1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations - Possible conflict subutex and morphine

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by scored, Apr 30, 2009.

1. scored

scored Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Your input is greatly appreciated here. Swim is a long term subutex user, recently addmitted to hospital with various serious health complications. Due to severe chest pains was put on morphine on top of her subutex. Eventually a dugs worker at the hospital pointed out that subutex is a partial blocker. She was taken off subutex and her morphine upped to 250 ml. On discharge from hospital her 8mg subutex script is back and she is on 100ml oral morphine.

Can someone explain how much of the morphine could be blocked. She is complaining of symptoms which sound like withdrawl and still in considerable pain.

She has a GP appointment tomorrow (friday) and would like to attend armed with some knowlege to educate her GP.

My unprofessional diagnosis would be to remove the subutex, but then what do I know? I havent been to med school.

2. Solinari

Solinari Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    a LOT of morphine will be blocked because subutex (buprenorphine) has an extremely high affinity for the mu opioid receptor which can't even be kicked out by an antagonist such as naloxone which also has very high affinity.

This is just a guess on my part but i imagine more buprenorphine would be more effective than morphine, the partial agonist/antagonist effects of buprenorphine much also be a consideration. I tyhink there is another thread about this going around.