on whatever is presented as the replacement. The legal highs are in the spotlights of government and media ATM. Introducing anything as a replacement is an effective way to stay in those spotlights. Haste brings waste.

12. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is probably true. I also agree that as piperazines haven't been fully tested, that their sale will be completely banned after Parliament resumes in the Autumn. It's the mindset of the British government, unfortunately.

13. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    MHRA's clarification to Drugs Forum

I have asked the MHRA for clarification on the legality of piperazines in the UK. Here is their response:

14. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Perhaps this means we will not be seeing too much more of the people who like to come in here extolling the virtues of these chemicals. They were mostly from the UK. Sounds like they might wind up going down like Al Cappone - for tax evasion.

15. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    I am sure the UK government has collected a large amount of money in taxes on the sales of piperazine pills.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  16. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  17. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    BBC depicts piperazine pills in very negative light

Last Updated: Tuesday, 15 August 2006, 16:31 GMT 17:31 UK anewsimg.bbc.co.uk_shared_img_o.gif anewsimg.bbc.co.uk_nol_shared_img_v3_dot_629.gif
    anewsimg.bbc.co.uk_nol_shared_img_v3_email.gif E-mail this to a friend anewsimg.bbc.co.uk_nol_shared_img_v3_print.gif Printable version
    Thousands of pills found in raids

Five men have been arrested after thousands of prescription capsules and £28,000 in cash were seized in raids.
    The pep pills and cash, believed to be from the proceeds of crime, were recovered from two houses, a shop and a warehouse in the Cleveland Police area.
    The police working with officials from the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) carried out the raids on Tuesday. Pep pills are prescribed stimulants containing amphetamine.

This article has been twisted by the BBC into depicting these piperazine Pep pills as coming from the proceeds of crime rather than as a harm mimimalisation solution. I hate the lies created by the media, or at the very least, their ignorance and obvious mistakes here... they contain piperazines rather than amphetamines and are sold in New Zealand as a legal high and have been imported into Britain.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  18. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    I don't see how they have twisted anything. They merely stated that the police seized the cash and are treating it as proceeds of crime.

Don't get me started on this so called "harm mimimalisation philosophy". The only philosophy these companys were operating under was one of profit maximisiation.

19. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Of course these companies want to make profits because they're running a business, after all; but they order their products from New Zealand manufacturers who sell the pills legally there rather than from criminal gangs.

20. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    I have no problem with them making money but when they sell a drug as a "harm minimilisation solution" which may well be more dangerous than the drug it is supposed to replace you are obviously using peoples perceptions about the dangers of MDMA as a marketing technique. This coupled with constant spamming campaigns on many forums (including here).
    You should also check the prices chemical suppliers charge for piperizines, this will give you some idea of the profit margins we are talking about. There was even one supplier offering to supply pills in bulk, pressed with well known ecstasy logos (mitsubishi etc.).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006