1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Addiction - Poppy Tea - How often can if be used without experiencing major withdrawals?

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by jsolo, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jsolo

jsolo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    50 y/o from U.S.A.
    Hi,

I have been drinking Poppy Tea about 2x a week and using Kratom about 1-2x a week as well (3-4 days off a week) for the past month. He has experienced very mild withdrawals: runny nose, slight chills/sweats. These are very tolerable as there is no real depression, anxiety or insomnia.

Prior to the last month I was taking kratom 3-4 per week for a couple months, and experiencing some of the same mild WDs. I have gone 3-5 days with no kratom and didn't experience any stronger withdrawals.

I was thinking that he would be able to avoid experiencing any major Withdrawals if he takes 3-4 days off a week with no tea or kratom. However, I was reading that poppy tea can be tricky with many long lasting alkaloids, and that tea withdrawals may not seriously start until 3-4 days after last use (the longest I have gone in the past month with neither tea nor kratom is 3 days). This has SWIM concerned.

So his question is what have others found to be a safe number of times to drink poppy tea per week? Or a safe number of times per week taking either tea or kratom?

jsolo added 5 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

To clarify usage:

Poppy tea - made from 12 small/medium or 2-3 large/jumbo sized pods drank over a couple hours

Kratom - Premium Indo capsules, 8 grams

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. Doctor Who

Doctor Who Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Once a week might be safe, once every 10 days would be safe if you wish to avoid habituation/withdrawal ( based on over 20 years of experience with this most useful "folk" remedy ), everyone has different body chemistry and what works for one, might not be best for someone else & it also depends on the reason for it's use, weather it is for medical or recreational purpose & Remember Fresh Pods are Much More Potent than dried ones! Also, A word of advice about poppy tea & drug tests... a friend was using poppy tea for minor-pain and was drug tested when seeking a new job, it came-up positive 6 days after last cup of tea and showed she had been using over 50 "illegal" substances ( on Gas Chromatography retest ), probably due to the tricky Opium alkaloids!!! PEACE!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. gvsulaker82

gvsulaker82 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thats like asking someone, "will I get burnt if I play too close to the fire?" The answer is yes, of course. I have been there and done that, and knows there is no turning back once you start. But its a choice you have to make and undoubtedly one you have already decided. It starts 2-3 times a week maybe for a few months and then its 3-4 times a week, and then its once daily, twice daily, there is no control when it comes to such powerful drugs.

4. DocBrock

DocBrock Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My badger reports minor withdrawal from poppy tea after three days use of 3-5 giant heads per brew.
    After a week of it, he got flu like symptoms for a day or two. Usually though, it's just a weekly treat, just as some folk like to have a beer or two, he likes a brew.
    In contrast, a friend of ours gets nothing if he partakes daily for three days, but after a week of hitting the tea, he looked like mildly warmed death. Blanched, sweating and shivering. He said it was close to when he gave up H!
    It all depends on the person, but after years of use, the advice from my pet is if you find yourself brewing daily for more than 3-4 days, give it a break for a couple of weeks to let your tolerance drop and to ensure you don't get too hooked.
    We can't comment on kratom as neither of us has used it.

5. OPIamore

OPIamore Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    i agree with the last 2 posts.. in my friends experience with pods, which he used to maintain daily for a year or so and what seemed to be a good idea because of cost and ease of obtaining turned out to be more than he bargained for. it made a hefty tolerance even heftier and the WDs were horrible. he would compare them to methadone WDs... what you may or may not realize is that you end up WDing from 7 alkaloids as opposed to to just one. in my friends experience when WDing from pods nothing else seemed to help once in WDs. it was very hard to get better. just his experience tho. any sort of regular to semi regular use of opiates/opioids will result in WDs.

6. Chaz5773

Chaz5773 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My Friend use to get it mailed to Him 30 pods per box organic no cracks with plenty of seeds in them. He got Tazmainian which is the most potent Opium Poppy Period. He cracked it got the seeds out and grinded it up in a coffee grinder. It had dry gue inside each pod so He busted it up not too fine but fine enough. Then He poured 2 cups of water to a cup of ground poppy pod. He got it hot but not boiling just to the point of about too. So then He let it sit and cool down, once it did He took cheese cloth and strained into a big coffee cup. Then He squeezed it untill there was no more juice left and it was about a dry powder. Then He made a hot not boiling seperate organic mint tea, let it cool then added it to His poppy tea with a spoonfull of honey. While the poppy tea was still alittle hot.

Stirred it up good and drank it down. Took a tylenol too I think He did Just a few minutes before He drank His tea. And WOW He was bouncing all over the place kinda hyped up and said it is way better than Hydros. He said it was EXTREMLY Euphoric and pain free. He said it lasted longer than hydrocodone's did. He was very joyful. But He also found out a couple days later if Ya take too much it made Him extremly sick vomicing and just horror. So He had to find the right amount of pods to use the hard way. And like any opium as days go by doing it everyday it took Him more and more to get that Pain free Euphoric feeling. Well He ended up quitting because He said it was more addicting than hydrocodone and more potent. Strange Friend I got lol.

Chaz5773 added 21 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Now that was about 3 years ago so My Friend don't know how buying poppy pod sceen is now.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. jeorgewbusch

jeorgewbusch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Stick to the kratom. There's 2 really good reasons for this. The first, and most important in my opinion, being that kratom is not a felony to posess in the U.S. The second reason is that kratom has far few and less severe withdrawals that any opiate AND it is used for opiate withdrawals in southeast Asia.

