Drug info - Propofol Information

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by csharpprogrammer, Feb 13, 2007.

1. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been searching for information on propofolm, the trouble is can't find anything. He knows what it does, and when it is used, but would like background information. He was wondering if any You knows information about how propofol is made, and if synthesis information is available. Thanks.

2. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM just learned that propofol is easy to obtain in chemcal form.

3. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    ^You do realise propofol is used for induction and maintenance of anesthesia?

It is also only available I/V so trying it on oneself = SUICIDE. (Like huffing halothane)

So at the bare minimum someone else needs to be around to call emergency services. However a doctor/nurse on hand to stick a tube down your throat and an artificial ventilator would be more suitable.

4. CHLHockey

CHLHockey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Recreational Use of Propofol?

Swy was wanting to know if anyone has any information on recreational use of Propoflo?

5. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Recreational Use of Propofol?

none.
    Propofol is an anesthetic that only works IV, is very powerful, is know for causing apnea (which if unaddressed can = death) and in OD can stop a heart. It also causes tissue damage and irritation if it gets out of the vein. Good anesthetic in experienced hands and in combination with other agents, but not recreational. You should go find something else to play with.

1. 3/5,
      Good advice.
      Aug 10, 2007
  6. computergod

computergod Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

SWIM came by a nice, big bottle of this and was wondering about dosage. I tried 10mg and she thought it was pretty awesome, though somewhat short acting. I tried to find info, but there is not much around. Does anyone here have personal experience with they would like to share?

I was wondering is rectal dosage might work.

7. Pondlife

Pondlife Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

That's what killed Michael Jackson isn't it? Certainly sounds like something to be very careful with.

8. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.

This is from rxlist.com

It is short acting and is often used as an infusion or additional i.v. injection to maintain anesthia. Swim thinks You should calculate the 2-2.5 mg/kg to fit themselves then use WELL BELOW, maybe 1/20, that dose if they are trying to get a buzz and not knock themselves out. I have heard patients describe euphoria before they loose consciencousness.

Please be careful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  9. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

It is also perishable since it has no preservative in the emulsion, so once a vial is cracked, it quickly can be overgrown with bacteria. Really bad choice to get high with for a number of reasons. SWIM doubts it is any more recreational than benzos which are a far cry safer than this stuff.

1. 4/5,
      Interesting snippet re lack of preservative, and good harm reduction pointing out potential consequences
      Jun 26, 2010
  10. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

The "bad ideas" tag is very appropriate.

Propofol is a good anesthetic (not sedative, mind you--anesthetic) because it's short acting: it's given in an IV drip and works as long as the IV's running and then you get a quick recovery after stopping it.

Before MJ made it famous, I'd heard of an anesthesiologist who got himself addicted to the stuff. But that was someone who really did know what he was doing. Sort of. :(

Propofol will indeed grow bacteria like spat-out cheese in the sun, and it can't be given IM or SQ, nor would it likely work by any other route. That's dangerous enough.

If You is looking for a sedative, there are many other drugs that are much, MUCH safer.

11. Thursday'sChild

Thursday'sChild Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I have only had one conscious experience with Propofol/Diprivan, and it was during a minor leg surgery under the care and supervision of an anesthesiologist, and would never consider dosing himself.

That being said, there is a great deal of MISINFORMATION being given in this thread. Propofol can be and IS used as a sedative, much like Lorazepam, as well as an anesthetic. It is DOSE DEPENDENT.

Some quotes from a wiki, with paper links removed (Swim suggests any swimmers interested take a look at the Propofol article itself.)

"In critically ill patients it has been found to be superior to lorazepam both in effectiveness as well as overall cost; as result, the use of propofol for this indication is now encouraged whereas the use of lorazepam for this indication is discouraged. Propofol is also used for sedation, for example, prior to endoscopic procedures, and has been found to have less prolonged sedation and a faster recovery time compared to midazolam. (Source listed; Cox, CE.; Reed, SD.; Govert, JA.; Rodgers, JE.; Campbell-Bright, S.; Kress, JP.; Carson, SS. (Mar 2008). 'Economic evaluation of propofol and lorazepam for critically ill patients undergoing mechanical ventilation.')"

One thing I would like to add to the above passage is that there are many conscious patients on ventilators, and it is a very uncomfortable process, which is why most patients in this condition are sedated (but not necessarily knocked out!)

"There are reports of self-administration of propofol for recreational purposes. Short-term effects include mild euphoria, hallucinations, and disinhibition.

Long-term use has been reported to result in addiction. Such use of the drug has been described amongst medical staff, such as anesthetists who have access to the drug. Abuse is reported to be more common among anesthetists on rotations with short rest periods, as abusers report rousing to a well-rested state.

Abuse of the drug is relatively rare due to its potency and the level of monitoring required to take it safely. Propofol has not yet been scheduled by the US Drug Enforcement Administration. The steep dose-response curve of the drug makes potential abuse very dangerous without proper monitoring, and at least three deaths from self-administration have been recorded."

Swim can especially identify with this:

"It has been reported that the euphoria caused by propofol is unlike that caused by other sedation agents, 'I even remember my first experience using propofol: a young woman who was emerging from a MAC anesthesia looked at me as though I were a masked Brad Pitt and told me that she felt simply wonderful.' —C.F. Ward, M.D."

Swim can tell you, he did NOT lose consciousness under Propofol, but he does understand why doctors refer to it as "The Milk of Amnesia." I was awake for the entire procedure, having had an epidural shot to numb his lower body.

He was given the Propofol to help him relax, and BOY IT DID THE TRICK. He began laughing and asking the anesthesiologist lots of odd questions, some of them very personal haha. I'm sure it was funny to watch. Swim vaguely remembers asking him if he had any children, for no reason he can think of other than he thought the man was cute. What else Swim asked, he thankfully can't remember more than vague recollections. :laugh:

So, while I would NEVER recommend self dosing this drug, it CAN be used as a euphoric sedative. Please do not try this. Not only is it VERY difficult to dose correctly, with mistakes easily made, but even should that be successful, please think of the dangers of being on that sort of drug - falling down stairs, blacking out in a bathtub, tripping over and possibly injuring a pet by accident, saying and doing horribly embarrassing things and NOT REMEMBERING any of it, which is always shameful, etc, etc, etc.

I would say this is much too dangerous to use even with a sitter, because it is possible they would fail to realize whether You has gone into cardiac arrest or perhaps just fallen asleep, unlikely they would be PROPERLY trained in CPR, and that failing would have a defibrillator on hand in order to resuscitate swiy.

Please be safe! Like SWI Chibi C pointed out, there are better, safer things to play with!

ThC.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    1. 4/5,
      fantastically informative post on a little-known substance, with some back-up sources.
      Sep 4, 2010
    2. 4/5,
      Very useful post with informative references
      Jul 1, 2010
    3. 4/5,
      Great post, very helpful.
      Jun 30, 2010
  12. Terrapinzflyer

Terrapinzflyer MDMA, RC & News Forums Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    apparently the DEA is looking at rescheduling it.
    It seems this in reaction to a request to move it into Schedule III, and apparently they do not believe the issue of abuse is great enough for such a scheduling.

http://anonym.to/?http://www.justice.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci/microgram/mg2010/mg1210.pdf