Poppy Tea Preparation

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by Guest, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    PLEASE POST SWIM'S FAVORITE TEA RECIPE HERE

P. som. Tazmanian are supposed to be the strongest with up to 20 % M. The strain was "made" for pharmaceutical use. Seeds do work in theory, but you need very large amounts, way more than using grinded poppy pods.

About california poppy pods the opinions differ, i would not spend my money on those. Favoured are tazmanians, gigantheums, nigrums, persian whites, hen&chickens.

For tea its best to mix water and alcohol in a ratio 3:1. you can also use wodka or some other 40% alcohol. put your grinded pods into a cooking pot or whatever, cover it with your wodka and heat it up for 20 minutes (some prefer longer brews but 20 minutes are ok). do not exceed 80 C because Morphine starts to break down at temperatures higher than 85 C. Let it filter through a normal coffee filter then or a kitchen towel (the kitchen towel tea will be stronger, because more plant material will pass). drink it. it will taste gross. but the good medicine always tates gross...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  2. msimm

msimm Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.S.A.
    What about just eating the plant matter? SWIM always boiled his first,
    strained to make a small cup of tea (hate the taste) then ate all the
    remaining plant material. Seemed to work well (even when he got around
    to eating the then re-dried material the next day).

Anyone else? Seems more efficient then the double extraction (and all that tea drinking).

There was a good thread at poppies.org about fungicides/pesticides and the importance (or perceived importance) of washing them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Washing is a must. you never know. and also: when you get your pods, grind them all and put it together because some pods always contain more m or thebaine than others, while low m is only annoying, high thebaine really sucks. [​IMG]by mixing you have a steady level of all alkaloids. success!

4. msimm

msimm Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.S.A.
    I'll second mixing them all together. Its a good way to standardize
    your material, then you can begin by dosing carefully to establish a
    baseline and know every time you make tea from that batch your not
    going to get too much of anything. Getting sick really isn't any fun
    and we all know how much variation there can be in plant material.

5. tippsy25

tippsy25 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    so how many pods does SWIM need to make this tea, just enuff for him? do they have to be dried pods or are they suppoested to be fresh? can someone plz give him proper direction on how to make the tea from scratch....He has the plant in the back yard, its ready to be used......plz help

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Its always difficult to tell how much someone needs. i dont want to tell you something that makes you overdose. that wont kill you and make you throw up when it gets really bad but still. it depends on so many things: quality, size of the pods, your weight, youre tolerance to opies. for me when i havent consumed in a while 5 are enough. just take your bunch and look what the average size is. of those you take 4 grind them and messure that with a teaspoon - this wayyou know how much you need next time. have fun. and report us.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    tippsy i dont know what you mean by "from scratch" (you know..my english[​IMG]) butlet me guess:

option 1: you want to scratch the latex from your pods. depending on how many plants you have the stuff is definately the best. but usually you get far less than one gr. per plant especially when youre not used to harvesting and when you dont have many plants it isnt worth the work. if you do, you can still keep the plant and make tea out of that. using harvested o an over the thumb rule is that about 2 gr. kill someone who isnt used to it. i would use 1 gr.

option 2: "from the scratch" is a very cool way to say in english that you take your plant right from the place, fresh and green style. then you can just messure it like with dried poppies. although opinions differ also about that, if fresh plants are better. some say yes some say no. i once only needed 2 pods for a good bang from freshies but another time 5 had almost no effect.

so... i hope that helped you some.

8. tippsy25

tippsy25 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    well SWIM means the second one there....yes he has plants in the "back yard" and he wanna know how to make it after he pic them, as in, does he let them dry or fresh, but u asnwered that above, so he is gonna let them dry first as he is in no such hurry.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    You dont really need to dry them, i think the effect is pretty much the same. at least drying them doesnt make them stronger. just make sure you get all the stuff out of the grinder, it will pretty much stick on the walls. yes start with 3, 4 pods. only if you want to dry them for storing make sure that you dont cut them too early - the pods will shrink really bad. a golf ball can become a penny i can tell you. wait until the pod has hardened out then hang them upside down so the goodies can run in the pod. you can also use the stems so dont throw those away, youll just need more of them, maybe x3. but when you built in your garden i guess you want to make as much as possible of your plant.

so success!

