Combinations - Preloading with 5-HTP before LSD?

Discussion in 'LSD' started by Nahbus, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was wondering if it is wise or worthwhile to preload with 5-HTP before a trip to reduce anxiety and make the trip a little smoother. I read a report on erowid that backs this claim up, but just wanted to hear what you fine folks say about it. Anyway, thanks.

2. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Taking 5-HTP between trips may help to make sure you respond fully to the drug and recover from the short term resistance induced by psychedellics.

3. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    Yes, I think it would definately do some good. Has anyone tried to use 5-HTP to reduce depression after XTC?

4. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    I would also like any info about preloading w/ 5-HTP..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Taking 5-HTP the next day after an experience with MDMA, or it's analouges, does seem to help in recovering faster from the side effects of the come down.

6. fromthestars

fromthestars Newbie

Reputation Points:
    49 y/o from The Netherlands
    I could be totally wrong...but ill give you my experience with this.

I had used 5-htp in an attempt to preload over a weekend. The day I ate the lsd was after 2 days of preloading with 5-htp.

I actually ate 1 e pill and 1 hit of acid. At somepoint in the night it all of the sudden it felt like one half of my brain deflated, I became so dumb I couldnt speak(mostly cuz by the time I got 4-5 words out, I forgot what I was saying, and crashed). Inside my head I knew something was happening, and I just kept repeating myself over and over, driving my friends nuts. But to me I knew something was wrong, and I just needed to gather as much info about it as possible to study the next day.

this by the way was a pill I had eaten before and it was good, and 1 hit of acid which would normally do barely nothing to me. the experience was definatly influenced by the 5-htp and not in a positive way.

tho at the time I was not even sure why it would be happening, which may have had an effect (had I known why my trip was so drastically different it would have been easier to shut up and go with it)

7. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Fromthestars: Please take a moment to review the rules of drugs-forum. They can be found here:

https://drugs-forum.com/forum/announcement.php?f=43

The one pertaining to self-incrimination is particularly pertinent. No-one in this forum takes Class A/Schedule I drugs. That would be illegal. Hypothetical situations involving you's monkey/rat/warthog CAN be discussed.

8. -k4ge

-k4ge Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from earth
    I takes one with orange juice right before going to sleep after an MDMA experience.

9. blue_eyes

blue_eyes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi all....

I takes 5-HTP every day to prevent depression, and ups her dose for several days after taking extacy and it definately helps to prevent or atleast reduce depressive episodes following a night/weekend on E.

I just want to mention that its not advisable to take 5-HTP with E, it can cause serotonin syndrome. If you wish to boost your serotonin levels, do so for several days before a roll, but not on the day of.

10. PsycheDelia Smith

PsycheDelia Smith Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    In my Great Aunt Henrietta's irresponsible days, she once awoke in her car at eight am to the sound of cockatoos rising above the River Murray. Having partaken of the bottle the previous evening and arisen much aggrieved, she indulged in 200mg of 5-HTP. She travelled with her companion to a psy-trance rave, where she spent the afternoon lounging about in the heat, fanning herself incessantly.

As evening approached, she drank half a bottle of cheap Penfold's shiraz, then shared a tab with her companion. Previous experience suggested that this tab contained LSD; however, she was mindful of the blotter's bitter taste, and did not rule out the possibility that it might contain one of dear Mr Shulgin's discoveries, including members of the Dox family. It being a psy-trance rave, she quickly secured a friendly hippie and some capsules of what was purported to be MDMA, and finding herself with an opportunity for what the vulgar term "candyflipping", she hastened to her boudoir to split the second tab. It was now approaching midnight.

As the evening progressed, she could see ghostly friends wisping among the trees. She wandered in nature, remarking on the strange patterns that seemed to be forming out of twigs and roots on the ground, and the pleasant way in which her body wandered her hither and thither. She returned to her boudoir at the witching hour to philosophise with her companion, at which point she closed her eyes and felt as if she was operating in a separate dimension, trading concepts and fractals and pictures of many eyes with the inhabitants of this strange festival. Her internal voyage took some occasionally negative twists; meditating on her distance from a past lover, she began to see herself being disembowelled in an operating theatre. However, this harrowing thought was easily overcome. She arose sleepless at dawn to observe the clouds swirling like a van Gogh painting, and went to sit in the chillout tent and listen to Shpongle and Animal Collective.

It was ten am, and she could still see the tapestries shrinking and twisting to the sound of "Divine Moments of Truth", and as she closed her eyes, she observed her own veins and capillaries. She attempted to read a book; every third word became blue, and she observed alien languages in the white areas between the lines. As she stared closer into these in-between places, she observed fantasy elephants, ferris wheels, and friendly hippos, all moving and grooving in a circular rhythm.

She was surprised to find herself still going hard by six pm. Her companion had long since moved past his afterglow; nevertheless, Great Aunt Henrietta observed the clouds rolling, the trees unfurling kaleidoscopically, and neon splashes across the landscape. Psy-trance seemed to be vibrating her brainstem long after she had left the festival, as if it had splashed itself onto her petticoat like paint. She partook generously of her valium stash (12mg) but this had little effect, and she found herself cracked-out and irritable on her return home, downing the last of her dear valium (8mg) collection to little effect. She had not slept for 36 hours, and was still finding it impossible to do so at midnight. In a fit of desparation, she swallowed two Valerian Forte tablets, and was finally relieved by the god Hypnos around one in the morning.

She awoke to a simultaneous feeling of irritable overstimulation and complete exhaustion, which proceeded throughout the day. She set out on a camping trip with her companion, and after falling to sleep at midnight, awoke at four in the morning to a sea of purple fractals and a sense of claustrophobia. Finally, around 36 hours after her indulgence, the trees stopped spiralling; the symbols in the dirt began to fall away.

Great Aunt Henrietta is aware of the dangers of overgeneralising from a single case study.

It is possible that she imbibed Dox, though the brevity of her companion's trip casts this hypothesis into question. Another companion indulged previously in the same blotter and did not find the experience overly long.

It is also possible that Great Aunt Henrietta just has some fucked-up brain chemistry. Nevertheless, her previous experiences with LSD had not dragged out so interminably.

Finally, it is possible that the foolhardy combination of 5-HTP, alcohol, MDMA and LSD triggered something akin to serotonin syndrome. Not being a pharmacologist, Great Aunt Henrietta is unwilling to draw any absolute conclusions. However, she advises her fellows to proceed with extreme caution and research when combining psychoactive chemicals.

11. Mr Strangelove

Mr Strangelove Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    5HTP is a precursor of serotonin (5HT). As such, it potentially increases the availability of serotonin in the brain. AFOAF once preloaded with 100mg of serotonin 1hr before tripping, and found that the effects of the LSD were significantly reduced. This is likely because serotonin and LSD compete to bind to the 5HT receptors.

It also explains why usage of MDMA reduces the intensity of a trip, as the reduction of serotonin re-uptake caused by the MDMA also increases serotonin availability in the brian, again competing for access to the 5HT receptors.

This is likely why tripping when tired can be particularly intense. The low levels of serotonin in the brain allows the LSD to bind more frequently.

1. 4/5,
      good point, this would be my answer too now six years later..
      May 26, 2012
    2. 4/5,
      this is quite interesting, but could really benefit from some citations. well cited posts get more rep.
      May 16, 2012
Tags: