Please help with project on addiction. Which drugs are addictive, which can be fatal?

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by filaboi87, Jul 1, 2006.

1. filaboi87

filaboi87 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Hi guys out there in this newsgroup, so currently i am on a project and
    my teacher told me to join a newsgroup regarding my project topic which
    is Drug Abuse on teenagers. So which drugs have the higher chances to
    cause a teenager to be addicted to it and which drug is the most fatal.
    I was wondering could you guys help me out here i really appreciate it
    alot thanks. Another interesting question is as i personally did not
    take drugs before i am wondering what does it feels like to be high on
    drugs and also what leads people to taking drug and as i know this forum is on heroin so what is the difference between heroin and any other drugs i would really need you knowledge here thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  2. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    I've tried to break down your questions a little bit as most of them have very complex answers.

Q1) Which drugs are most addictive to teenagers?

A1) This is a very difficult question and you will see if you look around the forum there are pleanty of arguments about this. Here is a short comparison but look around there are pleanty of forums already on this.

Heroin(and other opiates ie vicodin, codeine etc) - This is commonly seen as very addictive both phychologically and physically. Opiates give the user a feeling of euphoria which is very desirable to get again. A tolerance also builds up against the use of the drug which means more and more is required. The withdrawal from these types of drug is generally seen as very unpleasent and painful, commonly known as Cold Turkey.

Benzodiazapines (ie Diazepam, Temazepam etc) - These a seen as very addictive as they can act as hypnotics (induce sleep) and also reduce anxeity. Many people wish their lives had more sleep and less anxeity in them hence the large phychological factor. Dependance can develop quickly with these in as short as two weeks of daily use and then withdrawal can potentially kill!

Alchohol (Vodka etc) - This although commonly misinterpreted as a safe drug due to it's commonly legality is far from safe when not used with responsibility. Many alcoholics will argue that this drug is the most addictive especially with the pretty severe withdrawals here.

Nicotine (patches, Cigerettes) - If i remember the poll correctly this was voted the most addictive. There is pleanty of information on nictotine and tobbaco on forum.

Stimulants (cocaine, Methamphetamine etc) - Many people argue because of the short duration of effect from cocaine and speed that these are the most addictive. These have both a definate physical and phychological addiction potential.

dissaccociatives, Empathogens and Hallucenogens (Mushrooms, LSD, XTC) - I know these are not normally grouped together but i've decided to do this as i believe that these are the least addictive. They definatly have strong phychological addctive qualities and will capture certain people but they have no evidance of physical addiction and tend to be used on occasion rather than regularly. (I know there are heavy XTC and Ket users but this is just an oppinion of SWIF's Experiences and friends)

And lastly

Cannabis - Commonly smoked by large amounts of people, some say they would not be able to survive the day without the stress relieveing effects of cannabis, once again very phychologically addicting if that is the mindset of the user and slightly physically addicting but without much of a withdrawal.

(i know there are other drugs and drug classes but i feel i've covered the more popular among them)

Thats the best i can do for your first question but feel free to ask more specifics.

----------------

Q2) Which drug is the most Lethal?
    Q3) which drug causes the most fatalities?

A2) Virtually any drug taken in quantities is lethal, the wrong driver behind the wheel of a car is lethal. This question is a little unfair, heroin is not lethal when used properly neither is cocaine or speed. There are a few drugs that unless taken in ridiculous quantities or combined with other drugs are quite safe in the dose aspect they are as follows - Cannabis, Mushrooms, Salvia. The other drugs ie Heroin, cocaine, Speed(and it's derivetives) Benzodiazpines (and other sedatives), Dissaccociatives can all be overdosed on. Also because most of these drugs are illegal when a teenager buys a drug they tend to be adulterated and therefore knowing exactly what dose one is taking is virtually impossible even with testing.

A3) This seems like a relativly easy question to answer but in atual fact isnt. Heroin use causes most deaths but then that isnt the drug itself it's the improper use of needles and blood contamination. Yes some deaths will be attributed to heroin overdose but with the hospital now using Nalaxone they tend to be reversed in time. My knowledge on death from drugs is quite limited but you can see the issue that many of the problems causing deaths are not atually the drugs themselves but how the drug is administered and used or merely dangerous factors caused by their ilegality like adulterants. An example of this is the current situation with Fentanyl in the USA. Fentanyl is a very very strong opiate and merely 4 grains of Fentanyl could cause an overdose. Therefore when this is mixed with heroin death can easily result. If drugs were legal this problem would not occur!

Q4) What does it feel like to be high?

A4) many would argue that the feelings on various drugs cannot be described in words. Experiences on DMT, Mushrooms and LSD are particularly hard to describe. Many use the word Euphoria when talking about Opiates. Before use there is little to compare to, for example There is nothing else in the world that will make you feel like you do on LSD except maybe another drug similar to it. Also you must note that being high from differant drugs gives differant highs, the feelings from being "high" on cocaine are very differant to the feeling of being "High" on benzodiazepines or "high" or cannabis.

Q5)How is heroin differant to other drugs?

A5)This is an impossible question to answer.... It would be easy to answer how is it similar. And even then this would be complex. Put simply it has differant effects, addiction potential, indications, counter-indications, dangers, withdrawal, looks, smell. Specify more if you want me to develop on this but answering Q5) would take a life time.

Hope my information helped feel free to ask any more and ill do my best to answer. Remember that the more you specify the more detailed response ill be able to give.

3. RunRedFox

RunRedFox Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    alright let me simplify it scietntifically for you. the quicker a substance cross's the blood brain barrier and the more intense a drugs effects are usually the more addictive a drug(with some exceptions; DMT, salvinorin). also the neuro receptors the drug activates. serotonistic drugs have alot lower addiction potential if any. those that heavily effect dopamine have a high addiction potential as dopamine is responsible for feeling of success and well being. Also drugs that heavily effect the opiod receptors cause addiction ie. heroin, codeine, opium, ketamine(atypical example, kappa receptor making it one of the only slightly addictive pyschedelics). im not as privy to their cause for dependency but i hope this helped out a little bit.

4. illuminati boy

illuminati boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I am not sure how many teens frequent this site. Many of the persons here are at least adults.

I am very confident that nicotine has usually been shown to be the most reinforcing drug, with persons usually having a harder time in quitting than do users of heroin. Some possible confounds to this general finding might be the disparate availability, price, perceived risk, and prevalence of marketing.

Well if you are dead, you are dead. No deaths are really more or less fatal than others. I guess are you asking which drug has the lowest safety factor maybe? Like which drug has the largest difference between active dose and fatal dose? There are no doubts as to which is the most physically safe… that is LSD with persons having survived 10,000 dose overdoses and only one known fatality, in an individual who is believed to have taken 320,000 + µg. via IV !! As far as other drugs go, there is a wide variability in relative risk. Nicotine actually has actually lead to fatal overdoses in very small amounts. If a small child were to eat a single cigarette it could easily result in fatality. Drug combinations can really increase relative risk (say GHB, barbiturates, or benzodiazepines + alcohol). If the question you are asking is which drug kills the most persons either collectively or in terms of percentage of users, again the answer would likely be nicotine which accounts for possibly millions of deaths worldwide each year.

Depends on the drug… although I am VERY skeptical that you have never taken a single drug in your lifetime. If you grew up in an industrialized nation, the odds are pretty good that you had drugs administered to you before you could speak your first word (vaccinations, antibiotics, pain medications, topicals, caffeine, etc.). If you are stating that you have never consumed an illegal drug, I might be inclined to believe you. At any rate, each drug is unique. Some just make you feel hypervigilant and some tired or sleepy. Some make you feel euphoric through either serotonin or dopamine systems and yet others will challenge your sense of reality such as 5HT2 psychedelics, still others will make you feel just completely ‘not right’ or poisoned. Which leads into the second portion:

Depends on what people like. Some people really do like to feel numb. Some people try to manage anxiety. Some want to feel pleasure or bliss. Some want to explore how the processes in their own psyche work. Some just want to party and feel they need a little social lubrication. Some people crave more energy or stamina. Some just want to get some sleep. Some want to treat flu symptoms. Some want to avoid withdrawal. There are OTC, Rx, and illegal drugs that people have and will take again for all of these and more.

Sorry I cannot authoritatively answer that one as I have never felt the inclination to try diacetylmorphine or regular morphine for that matter. Maybe if I was in extreme physical pain on my deathbed or something similar… Thankfully I have never had chronic pain and find myself in no position to comment.

Ok some quid pro quo…

What do you think of the persons who frequent these forums as a whole (please be honest I promise not to flame you or anything)? What do you think their ages are? Where do you think they are from? What do you think is the male / female breakdown? What do you think their levels of education or erudition might be? What do you think their socioeconomic situations might be? Do you think that any of the persons here would be better or worse off in jail or prison than they are now? Are the people here despicable, normal, or laudable? What education and beliefs framed your thoughts on these questions?

Ok maybe you don’t need to answer any of those out loud, but please do bear them in mind while reviewing the answers that you receive.

Best wishes on your project.

I B

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  5. filaboi87

filaboi87 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    WOW guys thanks alot for all of your answers, honestly at first i did not expected such professional answers and thanks alot i am really started to get interested in this forum. But what a pity is that i did not have much of the knowledge about drugs. illuminati yup i meant that i never take illegal drugs in my life before. I am 19 this year um... and as i did not take illegal drugs before is it a wise choice for me just to try it once, how is it possible for a person to get addicted to a particular drug? i would like to hear from you guys opinion before you know before making out some decisions as i`m really curious just how it feels like to take drugs.

