Drug info - Pma

Discussion in 'Phenethylamines' started by Guest, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Can anyone add information about PMA , para-Methoxyamphetamine

• names / synonyms
    • molecule
    • dose
    • duration
    • side effects
    • legal status
    • have there been any reported incidents with this compound?
    • since when has this research chemical been available?
    • stability of the molecule / compound

[​IMG]

Names: PMA, 4-MA, Death", "Dr. Death", "Chicken Powder", "Chicken Yellow, 4-methoxyamphetamine
    IUPAC Name: 1-(4-methoxyphenyl)propan-2-amine
    CAS Number: 64-13-1
    Formula: C10H15NO*
    Molar Mass: 165.232g/mol

Schedule I according to the UN

Pihkal Entry
    DOSAGE: 50–80 mg.
    DURATION: short.
    QUALITATIVE COMMENTS: (with 60 mg) “At just over an hour, there was a sudden blood pressure rise, with the systolic going up 55 mm. This was maintained for another hour. I found the effects reminiscent of DET, distinct after-images, and some parasthesia. I was without any residue by early evening (after 5 hours).”
    (with 70 mg) “It hit quite suddenly. I had a feeling of druggedness, almost an alcohol-like intoxication, and I never was really high in the psychedelic sense.”

EXTENSIONS AND COMMENTARY: This is another of the essential amphetamines, because of the appearance of the 4-methoxy group in two most important essential oils. These are the allylbenzene (estragole or esdragol) and the propenyl isomer (anethole). Their natural sources have been discussed under TMA.

Two comments are warranted concerning 4-MA, one of scientific interest, and the other about a social tragedy.

A major metabolites of amphetamine is 4-hydroxyamphetamine, from oxidation at the 4-position. It has been long known that with chronic amphetamine usage there is the generation of tolerance, which encourages ever-increasing doses to be used. When the daily load gets up around one or two hundred milligrams, the subject can become quite psychotic. The question was asked: might the chronic amphetamine user be methylating his endogenously produced 4-hydroxyamphetamine to produce 4-methoxyamphetamine (4-MA), and maybe this is the agent that promotes the psychosis? To address this question, several studies were done with normal subjects, about 20 years ago, to see if 4-MA might produce a psychotic state (it didn’t at the highest levels tried, 75 milligrams) and to see if it was excreted to some extent unchanged in the urines of these normal subjects (it was seen even at the lowest dosage tried, 10 milligrams). It produced excitation and other central effects, it produced adrenergic pressor effects, and it consistently produced measurable quantities of 4-MA in the urine, but it produced no amphetamine-like crazies. And since the administration of up to 600 milligrams of amphetamine produced no detectable 4-MA in the urine, this theory of psychotomimesis is not valid.

On the tragic side, a few years later, 4-MA became widely distributed in both the US (as the sulfate salt) and in Canada (as the hydrochloride), perhaps inspired by some studies in rats that had reported that it was second only to LSD in potency as a hallucinogen. The several deaths that occurred probably followed overdose, and it was clear that 4-MA was involved as it had been isolated from both urine and tissue during post mortems. It had been sold under the names of Chicken Power and Chicken Yellow, and was promoted as being MDA. I could find no record of a typical street dosage, but comments collected in association with the deaths implied that the ingested quantites were in the hundreds of milligrams. Recently, the ethoxy homologue, 4-EA, appeared on the streets of Canada. The dosage, again, was not reported. It was promptly illegalized there.

The two positional analogues of 4-MA are known; vis., 2-MA and 3-MA. Their synthesis is straightforward, in imitation of that for 4-MA above. The meta-compound, 3-MA, has been metabolically explored in man, but no central effects were noted at a 50 milligram dose (2×25 milligrams, separated by three hours). There appears to be no report of any human trial of 2-MA. The N-methyl homologue of 2-MA is a commercial adrenergic bronchodilator called Methoxyphenamine, or Orthoxine. It has been used in the prevention of acute asthma attacks in doses of up to 200 milligrams, with only slight central stimulation. The N-methyl homologues of 3-MA and 4-MA are known, and the latter compound is the stuff of a separate entry in this book.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  2. voacanga

voacanga Newbie

Reputation Points:
    no, pma sux, its a piece of shit chemical usually cut into xtc, and has already claimed many lives. if you are thinking about messing with pma, i would suggest staying far away. trust me, i know. its a dud

3. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It is very toxic. It has a very narrow range between an effective dose and a potentialy lethal dose.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  4. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    This was ane of Schulgin's early inventions, which he was not impressed
    with. He noted a very dangerous increase of blood pressure when it was
    administered test subjects-- apparently not much of a high either. (See
    PIHKAL)

5. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It mey be helpful, for those looking, to know that Shulgin called this
    compound 4-MA.

6. asystole

asystole Newbie

Reputation Points:
    "PMA (paramethoxyamphetamine) is a hallucinogenic amphetamine, unlike MDMA. Approximately eight years ago a large batch of PMA tablets was introduced to the Ecstasy market in Europe, manufactured by someone who most likely was trying to avoid the penalties associated with MDMA. Another reason why PMA may have been introduced on the market is that precursor chemicals used to make it are more readily available and not as strictly controlled, so that the expense and risk of purchasing precursors to MDMA are avoided. The problem is that PMA is an extremely dangerous compound. It was experimented with in the 1970s, when people were looking at various psychoactive compounds, but it never became a popular recreational drug, because some people died. The dose level that appears to be somewhat safe is below 50mg, but at doses even slightly higher than that, the heart rate and blood pressure can rise dramatically."

"... And body temperature as well. So an Ecstasy user is unlikely to die or experience serotonin syndrome or a heatstroke reaction (hyperthermia) if they take only one pill that contains PMA. If they take three or four, however, they are very likely to have a severe adverse reaction. There have been probably more than two dozen deaths resulting from PMA overdoses."

exerpt from Ecstasy: The Complete Guide

7. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    there are regular reports of PMA overdoses coming out of South Australia, a rash of them about every year. in each case, the victims thought they were taking MDMA tablets.

since PMA takes longer to work than MDMA, some thinking it was weak take more. PMA howvever is highly toxic, the symptoms are horrific and include a complete shutdown of your internal thermoregulation system - your cellular machinery melts from the inside...

8. college

college Newbie

Reputation Points:
    PMA is BAD news. horrifying experience. Especially when your not expecting it. The person I am refering to is lucky they are still alive.

9. Euphoric

Euphoric Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
  10. Raoul duke420

Raoul duke420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Some bad shit.

11. Digemlo

Digemlo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I know this is an old topic, but since it has been bumped, I feel I should comment--

PMA can cause Parkinsonism.

12. Mint boi

Mint boi Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Source?

(not doubting, but would like a source!)

13. Pondlife

Pondlife Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    This is not addressing the parkinson's issue, but it shows how nasty PMA can be.

http://www.jatox.com/abstracts/2001/october/649-martin.htm

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
Tags: