1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Proviron (mesterolone) - Info and Experiences

Discussion in 'Sex and Drugs' started by Expat98, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Expat98

Expat98 Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Ok, I've reported previously on SWIM's disappointing experiences with the much-hyped drugs cabergoline and PT-141 (bremelanotide). Now I want to share some info about a relatively unknown libido-enhancing drug that actually works for SWIM.

The name of the drug is mesterolone, sold as the brand name Proviron. First I'll give some basic information about it, and then I'll report on SWIM's experience with it. If anyone else has information, please add it in this thread.

Before I get started, let me note a couple of caveats:

1) SWIM is a male, and all the information given here assumes that the user is a male. I have no idea if this drug is used by women, and if so, what the side effects are.

2) I am not a doctor, and neither is SWIM. All of the information given below is either taken from various websites (mostly bodybuildng sites) or from my own experience and the experiences of friends (who aren't doctors either). So the information below is not authoritative in any way - I just want to give you a basic idea of what this drug is about. Doing your own research and consulting your doctor is essential.

What is it?

Mesterolone is an orally active steroid. It is an anabolic steroid, but its anabolic activity is not very strong. So bodybuilders don't typically take this to increase their muscle mass. However, they do often use it to combat gynecomastia, a.k.a., the dreaded "bitch tits".

It is also sometimes prescribed by doctors to increase sexual desire (libido), and it is for this purpose that SWIM is interested in it. It is probably prescribed for various other medical conditions related to sex hormones as well.

What Does it Do?

Mesterolone reduces circulating estrogen levels by inhibiting the aromatase enzyme which converts testosterone to estrogen. (So it helps bodybuilders avoid the estrogen side effects produced by other anabolic steroids.)

It also binds to two proteins (sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and albumin) which normally bind to testosterone and render it inactive. As a result, the amount of free testosterone available in the body is effectively increased.

I will post some more detailed information below about what mesterolone does and how it does it, but I want to keep this introductory post at a basic level.

Legaility and Availability

Mesterolone is Schedule III in the U.S. I do not know about its legal status in other countries - except I do know that it is legally available over the counter in some countries.

Dose

Under the brand name of Proviron, mesterolone comes in 25mg pills. I believe that bodybuilders typically take about 25mg to 50mg per day, i.e., 1 or 2 pills. That is the dosage level that SWIM used for his libido-enhancing experiments with this drug.

Side Effects

Mesterolone is generally considered to have very mild side effects compared to other anabolic steroids when taken at the dosage level mentioned above. However, SWIM can tell you from his experience that it *does* have some of the typical side effects associated with anabolic steroids. (See the report below.)

Note that one bodybuilding site says that, "In high doses it can cause some virilization symptoms in women."

2. Expat98

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Here is the chemical structure:

[​IMG]

And here is some information from a bodybuilding website. Take everything below with a grain of salt. For example, I think he downplays the side effects somewhat, based on what SWIM said.

Attached Files:

3. Expat98

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Ok, now finally for the fun stuff! :cool:

SWIM's experience is from about 3 years ago. He did not take detailed notes, but I will write up what he told me in as much detail as I can remember.

SWIM tells me that he's thinking of giving this another trial within the next few weeks. I will report those results in more detail if there is interest in the forum.

SWIM started off with one 25mg pill for the first week. At first he thought that he could detect an increase in his sex drive, but he wasn't really sure if it was real or placebo. This feeling soon went away after a couple of days, and he just felt normal.

After 1 week he still felt normal, and he started taking 50mg per day. After a few more days he still felt normal, and SWIM became disappointed and more or less wrote it off as being ineffective. However, he decided to keep taking it a little longer because he'd read that the effects take time to build up in your body.

Somewhere around the 2 week mark he started to feel the changes. Mentally, the most noticeable thing was just a significantly increased feeling of general well-being and overall satisfaction with life. Physically, he felt great. The muscles in his body also started to firm up, and the fatty tissue in his breast area went almost completely away. SWIM did not work out during this period, but he's on a workout program now and will continue that on his next trial. He thinks that even though mesterolone is not known as a strong anabolic steroid that it will still lead to some strength gains in the gym.

Ok, but what about sex drive?

Quite simply, sex was always on his mind during this period of mesterolone use. More particularly, he always had a mental image of...well I don't want to get too graphic, but let me just say that he always had sexual imagery in his mind, no matter what he was doing. He could be talking to someone or working or whatever, and it was like he was giving his full concentration to both the task at hand and the mental image in his mind at the same time.

He had quite a lot of sex during this period and was very happy with the effect that mesterolone had on his sex drive. But.... (there's always a "but" isn't there? :s)

SWIM was a little disappointed in the sex itself. First, SWIM normally has very sensitive nipples and enjoys them being touched during sex. As noted above, the drug reduced the amount of fatty tissue around the nipples. Unfortunately this caused the pleasurable sensation in this area to be almost completely eliminated.

Second, SWIM sometimes couldn't last as long as usual...he would sometimes just come too soon, whereas he normally never has a problem with control. On the upside, however, SWIM could have sex as many times as he wanted...and he wanted it a lot, a lot more than usual.

Third, his semen volume was lower than usual. I know some people don't get this, but SWIM says that he thinks the physical sensation of the semen coursing out during orgasm is pleasurable, and the more there is, the more pleasurable it is.

So the sex had pluses and minuses, but overall SWIM would definitely rate it as a positive because his sex drive was heightened to such a great degree.

There were also some mild physical side effects, most notably some hair-related side effects. There was no visible hair loss, but SWIM noticed that there were more stray hairs on his pillow than usual when he woke up in the morning. Also, he now has more hair on his back, and a slight amount of hair on the underside of his forearms, whereas he had none before. As mentioned, this has been about 3 years ago, so these effects seem to be irreversible.

SWIM took the mesterolone for about a month and then stopped. It was his first time ever taking a steroid of any kind, so he just wanted to give it a brief trial and see how it went (and he did not want the hair loss side effects to get any worse).

SWIM says that in his next trial he is going to stick with 25mg instead of 50mg, at least for the first 3 weeks or so. He increased it to 50mg after a week on the first trial, but he now knows that the drug takes a couple of weeks to kick in. He hopes that this will eliminate the side effects.

To sum it all up: This is not a perfect drug, but SWIM says that he greatly enjoyed the sense of well-being and the increased sex drive that it offered, and he's going to give it another trial.

4. superchumbo

superchumbo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o Male from Australia
    That's such an interesting read, thanks for posting SWIY's experiences.

Personally SWIM has done anabolic steriods and always wanted to include proviron for its pure androgenic functions, lowering estrogen and also increasing the amount of free testosterone circulating the system.

Awesome... :)