8. gvsulaker82

gvsulaker82 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I used PPT for over a year once to twice daily. He went on vacation to Florida back in May of 2010 so he quit using a couple of weeks before he went as he had no supply in Florida. The withdrawal was the worst ten days of his life. He bought one more box in june, ended up throwing some of it away. Never used it again. Just couldnt go through the withdrawals again. He has withdrawn from kratom several times since then, no extracts just regular leave once daily for months at a time. The withdrawals in his opinion are weak compared to PPT but they vary from person to person. He had more mental and emotional anguish from withdrawing from kratom and not too much physical. He found the hardest thing to do was to combat the boredom he was not accustomed to. When he withdrew from PPT he had the worst physical, mental and emotional withdrawals possible. The addiction level for PPT in his opinion is much, much worse than that of kratom, but both are drugs and you can get addicted very easily.

9. Lady Codone

Lady Codone Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM experienced no physical withdrawals when she used to use pods on every 4th day. The problem was putting those three days between her doses :D She eventually started using daily, which went on for 4 years and stopped about 4 months ago.

The length of time it takes for withdrawals to set in varies from person to person and depends a lot on how large each dose is. In theory, a once-a-week user who chugs 5 strong glasses of tea and then swallows the ground up pods could have more severe withdrawals than someone who drinks only one or two glasses every third day or so.

10. Viscerok

Viscerok Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I hate the withdralls'. I have been using on and off for about 2 years now. I usually binge for 3 days. Stay lit the whole time, then walk away for a couple of weeks. The days after sucks because it finally leaves the system. My knees and lower back kills me to no end, and the soft stool comes. When I'm rollin', I can't crap, and it sucks, then it comes in a fury.

I would recommend doing no more than once a week to avoid discomfort.

11. ratgirldjh

ratgirldjh Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    58 y/o from U.S.A.
    my rattie girl get w/d from eating even small doses of ground pods for 3 - 5 days. at first she was shocked when this happened! however she feels ground poppy pods are one of the easiest things to taper off of. she just does a little less every few days until she is down to almost none and then jumps off. no w/d this way.

what my rat did was to grind up her pods and she found that each one was approximately 3 tablespoons of powder. so she would go down at first like 1 tablespoon every few days and she would wait to feel mild w/d before she doses.

then when she got down to just a few tablespoons of the powder she went down more slowly - 1 teaspoon every few days or weekly. then when she got down to 1 teaspoon she stayed for a while and was surprised to find that she would still get mild w/d if she stopped suddenly so tapered all the way down to 1/4 teaspoon!!! was very easy and she had virtually no w/d after stopping this!

12. pipsoup

pipsoup Newbie

Reputation Points:
    47 y/o from U.S.A.
    Since DEA prohibit poppy pod, it is hard now to buy poppy pods in US and Canada to make poppy tea. About the "dose", I read that we should use 2-3 medium size pods with a cup of water. 3-4 for experienced and over 5 pods may cause poppy tea addicted.

That is just I what I found on searching

13. Phaeton

Phaeton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    65 y/o from Alaska, U.S.A.
    I have been on script opiates for many years. Recently acquired a supply of fresh pods and after testing it turned out one pod worked very similar to two script doses. Minor side effects (backache, headache) not associated with the script tablets, but these went away after a week.

Out of curiosity the daily intake was upped until the effects could be 'felt' each time. In three days the consumption had quadrupled. The rate of tolerance increase build up did not seem to be slowing down using subjective feelings to moderate dosage, not even a little, kinda scary. Three days was enough to tell me what I needed to know.

Going back to script level dosages still works for my needs, but surprised at how fast tolerance will build if allowed to.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  14. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Jsolo, the problem is you are using two similarly addictive substances, kratom and poppy.

This is like drinking tequila one day and bourbon the next while trying to avoid alcoholism. While possibly (slightly) better than taking the one substance everyday, the two substances are likely resulting in a combined and/or multiple addiction.

My advise would be to stop with the PST and slowly taper off the Kratom by reducing dosage approx 20% every 4-5 days, before stopping and replacing with 6 X Loperamide, then taper that the same way.

From reading your post regarding the frequency of use, I would guess you are well on the way to both addiction and dependence.

You are simply not leaving enough time for the drugs to leave your system. Think of it like this: PPT takes 3-4 days to properly exit your system. So if you use for two days, then have 2-3 days off, then use for two days, you are really using for approx 8 days.

You can generally use 1-2 days in a row as long as you leave it at least a week (ideally 10 days) before the next dose, but even this is playing with fire and most people eventually fall right in.

Besides due to your already prolonged use this simply does not apply. You would need to taper off, then take a break from all opiates for at least a month or two to reset dependence.

I think from where you are, you have three realistic options:

1) Taper off and take a break from all opiates. (my recommendation).
    2) Keep using, enjoy the rest of your honeymoon with opiates, then taper off down the track or if unable to do that apply for Suboxone from your doctor. (keep in mind by postponing the inevitable, the inevitable will grow like a guerrilla on your back).
    3) Go cold turkey now and tough the WDs out, preferably doing a loperamide taper.

Read through the Opiate section for more info on different taper techniques that have worked (or failed) for others.

I have been there, feel free to PM if you need to talk with someone that understands what you are going through.

15. Phaeton

Phaeton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    65 y/o from Alaska, U.S.A.
    Well, that explains why the cravings slammed me three days after reducing the dose. Six years of doing it by the label, I do a fun run just once and now I crave. Darn, thought I was immune.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012