6. Hotboxed151

Hotboxed151 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I have to disagree with you on this one illuminati. Cannibus has never had an overdose nor died from pot.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  7. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Many drugs are difficult to overdose on, death in general terms cannot result from LSD, Cannabis or Mushrooms among others in overdose. On a side note overdosage is possible on cannabis it's just not fatal. Anyone heard of a WHITEY ;).

Ill answer the question from filaboi87 later tonight, im alittle busy atm

8. illuminati boy

illuminati boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    ^Hotboxed151
    The therapeutic index for THC could probably range between about 2,000 and 80,000 depending on what numbers you choose to use. The therapeutic index for LSD could range between 120 (Erowid’s suggested LD-50 and an assumed ‘standard’ dose of 100 µg.) and 110,000 (Trout’s numbers of 80 mg. / kg. for LD-50 and an assumed ‘standard’ dose of 50 µg. for a 150# / 68 kg. human). Based on a number of stories where persons survived 10,000 + doses, I am inclined to up the lower limit for LSD’s LD-50 to be 10,000.

So in summary:
    THC probably has a therapeutic index of 2,000 - 80,000
    LSD probably has a therapeutic index of 10,000 – 110,000

Which is safer? Both look pretty damn physically safe to me. Probably far safer than water in fact!

I B

PS I will also try to add more for the OP later.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  9. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Firstly neither I or anyone else on this forum encourage you to use any form of drug. The choices you make are your own.

Ok so a quick basic addiction lesson:

Physical addiction: caused by prolonged use of a drug which causes the body to become accustomed to the substance in questions therefore when it is removed the body goes through something known as withdrawal. If a drug is tried only once or very occasionally this is unlikely to result. (NB it has been known for people to suffer withdrawal from one dose of Heroin)

Psychological addiction: This is caused by the subject getting euphoria and other such feelings and experience from a drug that cannot be gained easily by other means. Therefore the brains reward systems and the subjects desires will begin to be based on the drug. Hence users crave the same experience and end up using more regularly.

Certain drugs like opiates, stimulants and the such tend to give very intense experiences and have a higher chance of causing psychological addiction, these are probably best stayed clear from at least until You has some experience with being in an altered state.

SWIFantasian's advice would be to use either cannabis as many argue that it is very safe, not very difficult to obtain and can be used quite socially. It also does not require great skill to administer. Or use a small dose of Mushrooms and experience that. These two are probably two of the safest in the dose sense and will provide you with an insight into being in an alterted state.

Just remember at least these 3 golden rules before using:

1) Know the effects, duration and dangers of the substance!
    This is essential, SWIF's friends have taken substances expecting them to last for only 2 or 3 hours and ended up with a 9 hour experience. This can be both frightening and impractical. Effects can also be very scary if they are not expected, this is why many people commonly agree that a sitter should be present on first time uses of substances or when using a large dose for reassurance and safety. And lastly remember that ALL drugs have dangers accociated with them, be aware of these and be willing to accept the conciquences if you do not respect them. Knowledge is power and in this case could in the least help you have a good time and at the most save your life.

2) Keep an eye on your use and frequency
    So many addicts of all types started out just "Trying" the substance and ended up being dominated on it. SWIF personally as undergone both Opiate and benzodiazapine withdrawal. It's horrible and terrifying! If you are experiencing the drugs to get new experiences and adventure through in that sense set yourself limits and stick to them. Withdrawal is not pleasent and will ensue if heavy drug use begins.

3) Lastly and most importantly, if things get really bad GOTO hospital
    Regardless of what you might here about drug overdoses and home remedies. Alot of this information is useless, remember when taking information from somewhere to take it with a pinch of salt unless it's backed by evidence. In the end you or your friend could die from misusing a drug (however this shouldnt happen if you follow the first rule) so if thats get pearshaped take him or yourself to hospital and let the professionals deal with it.

Not much more to add. Further questions are welcome

10. dnb warrior

dnb warrior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    ii am a teenager, and the most popular drugs among teenagers where i live are cannabis(weed), mdma(ecstasy), amphetamines(speed) and cocaine(coke). not forgetting alcohol which is just as much a drug despite its legal status. all of these drugs can cause problems and addiction although speed and coke probably more so than weed or ecstasy. crack and heroin are also popular although mainly used by older and more seasoned drug users they are widely regarded as the most addictive drugs (along with methamphetamine).

drugs are addictive because they allow anyone to experience a sensation of pure pleasure, regardless of their social standing, background or achievements in life.
    it can be enriching mentally or spiritually to experience drugs, which can feel like nothing you have ever known before. but it is also dangerous to take them often, because you run the risk of neglecting other aspects of your life, and relying only on drugs for pleasure. this way you can fall into a hole that is extremely difficult to climb out of.

you should make your own decision about whether to take drugs or not, but you should try to base your decision on as much knowledge as possible. erowid.org is the best source for knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009