1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Opinions - prescribed adderall for depression

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by csmit31, May 29, 2009.

1. csmit31

csmit31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hi....I am....24 year old female dealing with depression for 4 years. It began at 20 with a suicide attempt followed by hospital treatment. I was on numerous medicines from the same doctor....wellbutrin, paxil, and others, but not one single medicine worked. Fortunately, this doctor suggested regular adderall, which has worked wonderfully! I am prescribed 20 mg, has never felt better and is happy with all aspects of life

However, tolerance is rising and 20 mg no longer has an effect. SWIM told the doctor this at the last visit, one week ago. The doctor replied by saying.......tolerance means addiction and you need a new medicine.....she suggested trying Adderall XR because less potential for addiction...... aka les instant high.

Now, I know that adderall causes tolerance and addiction...but is 20 mg really that much? Does not think so......The 20 XR is decent when crushed/parachuted......but not sufficent for long term. I do not know why the doctor will not prescribe a 30 mg dose (especially after reading posts with doses 60 + mg )

Overall, I am finally happy with adderall when no other medicine worked....knows tolerance is unavoidable........is afraid of the day when 20 mg produces zero effects and doctor completely stops prescription.

Any thoughts opinions etc.......I would love to hear from anyone with a similar experience or helpful advice.......feeling completely lost :(

2. destinationowhere

destinationowhere Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You should try taking antacids like tums or even zantac to basify your stomach for better absorption. You shouldn't drink orange juice(or anything with citric acid). Coffee is debatable because it inhibits an enzyme; allowing the drug to intensify a bit, but is also acidic which means that it makes it not last as long. If You smokes, then You should smoke cigs while the drug is working, because let SWIM tell you its very euphoric:) Other than that, maybe You should crush them and snort them. Hope this helps

3. csmit31

csmit31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for response...I will try those suggestions........just curious....anyone out there familiar with someone who has or is taking adderall for depression....??? Experiences, thoughts appreciated :)

4. Venusia

Venusia Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I takes Adderall for ADHD type behaviors, and she's found it's helped her depression immensely (which seemed to be resistant to other lines of treatment like various anti-depressants, Buspar, Abilify, etc...).

I was given a script for 90 10mg Adderall and was told to "play with the dose, and find where it works for you" (SWIM's shrink actually said this! I was shocked.) Well, 10mg worked at first, but pooped out quickly. 20mg worked better, but it just wasn't quite enough, so SWIM settled at 30mg. It was the best! I got stuff done, could focus while multi-tasking, and her depression was lifted more than she ever had felt before. So, SWIM's shrink gave her the script for 30mg, but was a little hesitant. SWIM still can't figure out why. He told SWIM to find her right dose, and that is what I did! Oh well.

I have no idea why you's doc is being so weird about the 30s. It seems like the natural jump to SWIM. If 20mg isn't quite enough, then 30mg would be where I would go next. But I don't have an MD, so her opinion is to be taken with a grain of salt. ;)

SWIM hopes you's doc comes around and finds SWIM's correct dosage/medicine. If the Adderall isn't working, perhaps another stimulant may? Best of luck!

5. wespawloski

wespawloski Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from U.S.A.
    I takes an amphetamine for depression :)

Methylphenidate was too aggrivating, dextroamphetamine was too fleeting and fun, adderall 40mg felt like a decent dose of methamphetamine, and finally, I found vyvanse :p

Other amphetamines seem to stimulate SWIM too much to be beneficial. His concentration and aptitude seems to improve on some aspects yet decline in others. But, it is the only thing that has helped SWIM to become happy and productive.

I'm sorry, its late, I won't go into my normal advertisment for vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine). If you are interested in an amphetamine for depression, I would suggest you look into lisdexamphetamine. I have posted on this forum my positive experiences with the drug in many threads, if you are interested :p

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/88528

Good luck! Happy hunting

6. xenos

xenos Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It should be noted that one should be very careful using adderall to treat depression. Adderall acts on dopamine, the pleasure center of the brain, causing euphoria. This will obviously make someone feel better, however only while they are on the drug.

Secondly, tolerance does not mean You is addicted, tolerance is what happens after using the same chemical repeatedly. Adderall tolerance can be maintained with Magnesium supplements.
    Crushing/parachuting the medication however is a sign of addiction, and this is something one needs to be extremely conscious of, especially while they are suffering from mental illness. I don't mean to judge, but I have been there and doesn't want others to fall into that trap.

Lisdexamphetamine is another variant on an extended release capsule, so theoretically it shouldn't feel too different than XR Adderall. HOWEVER, lisdexamphetamine is metabolised to dextroamphetamine as the active metabolite, where adderall is mixed amphetamine salts(including the most potent, dextroamphetamine). So, perhaps lisdexamphetamine(vyvanse) is comparable to XR Dexedrine(dextroamphetamine), while XR adderall contains the racemic isomers, which some people feel are more jittery and uncomfortable(some prefer this tho).

7. Roads

Roads Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    youXenos mentioned magnesium to control tolerance. Get a magnesium supplement made of magnesium citrate, magnesium gluconate or other high-bioavailable forms - not magnesium oxide! Magnesium blocks the N-methyl-d-aspartic acid receptors in the brain, reducing glutamate and glycine activity, and is one of several substances that does so - resulting in lowered stimulant tolerance over time.

The 5-HT2c receptor controls the brains pleasure pathway response to stimulants via modulation of dopamine and norepinephrine. Co-administration of a 5-HT2c antagonist like Mirtazapine, Mianserin, or Agomelatine will increase sensitivity to virtually any stimulant/dopaminergic drug via dopamine and norepineprhine disinhibition in the striatum, pre-frontal cortex, amygdala, hypothalamus and most importantly - the nucleus accumbens. Mirtazapine treatment made SWIM much more sensitive to the effects of Dextroamphetamine.

Tags: