Drug info - Possible massive shortage of Kratom in the future.

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Dankfish, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've recently found this online, it may or may not be valid but this is nonetheless a very frightening happening.

A letter sent to us by an anonymous source regarding the kratom export ban in Indonesia.
    "We wanted to inform you, that since 25th Feb 2013 all Kratom exports have been suspended from Indonesia. It’s not clear at this stage however we were quoted from DHL Jakarta the following:
    Ministry of Food and Drug (BPPOM) issued A restriction letter to the quarantine office to not issued any quarantine certificate for this type of commodity for temporary. But I don't have the exact information since I think it still under review.
    In addition to the above it has been confirmed by several Kratom farmers they are not permitted to send Kratom products at this time.
    We do not know how long this restriction will be enforced however some of the largest US Kratom suppliers are out of stock.
    As 95% of the worlds Kratom comes out of Indonesia we predict an inevitable world shortage looms."
    We will update you more on this soon, hopefully with some good news!

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I dont think it is anything to worry about, just yet.
    It seems that most large vendors are still sending out orders.

In Borneo there have been official letters issued by BPOM (Indonesian FDA) to the organisation in charge of exporting goods, stating that they suggest a halt on the exportation of kratom, as it is a drug. Not sure if sellers will have to get some new sort of certificate to sell, or if sales will be stopped completly.
    Its been restricted to Borneo/Kalimantan and is not a nationwide issue.

Its been suggested it is a good idea to stock up if you buy from Indonesia, as it might effect more areas there soon.

You can probably expect prices to go up soon.

It might be a false alarm, we have seen them before. It might be something to worry about.

3. trdofbeingtrd

trdofbeingtrd Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    After talking to a reliable source, this is true about Indonesia, also as Ian has said, prices not only will go up, but are already going up. Certain companies did not hear in time about this problem and will for sure, already have, been affected. This could very well be a bad sign, so it might be time for others such as myself to taper and quit. I am not scare mongering anyone and trying to cause panic, just saying that after hearing information from someone who knows about this very well that while I was told that it will be around for a nice while, expect anything to happen depending on how hard this crusade against a plant that helps possibly millions is enforced.

4. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah I am coming off of my last 200 grams. Gonna try to start tapering soon when I get a window of life where I'm not so damn busy. It's been about a year with kratom but I think it's time to end this chapter in my life, the addiction is getting a little out of control.

5. Li2CO3

Li2CO3 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from Canada
    thanks very much for posting this.....

whether or not indonesia as a whole is affected yet, for anyone who does wish to keep using kratom, i'd say to stock up immediately...... i know i can live without it, but i'd rather have enough of it around for a long period of time as a potential option over taking other drugs casually..

6. seaturtle

seaturtle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There's a big difference between a country banning Kratom exports and an actual shortage of Kratom. Prices will go up, but hopefully it will be slight due to the breadth of the world economy. Certainly everyone that wants Kratom will be able to find it though.

I think the thread title should be changed. This is an important thread and I appreciate that it was posted, but no need to spread misinformation and panic.

7. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    It is a big issue, and it could lead to world wide kratom shortages.
    If export is banned in Indonesia that would lead to the majority of kratom being stopped from getting to vendors all over the world.
    This sort of ban could easily spread to other countrys, especially boarder countrys.
    This is not misinformation.
    Unless you know something else?

I dont see how 'possible shortage of kratom in the future' is misinformation, or why it should be changed?

8. seaturtle

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Until an actual shortage occurs I wouldn't be so quick to say it's going to happen. There are many countries where Kratom is still legal, and in the current global trade era one would expect production in other countries to offset the loss of Indonesia.

I'm merely suggesting the thread title should be something factual, like "Indonesia bans Kratom exports".

9. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    A possible ban would mean bali/borneo, Java, indo, sumatran kratom is no longer available.
    Indonesia produces the majority of the worlds kratom.

The biggest loss would of course be bali kratom, on which many people rely for pain issues and to help with opiate addiction.

The thread title clearly states 'possible', not definite.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  10. seaturtle

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I just saw this on a vendor's website: "IMPORTANT NEWS! There has been a recent suspension of exports of Kratom from Indonesia (source of 95% of the world's Kratom). We are hopeful that the situation is temporary. Do to limited worldwide supply, 16 oz. & 1kg sizes are temp. unavailable."

This is like a bad nightmare. I'll admit my ignorance for making the previous statement, good thread title.

Just ordered a pound of various Kratom strains... I'm hopeful the world economy will eventually rectify this, but it could get scary if it's really 95% of production.

11. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    It could all be a storm in a tea cup, but its better to be safe than sorry. :)

Indonesian vendors are running out of stock, fast lol
    While the suspicious among us might think it was an elaborate ploy to sell a shit load of kratom, i think its pretty safe to assume that its legit.

12. seaturtle

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've seen at least one vendor website urging their customers to stock up on as much Kratom as possible just in case, lol. It's going to be a good few weeks for Kratom vendors as long as the ban is only temporary.

Perhaps ultimately U.S. vendors will use their profits to buy land and farm Kratom, or invest money into Kratom farms in other countries. I'm already looking around for seeds myself, having a Kratom farm in my apartment would make alot of sense considering how much I use it! And I love gardening. Biggest problem would be keeping the cat from eating the leaves and getting doped out.

13. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    It is almost impossible to grow kratom from seeds. Perhaps if you picked them straight from the tree and planted them in the soil the tree was growing in you might have a good chance. Cuttings are better for working with, providing you have a suitable climate.

