1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Experience Report - Poppy seed tea

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by Emilita, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Emilita

Emilita Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I have wanted to try poppy seed tea for a while, the following is my experience report.

Setting: home
    Prescribed medication: diazepam, Escitalopram, lorazepam.
    Drugs taken in the last 48 hours: cannabis and escitalopram.

00:00 - Tared off my 2 litre empty bottle and weighed 200 grams of poppy seeds bought in bulk from my local grocer. I used tap water that was on a warm temperature to measure 1L of water, rolled and cut my lemon in half and squeezed the lemon juice through my fingers to catch the seeds. I poured the warm lemon water into the bottle and started to shake, roughly 2 minutes of hard shaking. I placed my cheese cloth over the top of the bottle and used a rubber band to keep it place and poured squeezed the bottle to remove all water. I repeated the process exactly the same again but instead l did my rinse for about 10 minutes. This gave me an end product of about 500ml of PST.

00:30 - Went outside on my veranda with 2L of water plus glass of PST and slowly sipped on both. Not sure why anyone complains about the taste, it was easy to drink and didn't taste bad at all. I would take it any day over green tea. I'm not sure if it is because l used fresh lemon and not the bottled kind.

01:00 - feeling euphoria, overall heaviness in my muscles and tingling on my skin. I decided that it would be better to edge on caution and l put the glass with half the tea back in the fridge. My last play around with opiate was codeine and that was back at least 6 months so l assume l have zero tolerance.

01:30 - Monitoring my heart rate and it's at about 90 - 100 bpm which is relatively high considering lm lazing with my cat, not sure but l might sip on some more tea.

02:00 Chilling with my cat, listening to Radiohead and working on some art projects.

02:30 - Having some seriously painful stomach weirdness going on, loud gurgling and pressure. I think taking it on an empty stomach most likely wasn't the best idea. I thought it would be time to re-dose again so l drank the remaining amount of tea and considering making some more since l can feel its effects but it's relatively mild. I still have enough seeds for a second batch.

03:30 - l ended up creating a new batch of tea and drinking half of it, again it didn't taste bad and no issues drinking it. I'm not sure why people need to add cordial to it, the taste is just slightly earthy but very tame.

04:10 - itchy and sleepy, curled up listening to music and reading news articles. I can understand why people like PST, it's very soothing and gentle warmth that slowly trickles over your body. My heart rate has dropped to 68 - 64 bpm and a bit of itchiness.

05:00 - Chopped up a bowl and smoked some cannabis, there is a synergy with these two drugs. I still have half a glass left, roughly 300ml and l might have the remaining amount and do some baking/cooking.

06:20 - I realised l hadn't eaten anything all day so l made an asain salad with some left over roast chicken from the night before and drank some water. Well l spewed up what l ate, it wasn't uncomfortable or bad. This same thing happens when l take anything that is stimulating (amps, mdma, modafinil). This drug makes me feel pretty mellow, it's nice to actually be able to relax for the first time in a long time, lm definitely appreciating the idea l had of trying PST and spending the day doing my hobbies.

07:40 - damn, spewed again but it feels like all the nausea is gone. Normally l have a very active internal monologue but this seems to have given me a break from it.

08:10 - l can feel it starting to back off and diminish, its only slowly coming off but l would say l can still feel about 80% of the high l had before.

08:30 - Feeling light-headed when l walk around, still experiencing euphoria and that warm feeling but it doesn't pair well with feeling woozy.

09:30 - The high has diminished significantly but l am finding it's far more enjoyable. I drank it to fast and should have waited at least 2 hours before re-dosing but definitely too much for someone who has a low tolerance to opiates.

11:40 - Spewed again, felt better and might wander off to bed.

So woke up the next day expecting to feel rotten but instead l had a nice afterglow. Not sure if you want to call it that but l expected to feel sick based on the experience reports l've read. I'm not sure if l will use poppy seed tea again. I would rate it 6/10 for a drug experience, l would give it higher rating but l drank it to fast and made myself sick but overall it was an interesting experience.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Emilita

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I've done poppy seed tea a few more times. One of these times l varied from the standard recipe, l expected dud results because of this but chose to go ahead with it anyway.

I ran out of lemons, l don't have lemon concentrate so l thought okay well lets try white vinegar so l check my laundry (it makes towels extra fluffy) and didn't have any. Since cooking is a big hobby l checked and found 'white wine vinegar'. I kind of estimated the dosage but maybe approximately 2 tablespoons of it to batch and did the rest as usual.

