Proposals for Drug Tests for Those on Unemployment and Eliminate Taxes

Discussion in 'Drug Testing' started by bewilderment, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have no idea how I got subscribed to congress.org updates, but I received this email in my inbox this morning and thought I would share:

"DRUG TESTS FOR THOSE ON UNEMPLOYMENT OR WELFARE

While Congress is in recess, we will focus on the issues YOU want to see Congress address. This week's proposal is from Tijera, NM

"Too many of our tax dollars are spent on people sitting at home doing drugs. I think everyone receiving welfare, unemployment or any kind of Government assistance should be submitted to random drug tests. If they do not pass the drug test the Government assistance, welfare or unemployment they are receiving should stop."

Support - Random Drug Tests for those on Unemployment or Welfare

Oppose - Random Drug Tests for those on Unemployment or Welfare

Submit Your Own Idea or Issue and we will put the best up on Congress.org for a vote.

Thanks for Participating

The Congress.org Weekly Update Editors

(Please add this e-mail address [email protected] to your address book or buddy list to ensure timely delivery.)"

I suggest people from here cast a vote to throw the poll off, the results of which are now shown here: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    A few minutes ago it was 76% for testing and 24% against. That out of 12,000+ replies.

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Next Up: For or Against torturing the unemployed on pay-per-vue cable tv, and using the money to give tax-breaks to the wealthy!

Ah! Nothing like tyranny of the masses.

4. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It's up to 27% now at least...

5. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    stupid idea many unemployed or those that cant work threw illness eather drink or take drugs to realive the bordom and depresion of beeing at home all day with nothing at all to do. or because the money they get is so little they cant have a decient life so may aswell be wasted.

6. elbow

elbow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Wow, how ridiculous.
    I really don't believe that congress thinks drugs are the main thing preventing people from getting jobs.
    What about a lack of education, having too many kids and no decent affordable day-care for them, a terminal illness, lack of car for travelling to work and no reliable public transportation either? Or perhaps there are only jobs available that pay so little that being on welfare is a better prospect.
    Jeez, I could go on and on but all I see here is another example of the pathetic inadequacy of vision demonstrated by congress. They are dissgusting and we should demand that they be the ones submitted to drug testing as it seems that all they do is sit around all day bullshitting, which I object to on economic grounds.

7. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Speaking from swims own experience, the spouse has secondary progressive MS, the last major job he had paid damn good money, benefits was good, but the insurance would not pay for her meds, or for home care. Which is pretty damn expensive, both of them together could easily run over two grand a month. So, I had to quit his job, get on welfare, just to care for his wife. Either that or put her in a nursing home, which is a death sentence in his opinion. So, if it comes to drug testing, we be ready. But, swim doubts it will ever happen, it would be cost-prohibitive. Because in some counties in Texas, welfare and social security is the only money people get.

8. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Not only that, but what are the poor to do when their checks no longer arrive. Not like they're gonna stop eating, sleeping, and living life. They will just turn to homelessness, crime, and other horrible alternatives which will cost society so much more. Already homeless people are an enormous problem, and this would only make it grow.
    At least none of them will still be doing drugs !!

Snapper