Cooking - Pot Butter

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Solidly-here, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Butter is better with THC in it ... share it with a friend.

[[Club222 began this Thread (but her Post got bumped by a technical glitch). She asked for help in making Pot-Butter. She read, on another website, one way to make it (called here "this recipe"), and wants to know the Best way to do it.]]

Well, club222, I am reaching out to another fuel. Everyone smokes pot, but few of them Eat it.

I have buttered up pot a few times. The way I do it is a little different than "this recipe" is doing it. But, to answer your question, if I am gentle, the smell is very slight (and it's different than the smell of burning pot).

My Recipe: Get some butter. Melt it in a saucepan. Pour water in the pan (at least half-an-inch, but more is fine). (At this point, there are two layers: the butter, and the water.) Crank the heat up until the water begins to boil.

Turn DOWN the heat (all the way to the lowest Low). Wait a minute or 2. Pour in the weed. Stir often (until you think it's cooked long enough, 10 minutes is plenty). The weed remains in the water layer. The THC gets absorbed into the butter layer. The smell comes from the butter layer (so less smell is released when it is covered by the water layer). When Swim's done, he can just throw the water layer away (with the stems and flowers in it).

The main thing to remember, if you don't want the room to smell very much, is: You DON'T want to cook the weed ... just keep the mixture warm enough to keep the butter melted. As you Stir, the THC is exposed to the butter layer (and gets absorbed into it).

My thoughts about the "this recipe": If you just use butter, (1) there is MORE smell in the room, (2) setting up a double-boiler takes time (and clean-up time) and (3) you have to separate-out the plant material after the cooking is done.

Another thing about smells wafting into the room, if the Exhaust Fan is on, quite a bit of the smell will be sucked away before it gets into the room. Never underestimate how a little help can be a Big help.

As far as How Long does the smell remain, certainly by the next morning, as I walk into the Kitchen, there is no residual smell. (This is different from some smells, which can be there for days.)

Review. The smell isn't intense. The smell is not long-lasting. Cooking with a water-layer has less smell. And, the buttered-up foods are FUN to eat (and to digest) ... and the effects last for a good, long time (up to 10 hours).Edited by: Solidly-here

2. club222

club222 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Awesome. SWIM may use your method instead. Sounds great. Thanks

3. amd6568

amd6568 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Wow, 10 hours is a long ass time! I didn't realize it was that long. I am defiantly going to try that. I am lazy and doesn't know how to cook, so would a butter shot work? Gross, but less time, less mess, less work! :)

4. MescalinePirate

MescalinePirate Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Buttered-toast is great for a nutritional breakfast[​IMG]

5. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    here's what we do...

put an equal ammount of water and butter into a pot. (say 4 cups of each.) bring to a boil, and then turn to simmer.

now add a half to an equal ammount of herb. (we usually do two cups of trim and two cups of small nugs and shakes.) before you add the herb, you should grind it into a powder. a coffee grinder works great for this.

let simmer for a while... stirring often. a while means whatever feels right for you. we usually let it go 20 minutes or so.

next, you strain the liquid through a cheese cloth, or whatever you want to use. (a teeshirt works ok too.) strain the water and boil into a tubberware or any plastic dish. make sure to squeez all the butter and oil out of the cloth as possible.

now you can put that dish with the liquid into the freezer and let it freeze. it will seperate into two very distinctive layers. the dark brownish ice layer and the soft creamy green butter layer. when it is frozen, it is easy to remove the frozen block from the dish and break apart the two layers. (they break apart easily.)

throw the ice away as it contains the inactive plant resins, and keep you butter which contains the active cannabanoids frozen until you are ready to use it.

the plant material in the cheese cloth can sometimes be ran through with less butter and water and get some weaker butter, but usually just toss it out or use it as a topper with some cheese on a baked potato. ;)

when you're ready to use the butter simply set out to thaw, or slowly melt into your mix. it's great on toast, and it very strong butter. we usually make it into rice crispy treats, brownies, or cookies. it's also good to whip with cream and powdersuger for ganja frosting.

enjoy

6. lilsteve

lilsteve Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I ate some cannabutter for his first thc experience, on a friday
    night, and on sunday was still getting increased color sensations as he
    arrived at church on sunday morning. needless to say, he had a very
    good first experience.

7. club222

club222 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Whoa, forum software is acting wierd or something... I'm pretty sure