10. msimm

msimm Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.S.A.
    I have always just used the pods and thrown the stems and seed out. You
    might get more alkaloids using them. he would start low with 2-3 pods,
    you might want to start with 2 using the whole thing just in case there
    are a lot of alkaloids in there. Its always better to be careful then
    to end up in the ER trying to explain yourself. Thats also why its good
    to buy a lot, spend the extra time grinding it all up before you use
    it, mixing it all together so you have a safe, standardised batch.
    People have died from tea, so don't go getting all reckless on us. =)

11. GDxCAT

GDxCAT Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have 60 poppy pods. they are about ~6"-8" each.

how many does Swim use for a cup of tea if he has low opiate tolerance?

Also, what is a good way of making the tea?

1. 3/5,
      decent questions to ask
      Sep 12, 2010
  12. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    There are many postings all over this forum about making poppy tea - Opiod chemistry is where they mostly are. Here is a link to a pretty standard method - Alcohol helps but is not absolutely necessary on making it. Iceolation is also pretty good, all you do to turn it into tea after is to heat it up. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
  13. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    personal recipe= use 1 oz of water per 3" (diameter) pod or 1 oz of water for 3 of the regular heads, use only the heads, 12 regular heads, 8 medium heads, or 4-6 jumbo/giganth heads. remove the seeds and the stems, crush the pod into a glass jar, add the juice of two lemons, then add VERY WARM, not hot or boiling water, and allow it to maciate for 20 minutes, pressing the pods with a wooden spoon every 2 or 3 minutes. you should end up with something that looks like VERY dark iced tea, strain it, add a LOT of sugar and try to down it in one gulp. you can tell its a flower [​IMG]. ALSO!!! potentiate it, for real. take some aceto and/or drink some juice beforehand, youll thank yourself later when youve still got plenty of pods.

1. 4/5,
      informative answer
      Sep 12, 2010
  14. BrugmansiaBrujo

BrugmansiaBrujo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Here's My recipe for poppy head tea. If made with plain water it
    usually tastes like ass. Make it this way for a beverage that
    tastes as good as it feels:

SWIM usually has a fairly easy time of coming across P. Somniferum v.
    giganthemum pods at the local flower shop. The nice little old
    lady in there sells them, 3-4 inches around, already drilled and the
    seeds gone, and the stems are only 1-2 inches long. Not the long
    stem ones you usually find at flower shops. They "must be for tea"
    instead of arrangements[​IMG] She sells
    them for $0.25 per pod, and these big pods, on average, weigh 5 grams
    each. That makes My tea buzzes a quarter, or 50 cents each,
    depending on how strong he wants it.

Anyway, from this source I find that 5 grams is usually a good starting
    point for a buzz. It's always better to specify a weight rather
    than how many pods, because different type pods weigh differrently each
    one. You can get a nice digital kitchen scale that weighs up to
    1KG, and can be selected for grams or ounces, at those kitchen supply
    stores for around $20.

Now you need to find some Yogi Tea (available from on-line herb shops,
    or your local health food store). Yogi Tea consists of a mix of
    cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom, ginger, cloves, fennel, and licorice
    root. Put about 1 teaspoon of yogi tea in 12 ounces of water (per
    serving), bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.

While the yogi tea is cooking, break up your pods by hand and place in
    a coffee grinder, grind it to a powder. After the 20 minutes of cooking
    the yogi tea, and with the heat still on the pot, add all the poppy
    head powder, and stir while heating for 2 minutes. Now turn off
    the heat and let it steep for 15-20 minutes more.

Run the whole mess through one of those wire-mesh kitchen strainers and
    into your cup. The wire mesh strainer will catch all the yogi tea
    bits, and the coarser pieces of poppy. Sweeten to taste with
    honey, drink and enjoy. A shot of Bailey's Irish Creme in there
    is nice too, but not needed. Either way it will be quite tasty.

Do not filter with coffee filters or the like, just use the coarse wire
    mesh strainer. It's OK and even desireable to have the fine poppy
    powder sludge in your cup, there's good stuff to make you happy in that
    sludge. So remember to keep stirring your cup as you drink it, to
    get all that sludge down the hatch.

As peeps have mentioned above, you CAN OD on poppy head tea. And
    to specify how many pods to use can be dangerous. In my
    experience, most of the pods have roughly the same strength to them by
    weight. But pods can be small, 1-1.5 inches diameter, and pods
    can be large, 3-4 inches diameter, or anything in between. 3-4
    small pods can be the same buzz as one giant one. So I urge
    anyone who wants to do this to buy a cheap digital kitchen food scale,
    and use it like a religion. Peeps who are not regular opiate users
    should start off with 5 grams by weight of pod material. You can
    always work your way up from there.

Don't be drinking or already drunk, and then decide to have poppy
    tea. The synergistic action of alcohol and opiates can kill
    you. Also as mentioned above, the buzz can take a while to come
    on, and it will last a long time, 8 hours easily. So if you take
    your tea made from 5 grams of pod material (defined as the dry pod flesh without any seeds or stems), and you think it might not
    be enough, wait 90-120 minutes after the first cup to be sure it isn't
    enough before you prepare a "booster" cup of tea. Please be safe,
    and enjoy[​IMG]

If you are using seeds and or stems, you'll need more than 5 grams dry
    weight material, as they are weaker than the pods. The entire
    plant, rooots, stems, leaves, seeds and pods contains opium, but the
    highest concentration is in the fleshy part of the pods.

Edited by: BrugmansiaBrujo

1. 3/5,
      very helpful and informative and good cautionary advice
      Oct 30, 2013
    2. 4/5,
      very well written introductory guide to poppy tea
      Jul 31, 2013
    3. 3/5,
      Thank you! After all the reading about tea, this was the best post yet! Now I just need a nice flower shop lady. hehee
      May 24, 2011
    4. 3/5,
      great newb info, thanks
      Jun 30, 2010
  15. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You can also make an opium resin by chopping up the dried pods and then soaking them your choice of solvent: SWIM prefers ethanol (everclear) mixed with water. He also throws in lemon juice and vitamin C tablets--as these supposedly activate more alkaloids... (?not sure... he's only done it in an acidic environment with lemon juice and vitamin C.)

I have soaked the ground pods from several days to several weeks... he hasn't noticed much difference after a couple of days soaking.

you filter out the solids (through a t-shirt or whatever)

and then you evaporate off the water/ethanol over low heat using multiple pans. you don't want to boil the water/ethanol because you could ruin the good stuff.

Use some big capsules (size-OO or OOO) and cram the resin junk in there. If it's too hard to work with, you can throw back some fresh ground pods to soak up the gooey-ness.

but as far as smoking vs. eating--I say EAT in capsules. it will blow your brains out! :crazy

1. 3/5,
      Great Info. Thanks for posting the capsule secret.
      Sep 10, 2012
  16. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    take 20 dried pods (of your common or garden Papaver somniferum) split them and empty pods of seed. Grind up the pods in a coffee grinder to make as fine a powder as possible. boil up some water (3 parts water to 1 part powder) in a pan when the water has boiled turn the heat down so the water is simmering and add in the powder. Give it a stir and leave to simmer for 30 mins.
    Strain the mixture through a seive to remove the larger plant material and put the resulting liquid back in the pan to simmer for a further 20 mins. filter the liquid through a coffee filter (this might take a few filtering sessions as the filters tend to clog up). Once the finer plant material is filtered the resulting liquid should be dark brown in colour and should also not be very thick in consistancy (if it is you used wither too little water or you havend simmered for long enough). The resulting liquid can be simmered to reduce amount even further down (you should leave yourself enough for 2 cups of tea). After this, add sugar or honey to taste and neck it. There are other methods, some people add lemon juice to make the liquid more potent, but if youve done this right you should get a good buzz.
    I am writing this now with a warm fuzzy from some tea he made earlier (in fact he is feeling a little nausious cos it was a bit too strong)
    So it does work and works well.

1. 3/5,
      as stated above, it can be dangerous to dose by # of pods.
      Dec 13, 2009
  17. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Its a great way to get an opium buzz (if you dont have a heavy tolerance to opiates that is). In my experience its good to read up on methods of making the tea and follw to the letter http://www.erowid.org/plants/poppy/poppy_info2.shtml

but you should experiment, I find adding more water and simmering longer seems to be a bit better.
    But dont rush it cos you will get a thick liiqud thats real hard to stomach.

18. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM prefers the Ice-O-Lation technique.

I'm sure it's here somewhere, but just to give the quick rundown, here's what you do:
    1. take dry pods from (source) and grind them up to powder in blender or coffee grinder.
    2. place powder in a large plastic jug from walmart.
    3. fill up jug with with water. Fill to exactly 4X the amount of powdered pods.
    4. leave water/pods at room temp for 2-4 hours. shake periodically.
    5. decant/pour liquid from from podwater into another container (SWIM pours thru a wire mesh collander thing. just don't pour pieces of powder into the new bottle if you can help it.)
    6. replace the pod vegetable material and refill original jug with water.
    7. Take new bottle and put in freezer. leave it there for several hours, until ice begins forming... now, watch ice-formation until about 1/3 or 1/2 of the water has turned to ice. When this happens...
    8. Strain out ice and solids thru metal wire collander thing again and throw out ice and solids.
    9. return ice-o-lated liquid to freezer.
    10. take your original jug of plant material and water and repeat steps 5 & 6 a couple more times, always adding to the original freezer bottle.
    11. keep pouring out bottle from freezer and tossing ice that has collected. Do this about 3-4 times...
    12. when you've pretty much exctracted everything from vegtable material (you'll know, the water is not nearly as brown), then toss out the chopped pod material.
    13. Once pods are tossed into trash, you can take your cold water from an ice-removal step, and actually run it ONCE through a coffee filter to remove those tiny bits of pod dust. this will take forever, and I usually cheat by stirring the shit around on the filter or by getting new filters out because the tiny particles clog and clump up around the filter.
    14. Now that you have clean brown water, you might want to try and freeze it one more time--it doesn't matter. as you'll notice, the ice is slower and slower to form, as result of the high concentration of alkaloids, morphine in particular.
    15. pour out your cold liquid onto glass pans and place in oven set at 150. If you want to be fast, leave oven open and set up fans blowing into and around oven to circulate out the humid air and to re-introduce 'dry air' to the oven.
    16. eventually, you'll have nothing but dried-on shit in your pans. Take a razor blade and scrape it all up. Now you've got nothing but great brown powder full of morphine or whatever it is that makes you feel good and itch like crazy. do whatever you want with this powder. eat it, smoke it, add it to your drinks, press into resin, whatever. it's yours. just don't shoot it!

1. 5/5,
      Thank you for sharing this info and TEK
      Apr 11, 2017
  19. tooktomuch

tooktomuch Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o
    do a search.

I has done this.

take 2 oz. of hens and chickens seeds and place in a jar. add lemon juice to just cover the seeds. swin lets this sit for about 2 to 3 hours stirring often. strain. and drink some of the juice if not all. but all the swims out there need to be warned that each dose can be different. sometimes just a little is needed and sometimes swim needs to drink all the juice.

you can also use to poppie pods. take a good variety ( I use hens and chicks ) crush up the pods, boil to pods in water then strain. the remaining juice can be drunk or, swim can pour the juice in a glass container , like a cake pan BUT made of glass. let all the water evaporate off. use a razor to scrape up the crystals and smoke them.

20. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Opium Tea

First time users may not want to use more than 3 pods, and increasing the amount should be done gradually since its impossible to know the alkaloid content before one inbibes the tea. So be careful and dont overdo it because an overdose CAN happen with tea!