Oral use - Powdered Kratom in yoghurt?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by EternalEmbrace, Sep 26, 2013.

1. EternalEmbrace

EternalEmbrace Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The World
    Does it hurt the absorption, when compared to water?

If not, what yoghurt is better to mask the taste?

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    People mix kratom with all sorts of stuff to mask the taste and texture, not so much for absorption by the body.
    The less food in your stomach the easier it is for kratoms alkaloids to be extracted and absorbed because it does not have anything to compete with. Drink some water before taking the kratom to get your metabolism up and running, if you want to mix it with something then pick something light, with a strong taste to mask kratoms taste (although its not that bad when in powdered form) and something thick to mask the texture.

If you cant toss and wash then mix it with whatever you like.
    I find pesto covers taste and texture very well. I mix just enough pesto into the kratom to give a paste that can be spooned into my mouth and helped back with a little water.

3. firehouse

firehouse Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I find the powder terribly difficult to get down and I have put it in yogurt. Greek yogurt in particular seems to help. It's still nasty, though and triggers a built in nausea/aversion response, having wretched it up from taking too much on early attempts. I have a bag of powder that I am keeping aside in case I ever need a taper stash. Not much chance of me choking that shit down unless I'm really hurting. :)

4. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    Ive tried yogurt in the past, but much like smoothies the texture is too smooth to completly mask the texture of the kratom. Rougher sauces are much better because your mind is expecting what you put into your mouth to be a certain texture, when it gets confused because your yogurt is gritty it can lead to you gagging.

Im sure most people have experienced this...once you puke using a certain method it becomes very difficult to use that method again for a long time. This is why people often tend to mix up their ingestion methods. Sometimes its good to rotate after a while, to keep things fresh and to get over any nasty puking episodes.

Sometimes the smell of a strong tea is enough to make me gag, so i switch to toss and wash, then after a while i just cant swallow it anymore so i switch to mixing it into sauce, then after a while i get sick of eating pesto so i switch to something else or back to tea.

5. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I used to always mix my kratom in with apple sauce. This masked the taste and my stomach barely noticed the food being in there. Along with this, apple sauce is acidic and acidic things seem to help out kratom absorption quite a bit.

6. honeybadger

honeybadger Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Have you tried it in orange juice or coffee? Kratom and OJ has always been my preferred method since I started using it. It was a tip from my vendor I got early on. I put some orange juice in a bottle, dump my kratom in (it's powdered and very fine), and shake like hell. I shake and drink over 15 minutes or so. I don't really notice the taste of kratom in it anymore and if you use enough OJ and keep the kratom well suspended by shaking it the texture isn't too bad, either.

I've tried yogurt, applesauce, pudding, and at least in my opinion, those were all the worst ways I've taken it. Applesauce was ehh, others are not methods I'd ever try again. :p

Coffee hides the taste pretty well and if you use a lot of creamer, it disguises the texture pretty well.

I've developed a bit of a liking for the taste of kratom over the few years I've been using it. I think the texture more than the taste can be the hardest part to get over for most and combining both when you're new to kratom can be a slap to your senses from what I've experienced and noticed with others. My husband occasionally likes to kick back with kratom and he's seen all of my teas, different mixes, tasted some, and he doesn't have a taste for kratom at all but he easily can get it down in orange juice or a cup of coffee. I've experimented with a lot of different ways of ingesting it and I always am back to orange juice or coffee. They seem to just work really well for me, it works well for my husband, too.

As far as putting it in yogurt, the texture is probably what will get you, not the taste. It's like yogurt with sand in it to me, and to get it palatable, I've had to use a lot of yogurt with it, more than I'd want to eat for reasons ianzombie mentioned. I've tried with a few different flavors, too, which didn't help much. (I had to be sure it wasn't just a bad flavor clash, haha. :) )

Good old toss and wash works really well, too, especially in a hurry.

7. brittnaaay

brittnaaay Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from U.S.A.
    I've tried several flavors of yogurt as well, and they haven't gotten me anywhere. Seems like no matter the flavor, I could still end up tasting the kratom, which ended up inciting the gag reflex. Pretty sure it's not the texture that bothers me, it's the flavor.
    I have mixed it with OJ, and that's worked well, as long as you stir/shake it well enough. But to me, just most painless way is definitely parachuting. Only problem is, it takes a bit of time to ball up my entire dose into mini-TP balls. Aside from the time issue, it's by far the easiest (on my stomach) way to get it down.

8. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    Brittnayy, just mix it up with a little pesto. Then toss and wash it. No texture, no taste.

9. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My favorite way to consume kratom

After not having eaten in 2-3 hours:
    1. Put kratom leaf powder in a cup.
    2. Add a few tablespoons of honey.
    3. Mix gently to fold the kratom into the honey.
    4. Add a tsp or two of water -- just a little bit, not too much!
    5. Mix everything into a viscous homogeneous solution.
    6. Drink!
    7. Eat a small snack around the 1 hr mark and the effects will increase very nicely.

Tastes like slightly bitter and very sweet and delicious honey. The viscosity of the honey allows all of the kratom powder to go into solution without floating, so you won't cough or choke at all, and it totally masks the taste. You'll have to play with the ratio of honey to water (always using as little water as possible or else the powder will float again), and I actually prefer this method to gel caps simply because of the sweet taste!

Now speaking speculatively, I also think that the sugars might actually aid the absorption of kratom while the honey provides a boost of energy up front. The pre-hydration of the kratom powder in this method probably aids absorption, whereas the kratom leaf powder in gel caps have to be hydrated by your stomach contents. All things being equal, I do come up on kratom faster and slightly stronger with the honey method than with gel caps. (I know that my gel caps dissolve in water within 1-3 minutes, so imagine how fast they must dissolve in stomach acid).

10. tcoro

tcoro Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I just got my latest batch of powdered Kratom and I enjoy trying different methods of administration. So far toss n wash has been the most effective for quicker & stronger effects but I just can't stand the taste (and texture) so I am always looking to find a better way.

In the past I have tried these: made tea, toss n wash, filled capsules, mix in juice.
    (I keep forgetting to get pesto at the grocery! but I am determined to try it - thx for the suggestion IanZ)

Today I tried parachuting - yesterday I tried mixing with yogurt.

The yoghurt was not very effective at masking the taste or texture when mixed in - so I dont recommend this.

But I am happy to report that parachuting is frickin awesome! no taste, smell or texture to worry about and it hits almost as quickly as toss n wash!
    The preperation takes a minute or two but is well worth it. I balled up a few last night so they were all ready for me this morning on an empty stomach. I took approx 3 grams of Meang Da washed down with grapefruit juice and am feeling great!

I would highly recommend this ROA for anyone who wants the benefits of toss n wash but are not in love with the taste of Kratom.

All the best,
    tc :)

11. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I don't know, but I found I get the best effect when mixed with boiled, hot water, I have a feeling that releases the alkaloids the best. When I've mixed it with cold oj, I just don't get any benefits what so ever.

I first hated the taste of it and gagged every time I forced myself to drink the tea and poured tons of honey and sweeteners into it just to manage. Now, I actually like the taste (!!) and just drink it with a little bit of hazelnut flavored coffee creamer. I guess my brain made the connection of healing/taking me out of pain and it tastes good.