1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - Please review: Psilocybe Mushroom Use Basics

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Alfa, May 5, 2005.

1. The rolling tank

The rolling tank Newbie

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    Hmm...The prints are just dark, not like the jet black ones I've seen pictures of well, thanks for the info, another thing I was wondering was where I would go looking for p. Baeocystis? I live in CT and was wondering if they grow in lawns, or if they prefer a more woodsy area? I know they're not quite in season yet, but wanted to be prepared

2. edwrdscissorhsh

edwrdscissorhsh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hey guys! I am new to mushrooms and was wondering. Do the gills need to be removed along with the spores from the mushrooms before they are consumed? Or can the entire mushroom be eaten?

Thanks for all the info and advice!!

3. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Nothing is removed from the mushroom, not spores, nothing.
    The only think you might want to remove is anything it might have been growning from if it has not been already cleaned, like Poo.

4. chinpokomaster

chinpokomaster Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    Mushroom spores aren't toxic to humans, even those of deadly species.

5. edwrdscissorhsh

edwrdscissorhsh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the information. I wouldn't know the first thing about mushrooms if it wasn't for this site.

6. Nanashi

Nanashi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Does anyone have experience or knowledge about smoking shrooms and the effect(or lack of) that it gives(or doesn't give)?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  7. Dark Mage

Dark Mage Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.
    Based on experience smoking Shrooms doesn't do anything but taste like crap and leaves a persons bowl nasty resinated with thick goop plus that taste doesn't come out for awhile without a real good scrubbing.

8. chinpokomaster

chinpokomaster Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    Just like to point out that in the original post, Psilocybe cubensis is mentioned as mexican mushrooms, when in fact they're Cuban (hence cubensis).

There is a mexican Psilocybe and that's a small mushroom related to Psilocybe semilanceata known as Psilocybe mexicana. P. mexicana is also a sclerotium-forming species and I was wondering if we had any data on the potency of these sclerotia in the same way as we do for those of P. tampanensis.

Sorry if one or more parts of this post are in the wrong place.

9. torma1985

torma1985 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.K.
    AFOAF was wondering about the same thing...

10. PerryStalsis

PerryStalsis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Here's something that my neighborhood Christ came up with, and I don't have an answer. This particular Christ (not Jesus, this was actually Floyd Christ) had an evening where he decided to take enough P. cubensis to have a good time. He didn't measure anything, but he took one stalk, soaked it in warm water for 15 minutes, then drank the tea and ate the stalk. To him, the flavor wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said to him, and he was about an hour into his alleged trip (he started when the movie did, so he could time it) with nothing happening, so he just ate another stalk, chewing on it very thoroughly over several minutes. About another fifteen minutes later, he ate another stalk, then a small fragment.

Outside of a slightly upset stomach, Floyd experienced nothing out of the ordinary. Any ideas? This was Floyd's first experience, and his source is trustworthy.

11. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Were you only sold stems, with no caps?
    Thats a great way to con someone.

How much did you take?
    You cant expect certain effects without knowing what weight you took.

12. Mind_Expansion

Mind_Expansion Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from scotland
    Very nice table, but I think that it is worth mentioning that a first time tripper may be caught out by the use of the word 'medium'. For example, a newbie may look at this and take 2.5 - 3 grams of dried cubensis expecting a mild trip, and then become totally overwhelmed.

I have had some pretty intense experiences on 3g of cubensis and despite now being completely comfortable with with this dose, can not see myself going higher anytime soon. For ME, and this is just me personally, anything in excess of 3 grams is a 'high' dose.

They grow all over the world in warm climates not just Cuba, they are named Cubensis because Cuba is where they were first discovered.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  13. PerryStalsis

PerryStalsis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Floyd got two capsules with almost no caps. Apparently Floyd is a newbie and didn't understand that about the caps. Most of what he has is stalks. He didn't weigh things because he was too impatient, but if you look at 1 paperclip = 1 gram, he took several grams. Like he told me, 3 stalks (about 2 inches long) and one small fragment. He's pretty sure two of the stalks had caps underneath all that white mold, though. Right now he has a few stalks and about 5 caps, though only two of the caps aren't covered in white mold. Advice given on this very site says the white mold doesn't matter. Is that true? I've read that it doesn't matter which part of the shroom you take, as long as it's been grown properly, no infections, no black or blue spots, etc. Now Floyd doesn't know what to think. Thanks for responding, by the way.

14. squeeze

squeeze Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.S.A.
    Hey all...i live on a cattle farm in ohio and have had no luck this year ....assuming due to the cold weather. Will laying down straw on top of the patties get them going? Thx

15. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Mushrooms don't just grow from 'patties', if there are no spore there to begin with then its obviously not going to happen.
    Even if there are the likelihood of them growing is very small.

Mushrooms release millions and millions of spores, only a very small amount eventually end up completing the cycle.

16. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from Slovakia
    The original post needs a change. There is no such thing as "Psilocybe McKennaii" - it's merely another strain of Cubensis. AND there's NO CHANCE it's as potent as Azurescens (according to the table). Some are more potent than others, sure, but a Cube is a Cube (for the most part).

17. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    Actually what is found in shops as psilocybe McKennaii nowadays is not the same as the potent species coming from the Netherlands 12 years ago. It was definitely of that strength. It also had different effects than you would expect from a cubensis mushroom. A cube was not merely another cube in this case. According to the grower it was down to a special growing trick which he wouldn't disclose.
    What is available now is indeed just another cube. So based upon that the original post indeed needs a change.

18. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from Slovakia
    Wow. Special growing trick? That sounds.. interesting! Thanks Alfa, never heard of "growing tricks" that would increase potency much, despite being Shroomery member.

I wonder why they would stop selling the potent one?

19. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    Potency is always dependent upon growing conditions, substrate and strain condition. These 3 factors are often highly underestimated. A good example is the potency of psilocybe truffles. a decade ago psilocybe tampanensis truffles were of very low potency with a dose of 35 -50 grams. Nowadays its in the range of 10-15 grams, with some varieties of the same strains being branded under fancy names because of their extreme potency.

Look at what Paul Stamets is doing with his medicinal mushrooms. He is breeding his strains in such a way to optimize & develop medicinal qualities.
    A strain is not just a strain. Each mushroom from the same strain and even from the same batch varies.

Magic Mushrooms have become illegal in the Netherlands in 2008. So there is no possibility for growing mushrooms. Only growkits are legal here. They stopped selling anything other than cubensis growkits.