1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Promethazine Recreational Potential?

Discussion in 'Deliriant antihistamines' started by VIKETIME, Feb 27, 2005.

1. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    any recreational uses?

-VIKE

2. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    lol maybe not

3. reptile

reptile Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    A friend came up to me asking advice on promethazine. This is what he wrote:
    Hey, quick question... You ever hear of Promethazine? I found a bottle in the back of our medicine cabinet (prescibed to me in, like, 1994), and looked around.

Erowid has nothing useful (just mentioned that it is often combined with ephedra and/or codeine), though I did find a vague article in some medical journal which mentioned patients who experienced hallucinations and psychosis or something. Nothing in relation to dosage...

Do you have any ideas as to possible recreational dosages... or know anything at all about this mysterious substance?

Thanks!

I never fuckin heard of it. Anyone know anything about this drug?

4. quinone

quinone

Reputation Points:
    Its an anti-histamine with supposed sleep-aid properties. Normally SWIN would say that an antihistamine wont get you high, but the sleep-aid properties makes SWIM ponder if this drug does in fact have any worthwhile effects.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  5. SMB420

SMB420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The promethazine with codeine does get you high. I don't know about some stuff from '94 though. Promethazine by itself doesn't do anything.

6. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Promethazine causes hallucinations by the same mechanism as all
    anticholinergics (ie - atropine, scopalamine, meclazine, hydrocyamine,
    other antihistamines like hydroxazine, diphenhydramine, etc..). They are
    the not fun / delerium variety and are also quite narrow in the margin
    between hallucination and death. If you want this sort of high, you might
    as well go eat some datura - probably more fun and safer.

Snapper

7. juanablohme

juanablohme

Reputation Points:
    took too much by accident was fucked up for 2-3 days. TEASPOONS not Tablespoons!!

8. juanablohme

juanablohme

Reputation Points:
    Also would like to know if there is any good uses for this, besides knocking me out.

9. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    promethazine with codiene is what "fucks you up." Promethazine alone serves no recreational purpose. Honestly SWIM doesnt recommend using it unless prescribed by a doctos for a specific use.

10. Fantasian

Fantasian

Reputation Points:
    Just thought i'd mention SWIM has recently tried Cylizine which comes under the same family of drugs. SWIM has written experience reports on this and please use the search forum to find them.

In brief the effects were very strange, large gravity disturbance, trance like vision and delusions of things looking differant.

On a side note IV cyclizine creates a cold rushing effect up the spine.

If SWIY is more interested in these drugs please feel free to PM me and ill do my best to fill you in on SWIM's experiences. I remember back before SWIM experimented and it was difficult to find much information on these for recreational use.

11. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Promethazine is not a recreational drug. SWIM thinks that the only recreational version of premethazine is the promethazine which contains codeine. If SWIM recalls correctly, this is what rappers refer to as syzurup. sippin on some syzurup, sip sippin on some, sip sipping some syzurup. ring a bell?

12. Fantasian

Fantasian

Reputation Points:
    anticholinergics can be used recreationally, SWIM has experienced it personally, promethazine is an anticholinergic just as cyclizine is. Although SWIM has not experienced the drug in question he is definatly sure of his first statement. Before SWIM used cyclizine he recieved pleanty of warnings of dangerous delrium and non-recreational lectures but he himself found the experience phychadelic and interesting.

13. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess

Reputation Points:
    Promethazine is actually a derivitive of phenothiazine and as such is an antipsychotic, not simply an anticholinergic. It additionally has antihistaminic, sedative, antimotion-sickness, and antiemetic effects.

As an antipsychotic it has all the usual unpleasant side effects:

Extrapyramidal reactions (unwanted movements), Lassitude, fatigue, loss of libido, incoordination, sleep disturbance, seizures, oculogyric crises and as with all antipsychotics there is a real risk of hypotension and cardiovascular collapse (these drugs have pro-arrhythmic properties).

It also has the potential to suppress one's white blood count, leaving them at risk of overwhelming infection. Jaundice can also occur.

The anticholinergic side effects are also somewhat unpleasant: Blurred vision, dry mouth, urinary retention and constipation.

Phenergan is NOT a recreational drug.

BTW Raven isn't the sip sip sippin guy now deceased?

14. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    No DJ screw died for sippin too much lean but Three Six mafia were the ones who did the Syzurup song. They also call it purple stuff and many rappers sing about the syrup. People pour drank in their sprite and sip sip sip on it. SWIM does not know why they prefer the promethazine with codiene syrup though. SWIM's favorite syrup is the tussionex! He could sip sip on that drank all day long. It has these crystals in it that taste so good. SWIM also enjoys hydrocodone more than codiene so he does not know what the big fuss is about the promethazine syzurup. what what , ever ever

15. Shooting Starz

Shooting Starz

Reputation Points:
    Meperidine / Promethazine

Swim has a friend that was given Meperidine / Promethazine after a surgery. Swim is wandering if these pills are any good.

16. IkBenDeMan

IkBenDeMan

Reputation Points:
    Re: Meperidine / Promethazine

SWIM's never taken them but heard positive things.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  17. Habit

Habit Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Lord Girth is a semi-daily user of Promethazine (OTC Deutsch Phenergan). He seeks to potentate the positive, while also attempting to relieve unwanted peripheral-effects induced by his daily dose of (32mgs{naltrexone}/{burenorphine}8mgs) Suboxone. The Lord usually consumes between 25mgs-225mgs throughout the morning. The Lord finds the effects to be pleasant and somewhat similar to Benzodiazepines. As with most substances of potential abuse, the higher the dose the more side effects; minor OEVs, major CEVs, auditory hallucinations, nodding, apathy, relaxation, general sense of wellbeing. Could serve as a valuable tool for Chippers and the poppy-stricken.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  18. trptamene

trptamene Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:

mepiride=demerol, a pretty nice opiate.

promethazine has sedative properties, and is okay by itself...but when used in conjunction of opiates, it is usually there to relieve the nauseau symptoms that can come from opiates.

19. mattprice

mattprice Newbie

Reputation Points:

swim uses promethazine to get rid of the nausea from the oxycodone. haven't really seen any recreational value in them.

20. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Re: promethazine?

SWIM has been using Phenergan (each tablet contains promethazine hydrochloride BP 25mgs) as a sleep aid. It is OTC where SWIM lives. Phenergan also comes in 10mg pills.

SWIM has found it works well as a sleep aid at doses 25 mg to 100 mg.
    100 mg to 175 mg caused agitation
    175 mg + caused unpleasant auditory hallucinations and SWIM was unable to read or focus eyes for about 18 hours.

From the leaflet enclosed in the packet:

'Phenergan' is one of a group of medicines called phenothiazine antihistamines and has anti-allergic actions. It also has a sedating effect and acts against nausea and vommiting.

Adult doses:
    Allergic conditions: Initially 10-20 mg, 2-3 times a day. Increase dose gradually if desired.
    Hypnosedative: Initially, 25 mg at night. If required you may increase to 50 mg or 75 mg at night.
    To prevent nausea and vomiting: 25 mg the night before the journey. repeat if required 6-8 hours later. Due to possible sedative effects, a lower dose of 10 mg during the day may be more suitable.