I hope to hell that kratom purchase is never only possible from US vendors. Too much price fixing goes on there, i couldn't afford that :)

14. Li2CO3

Li2CO3 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from Canada
    if Indonesian kratom exports are banned it'll be a sad day indeed .... however, if it still around after this but much more expensive --- for those of us who use kratom recreationally or casually rather than for opiate withdrawals, maybe it'll be a good thing in some ways. i know i'll be forced to use it only once and a while rather than regularly, cause i'm certainly not going to blow all of my money on it...

15. Barely Conscious

Barely Conscious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o from U.S.A.
    Well this is unfortunate to hear as I just ordered my first batch . . Hopefully it's a rumor or a sale strategy.

16. seaturtle

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've been searching the global news quite a bit and can't find anything about this Kratom ban, aside from rumors on various Kratom forums and ethnobotanical websites. The same rumor too, there's not much else available besides the few statements posted in this thread. Not saying there's some sort of huge conspiracy here... it only takes one person to start a rumor, and in a marketplace like Kratom where there's no real authority a rumor can spread quickly.

And just to be clear I still think there's at least an equal probability that this is real.

One would think there'd be at least some news out of Indonesia about this, it's a significant part of their economy. This also wouldn't make any economic sense, and would bring excessive public discord upon the politicians pushing for the ban.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  17. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I dont see why there should be news at this point.
    All that has happened so far is that some vendors have received letters from the local FDA telling them to stop exportation.

Kratom is far from a big industry in Indonesia, in fact there are only a handful of vendors who supply the kratom worldwide.

My personal opinion is it probably comes down to pressure from the US and other places.

18. seaturtle

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Finally found some more information...

Some sellers have been posting and emailing around that Indonesia has banned kratom (export), causing some panic in the market over the last few days. Since some are already trying to score in the google rankings based on “Indonesia Kratom Ban”, its our duty to outrank them and post the facts. I do not think it is time to panic, but below some of the “ban” facts.
    - Some sellers from Borneo have indeed not been able to ship abroad over the last week and have heard that the export is banned, they have been told so by local BPOM officials (the Indonesian “FDA” in Kalimantan/Borneo, they regulate medication and so on), but it has not been officially confirmed nationwide and there is no nationwide restriction in Indonesia. It should be noted that BPOM is indeed like the FDA, so its not an Indonesian version of the DEA and so on.
    - Others (those not located in Borneo) continue to ship as usual and have had no trouble over the last week.
    - Online there are already some rumors circulation about an Indonesian ban or that it has been outlawed in Indonesia. This is not the case.
    - Shippers in Borneo have had trouble in the past as well, while others were free to ship in the same time and even aggressively started to email when a so called “ban” was put in place, this indicates that some sellers in the Borneo area might have bribed officials to stop competitors shipments from being exported. Not saying this is the case now, but it certainly is something to keep in mind.
    Combining these stories suggests that Indonesian government officials, limited to those in Borneo, have not been issuing their customary phyto certificates, the documents which authorize a product for export. This export restriction appears to affect only specific kratom exporters, is not country-wide, and is limited to exporters based out of Borneo.
    According to the KA, there is no kratom “ban”. There appears to be a governmental restriction on some vendors, however, for reasons which are unclear. It is unknown how-long this restriction will last, how wide spread it really is, and whether or not it will affect domestic kratom pricing at all.

According to reports, the vast majority of kratom exports source from Indonesia. A country-wide export ban would be a serious problem for the world-wide kratom industry, despite fledgling efforts to construct plantations in other countries (Vietnam and Cambodia, for example). Thankfully, according to the Kratom Association, this export restriction still appears to be limited to only Borneo and is not country-wide. As a result, kratom resellers that source from this location will encounter supply issues and possibly a drought of undetermined length. Purchasers can expect an increase in kratom prices, limited bulk options, and a shortage of certain strains (Bali & Indo, reportedly).
    There remains the possibility that this ban is the result of local exporters bribing government officials.
    More importers/buyers confirm that they received a couple of emails from Borneo sellers, just after the “ban”, which still keeps the option open that it is indeed a measure initiated by a or some Borneo based seller(s), taken to limit others from exporting.
    NSN sources have notified us that the Indonesian ban went into full effect on Monday of this week and is, allegedly, expected to last one year from today. With this region accounting for more than 90% of the world’s kratom, this prohibition effectively stops the world’s kratom supply. At present, there is no known motive for the ban, but rumors of possible adulteration, American government pressure, or intra-governmental corruption are common explanations.
    As said before, it is unknown how long this ban will last. If it is sustained for the entire year or longer, most kratom resellers will run out of product well in advance, causing prices to increase significantly. Numerous manufacturers and resellers have begun warning their customers of possible price hikes.

19. Lady Codone

Lady Codone Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    From what little I've gathered, here's the situation:

The "ban" is really just a restriction on bulk shipments, and only in Borneo. Not all of Indonesia.

Some vendors are taking precautionary measures to ensure continued availability in the event of a shortage. There doesn't seem to be a shortage just yet.

The restriction is already affecting pricing and availability with some vendors, but most claim it will be temporary.

Is this correct? Has an Indonesia-wide ban gone into effect, or is it still Borneo only? Really worried :(

20. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is awesome news. It seems rumors have once again turned this into a hell hole when it really is not that large of an issue.