Propylhexedrine and test for amphetamine

Discussion in 'Drug Testing' started by Myzel, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Myzel

Myzel Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Curious do any swims think that Propylhexedrine could show up as a positive on a standard 5 panel test? My has looked and compared the structures of each compound and doesn't think so but could be wrong. Hope You can shed some educated light on this .

2. Isochrist

Isochrist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    In the past, I used some propylhexadrine while on probation. I was drug tested 3 days later and was positive for methamphetamine.

The urine sample was subsequently sent to a GC/MS (after a 30$ fee and some hell-raising), and then came back negative for meth.

So yes, propylhexadrine will cause a false positive on an EMIT test, but not on a GC/MS.

3. Myzel

Myzel Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    OK much thanks. That is the same situation I was worried about .. Swim also figured so and I am not the type to be the first to test it out. Mainly because I would probably go away for a long while and it's just not worth it

4. Isochrist

Isochrist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    Glad I could be of help to you.

I went through the same thing when looking at the structure of propylhexadrine. SWIM figured because it was a cyclohexyl group instead of a phenyl group that it would of been broken down into something that wouldn't show up positive for meth. Apparantly that's not the case.

Does anyone know exactly what propylhexadrine / amphetamine get metabolized to?

5. Myzel

Myzel Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That was another reason also I was so interested in that because if You looks at the structures and they look the same but the cyclohexyl ring I would think make a big difference. Just like the alpha and the beta on the hydroxy makes such a big difference.. Also think about ephedrine when it breaks down it does not cause positive test.

6. Isochrist

Isochrist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.

Actually I was under the impression that ephedrine could cause a false positive.

7. Myzel

Myzel Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Maybe, but I has never failed a drug test after consuming ephedrine. Swim thinks the key word here is "could" . Swim thinks that with the new test they have now that ephedrine will not cause a false positive...Also that is why is surprises swim that propylhexadrine causes false positives. But I am not going to take the chance at least with propylhexadrine

8. Isochrist

Isochrist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    Yeah, I would imagine if I had used the propylhexadrine according to the directions, that it most likely wouldn't have caused the false positive.