1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Poppy seed tea withdrawal, day 6, loperamide complication, advice?

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by Kilr0yy, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Kilr0yy

Kilr0yy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Watertown, MA, United States
    Hey everyone,

My first post here. Long story short, I found myself doing way too much poppy seed tea for a long period of time. Most of the last 4-5 years. I am on day 6 of withdrawals, and my mega dosing loperamide is really coming back to haunt me. Day 5 was finally bearable, but that was only because my last dose of loperamide (60mg) was taken on day 4. On day 5, I significantly cut the lope down to just 30mg taken as 20mg then 10mg on day 5. Was surprised at how bearable day 5 was, but then woke up day 6 DEFINITELY withdrawing from the lope now. I have only taken 18mg lope today (day 6). I tried to take none (wishful thinking), but was just horrible...almost day 1 miserable. I must admit that I have now, on day 6, taken probably a 1/20th dose of poppy tea to just get some relief.

I understand PST is full of alkaloids and I'm withdrawing from all 40 of them. The lope is my concern now, in addition to how much my tiny PST dose will reset the initial withdrawal.

I want to finally quit, I really do, and I have managed all week off of work, but I have to return in about 6 days. I'm pretty worried that I'm not going to be able to hack it. Tired of failing and letting everyone I care about down.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    I should mention that my dosage eventually became astronomical depending on the quality of the seeds, and that I quit cold turkey.

2. Kilr0yy

Kilr0yy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Could use some support here. My cold turkey of huge amounts of poppy seed tea is on day 8. My dosage was immense, larger than most other PST threads that I have read. I am now on day 8. I am finding that my loperamide doses were too high in the first few days and now I am still really struggling. I caved on days 5, 6, and 7 with very micro doses of tea at progressively lower doses. By day 5, 6, 7 I was also withdrawing from lope. My tea doses on those days were probably 1/15th my old dose on day 5, then 1/30th on day 6, 1/45th on day 7. Now on day 8 and I'm thinking that I overdid it with the loperamide reductions so quickly from mega dose on day 4 (probably 100mg total) to 18mg on day 6. I have taken no tea on day 8 but raised my loperamide dose back to about 40mg.

My body is just going haywire right now and after 8 days that is not what I was hoping for. This was when I had hoped to be turning the corner. Have to return to work on Monday and have a family vacation coming up in a few weeks.

I am thinking that my best option is to stick with a slow lope taper from this point because if I drop everything now I will be in full acute withdrawal by Monday which is when I return to work (a particularly busy time there, also). The pressures just feel overwhelming. Not that I don't want to quit, but I am really feeling like I have failed. I did not want to come out of this week off from work with a lope habit instead of a tea habit but that is how it is looking like it will work out.

Sorry for rambling, but I have a lot on my mind and nowhere else for it to go.

3. aemetha

aemetha Insomniac Member Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    My advice for you would be to look into kratom to manage your withdrawal. If the loparamide looks like it's going to be required for a longer period than you anticipated, that could be very harmful in the longer term, and kratom while not without risks is a safer choice.

If you do go ahead with that suggestion, then a slow taper sounds like a very good idea. Don't get hung up on how much you're reducing each day or week, instead focus on just making sure you are reducing each day. It can be helpful to organise your doses in advance with incrementally smaller amounts so you aren't just dipping into a bag. @KratomKing may be able to give you some advice on strains and dosages.

Other than that, try supplementing some valerian root extract, passion flower extract, zinc and magnesium as all have benefits in managing opioid detoxification.

4. Kilr0yy

Kilr0yy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sadly I live in one of the few states which has already outlawed Kratom. I had tried it early on in my problem with minimal success. Ah, the government. Believe me, I have searched and searched. None of the vendors will ship to my state. I do appreciate your thoughts.

5. aemetha

aemetha Insomniac Member Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    Okay, sorry to hear that. Try the supplements I suggested anyway as they really can help.

6. Kilr0yy

Kilr0yy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thank you, will do. I have a few of the substances that you mentioned so I will give them a try. It would help if I had been healthier going into this...but that's the nature of the beast.

Note: As for the loperamide, I am trying to find the positivity in that I can maintain myself right now at 40mg per day instead of the crazy mega doses that you read about. If I can hold myself here, with zero tea going forward, that would be huge. It is just the damned responsibilities of life standing in the way. I find myself jealous of celebrities who can manage to just drop out of sight for months. I feel that my mind would be in a lot better place if I did not have so much coming up this month at work and at home.