Opinions - Pissed off Smoker: Cigarettes Cost So Much

Discussion in 'Tobacco' started by Motorhead, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o from Canada
    Are there any other smokers in the house that are getting really pissed at the cost of smokes? I live in Canada and the price of a pack of taylor mades is well over 10 bucks and i think the price in the states is way more than what it used to be as well. I donno about europe or anywhere else but the situation here in north america is maddening.

Mods, I know talking prices is a no-no but imtalkin about cigs here so I hope its ok.

The main reason im mad, of course, is that the biggest chunk of the price is tax. While the government preaches that they are anti-tobacco and all that crap, they continue to feed off of millions of drug addicts aka smokers. Many studies argue that nicotine is more addictive than heroin or cocaine and many more users will confirm this arguement. Of the many posts in this forum that continually expose the hypocrisy of governments in their stances on drugs, no other example proves it more than the fact that they are drug dealers themselves. They raise the age you can purchase tobacco, control where it can be sold, prevent the companies from advertising, ban it from public places, even Bars!!!!!, air muliple health canada anti-smoking ads on tv, and yet they still allow the legal sale of this drug, making millions and millions of dollars. If they really wanted it gone they could just pass a bill to criminalize it, done easily enough in the parlimentry system where a majority government can pass any damn thing it pleases.

Ya smoking is bad for you, will kill you over a lifetime, i will probably quit someday,but i happen to like it at the moment. I dont get involved in alot of the anti government threads in this forum, but this blatant hypocrisy is really starting to burn me. So to avoid this from being a rant is there anyone else out there who feels the same? How long do you think the government will pull this crap before, in the end, they finally do crimianlize tobacco? I know it will happen someday, smoking is becoming less and less popular across north america. It just ticks me off to no end to see these guys make so much money off of a wickedly addictive substance while at the same time, just for example, a heroin user somewhere gets aids or hep just cuz he cant find a clean rig.

Whatever, thats my story and im stickin to it

2. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Shit, I donno how you people can keep on smoking those things with the price. I smoked since I was 13 and at 18 I decided I wasn't gonna keep payin 3-4 bucks for a damn pack of smokes. I was not a smoker for as many years as some of you, probably, so I would imagine that I never had as strong of an addiction.

3. afromonkey

afromonkey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    they cost about a fiver over here in't UK, which is pretty expensive

I doubt that it'll ever become illegal to smoke over here, there's just
    so much money to be had, I'm pretty sure that the price situation will
    get worse and worse, though

Edited by: afromonkey

4. Motorhead

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o from Canada
    What? no pissed off nicotine addicts out there? Ah well, youre right afromonkey the price is only gonna go up, and there is nothing we can do about it really. I do think they will be illegal someday tho, the anti smoking lobby is powerful, and as soon as the govt finds another sourse of revenue bango cigs will be gone. I figure in about 10-15 years there will be no more nicotine products for commercial sale. However when i thought about it more, here in north america anyway, the native community might put up a stink and claim tobacco as a first nations right. I donno, just speculation.

5. asystole

asystole Newbie

Reputation Points:
    You better believe I'm pissed... its friggin expensive. Shit, going to the gas station these days just about cleans me out... 10.95 for a pack of smokes and around $0.93/L for gas... I bet it's all a conspiracy... not only do you have to quit smoking, you have to walk your ass around everywhere too.[​IMG]What's next?

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    We have the most expensive cigarettes in the world. Quit your whining.

7. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    hey how about this-quit your stinky,filthy habits? no? oh well you cant f/blame me for trying.say no to nicotine do crank,ups imean crack,ups imean jesus,god&other shit[​IMG]

8. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I don't smoke cigarettes for the record. I just need the tobacco so I can mix hash in it because rolling tobacco tastes like shit.

9. Motorhead

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o from Canada
    Hey did u try out those hot knifes NBL? wont have to buy tobacco any more!

10. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I didn't try it because I haven't bought pot in a while. A lot of my friends have started buying it recently and I'm kinda mooching off them. I'll give it a try tonight if a friend comes over with a lump.

I've tried all the tricks with bongs, bowls and pipes though, and I find that a joint is always more relaxing. I only start using the equipment when I'm in party mode.

BLUNTS ARE KING!! Can't wait to make a decent one when I get some of that blueberry weed that's meant to be around.

11. Daeron

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    i cant stand tobacco!whenever i smoke hash in joints i use some weed to smoke with it,but never tobacco;cant stand the taste,cant stand the smell,and cant understand the fact that people are addicted to something that barely gets you high-all in all a bad deal!

stay healthy,be smart do crank,ups imean crack,ups imean goddamn jesus&shit..

motorhead&the rest of smokers-have you ever tried quitting? zyban seems to have helped a lot of ex-smokers i know

12. Motorhead

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o from Canada
    I havent tried quitting yet, but im seriously considering cuz its hard for me to afford the habit. I think if i try to quit for just the money reason tho, i am doomed to fail. Im gonna have to want to quit.I know that the majority of nonsmokers really despise the habit and arent shy about letting smokers no about it lol! But for me i really enjoy smoking. It wasnt a peer pressure thing at all. I didnt start till i was 20 and was apack a day from day 1. I do have an addictive personality, but i just enjoy the whole ritual or whatever of smoking.

When i do quit someday it wont be with zyban. It does work well for alot of people, but for some it has serious side effects. My uncle was in the hostipal for a week he had that bad of a reaction to it.

13. Daeron

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    im sorry if im an annoying bastard but what in the 7 different types ofafterlifes did atract you to the cigs in the first place.when i was something like 9 or 10 i bought a pack,smoked it all and puked all around.tried the same thing 5&10yrs later and still there is the same imperssion-disgusting!

really how did the cigs appeal to you?i know im a boring bastar but what you like smelling like an ashtray,or yellow teeth are the turn on?please elaborate.

PS i know i can be annoying

14. Motorhead

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o from Canada
    lol, no worries daeron, ive heard it and still hear it all the time in person. Were deffinately becoming the minority us smokers. Like u i tried smoking when i was younger, around 13-14 or so, and it made me sick at the time. When i was 20 me and my buds were sittin around havin a few beers and i took a drag of one of their smokes and it felt good, light headed and all that. I dont descriminate against any drug, if it makes me feel good, i do it. Well of course smoking no longer makes me light headed, im hooked now and smoke to feed the addiction. However i still do enjoy holdin the burningcig in my hand, inhaling the smoke, blowing it out through my nose. My favorite smokes are after i eat, after i have a shower, and when i wake up. The one after sex is no biggie, tho alot of people seem to like that one. My teeth arent yellow, they are mother of pearl, and my natural male musk overpowers any undesirable scents and keeps the women wanting more[​IMG]lol.

15. Daeron

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    oh well i wish you all the best man,and i hope that will you quit that shit soon.As soon as one thing stops getting you high you should throw it away,be pragmatic.

and all those little rituals you smokers have with the holding the cigs,exhaling the smoke,etc well you can keep them,but use weed instead[​IMG].I usually respect all the drugs,but there is something about nicotine that really annoys me.now that i think bout it i dunno why i hate it,i just do...

btw sorry for my unique spelling,im a wee butt i mean tit,argh i mean bit drunk right now..

16. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Tobacco burns hashish more slowly which is better in a way. I rarely have weed anyway and usually I smoke that stuff on its own. Sometimes though, if it's bad dried weed, I need to use tobacco just to spark the damn stuff.

17. BigRed

BigRed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    im pissed to, the gov got us hooked, deals it, then says what the f*ck it`s bad for u?

i despise the gov.

18. MescalinePirate

MescalinePirate Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I pay around $10 per pack here. It went up recently.

However, we have very good [and free] medical care for when my lungs screw up [​IMG]

My point is the money does go somewhere good... [here anyway]

19. prescription

prescription Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yup i agree with mescaline pirate allthough my beloved luckies are getting a tad bit expensive for my tastes hmm might trya and quit....again

20. Secure.H

Secure.H Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    I can get em for $1.50 where I live (actually 1.35 but I like the 1.50 ones) but i quit so i don't need em. I live next to an Apache Indian reservation....(no taxes)