Well holy crap, this floored me and no nausea or issues like the first time. It got to the point where l tried 13 times to write a reply to a post but kept nodding out and having to reremember my superb point and actually reply. Well l ended up giving up.

The actual quantity of the seeds was only 200g (203g to be precise) and water was roughly the same temperature which is heated, warm but not hot. The seeds also came from the same vendor and were apart of the larger batch. I'm on the same medicine, no additional drugs, on an empty stomach (same as every time) and no environmental changes.

I just am surprised at such a vastly different response.

I guess l am just wondering if anyone has had the same response? Or if they could explain why there would be a difference between vinegar vs fresh lemon juice.

Curiosity more than anything.

3. aemetha

aemetha Insomniac Member Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    You mustn't do this. Using acetic acid with codeine (which is present in opium) may result in the creation of 6-Monoacetylcodeine which is rather toxic from what I've read. One of the chemistry boffins might be able to confirm or deny this, or provide additional information.

4. perro-salchicha614

perro-salchicha614 Twitchy Mess Titanium Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    from Headache City
  5. aemetha

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    Okay, I'm a little confused because this thread suggests that the combination with codeine produces it too https://drugs-forum.com/threads/acetic-anhydride-on-cfo-6mac.88264/#post-600800

That thread you linked is talking about converting morphine isn't it? The thread I linked where I found the information is about the conversion of codeine. Not sure how that affects it though.

I honestly don't know, my knowledge of chemistry isn't sufficient for this, but I would like a definitive answer as far as safety goes. I don't know what the chemistry qualifications of the people posting in either of those threads are.

6. Docta

Docta Idiot Savant Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia

Correct.

The quantity of acetic acid in white vinegar is miniscule, around 5-8% enough to protonate any freebase alkaloids present in solution making them stay dissolved at a lower (drinkable) temperatures; nowhere near the concentration of the glacial acetic acid needed for the esterification/acylation type reaction to create 6-MAC or 6-MAM as the presence of so much water makes this transformation virtually impossible.

Incorrect...ish

I'm no expert in opiate chemistry so forgive me if I use molecular chemistry jargon, I'm not trying to be a smartass I just don't understand it well enough to simplify the explanation.

Where only the hydroxyl group at position 6 is being acetylated anhydrides are not necessary or advantages because of poor atom economy, therefore conc. acetic acid (carboxylic acid) derived from vinegar could be used in the direct acetylation of alcohols with carboxylic acid (Fischer–Speier)

The reason acetic anhydride is used is as mentioned previously "water". The disadvantage of direct acetylation with acetic acid is an unfavorable chemical equilibrium where reaction water needs to be extracted as the reaction progresses, via Dean-Stark distillation etc. this driving the reaction to the right making a more favorable chemical equilibrium. This is not a problem for a skilled operator but if you don't know how to use the Dean-Stark apparatus, molecular sieves or calculate stoichiometric quantity's of acid catalyst its just simpler the use acetic anhydride (Wright-Beckett).

The chemistry for the acylation of morphine or codeine are essentially the same so it (the link) is relevant to some extent,

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  7. MDMAZING1

MDMAZING1 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from UK
    I don't know much about how to prepare this stuff, but I do know that poppy seeds can vary significantly in their potency.

Your first batch might have a little morphine but mostly codeine, then your second one has a lot of morphine and little codeine.

Basically for the sake of anyone reading this in the future considering doing it - DO NOT REDOSE TOO QUICKY. Start off with a small amount and wait for the effects and bear in mind that you might reside with the half the weight of the original dose but that you could actually be taking the same amount as the first dose or more.

They do seem to be particularly dodgy because I don't know how you get around the fact that you don't know how much of what drug you're ingesting each time.

People have overdosed because of this problem, it's not uncommon so just stick to low amounts I guess. Overalls it's hard to give advice on how to take a drug of unknown quantity.

8. aemetha

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    Thanks for the clarification @Docta

9. Emilita

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    @aemetha thank you for a prompt reply

@perro-salchicha614 thank you also for your prompt and helpful addition.

@Docta thank you for taking time to clarify the above information.

@MDMAZING1 yes, l was silly and made an error with my original PST experiement one which l not recreate again. Sometimes people like me need to make a mistake to learn a lesson.

I don't know about your theory since they all came from the same batch from the same source at the same time. I don't know how suddenly they could only release codeine and not morphine but as it has been noted all over this section poppy seeds do vary.

So appears that white wine vinegar isn't such a bad thing to use but l should stick to lemons if l decide to use again in the future. I am not sure, l have a pretty busy schedule lately so as far as foreseeable future l don't have the time to do experiment anymore with this particular drug.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017