Drug info - Psilocybe McKennai

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Paderas, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Paderas

Paderas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    What is going on with this mushroom?
    Where did it come from? Is it a crossbreed of some sort as i've heard??

Any replies will be greatly appreciated!

It is also mentioned here:
    https://drugs-forum.com/mushrooms-use.html

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I like it a lot. Some say it's a cross breed between Azurescens and cubensis. I find that highly unlikely. But nonetheless it is a very interesting mushrooms. The dose is much lower then cubensis and I like the effect better as well. They are very tiny mushrooms. One dose of 20 grams has about 30 in them. NatureBoyLiam has written his experience down here:
    Report: Psilocybe McKennai and also notes it here: Whats your favorite?
    There is a source for the mushroom listed in the sources forum.
    We need more experiences with this mushroom.

3. Ninjalittle

Ninjalittle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from sweden
    My sources told me that it is a cross breed between psilocybe cubensis and copelandia cyanescens, but I don't know if those are facts. I've tried it while two other friends did cubensis and the main difference was in the intensity (my ego dissolved during the peak, theirsä didn't) and time of effect. The onset for psilocybe mckennaii was slightly faster but the duration of the peak was much shorter. When I was almost compeltely down they were still going strong. My dose was a bit bigger than theirs', too.

Something definitely worth mentioning though is that the taste of fresh mckennaiis is great! It's actually much better than any other mushroom I've tasted (including those that don't contain psilocybin). Next time I'm only getting McKennaii, just for the taste! The experience was great, too.

4. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    It is highly unlikely that it is a crossbreed, it is extremely difficult to do this especially with mushrooms from a different genus. I have been told it a renamed strain, possibly a strain discovered by McKenna whose name escapes me ATM (very exotic sounding name). They do seem to quite potent though.

5. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    The name was given in honor of McKenna, that's all. It is no cross breed between copelandia and cubensis. It looks like a mini-cubensis, but the effects differ a lot from normal cubensis. Very nice one.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Definitely a great strain. Probably SWIM's favourite.

7. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Syzygy is the name of the strain I have heard mentioned as a possible candidate fo McKennaii. It was apparently discovered by Mc Kenna

8. Ninjalittle

Ninjalittle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from sweden
    Syzygy? Hehe, funny word. Sounds funny anyway, the meaning of it is pretty cool.

Snipped fom some site off of google...

9. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I'm sure Mckenna would give everyone a nice lecture from the dead about the origin of this one if he could. ;)

10. bearded

bearded Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am pretty sure that this is just a P. cubensis strain renamed as a seperate species. Hybrids would be near impossible.

There aren't any actual mycological references to this species anywhere, and it seems the only information about this is from vendors that are selling this mushroom.

I would be interested to see pictures of these mushrooms if anyone has grown them, and a picture of the spore print.

11. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    The original Psilocybe McKennai is no longer available, as the grower has been raided in Holland and lost all his equipment. The strength of this species is different from cubensis. (30% stronger) The effect is notifically different as well. It looks like mini-cubensis. I highly suspect the strength and effect of this mushroom has more to do with growing conditions/substrate, than species. When smartshops started selling it, it soon became very popular. Soon after another grower labelled his normal cubensis under the same name(with some misspelling) All fresh mushrooms currently available under the name McKennai is fake, being normal cubensis relabeled.

There are no Psilocybe mckennai spore prints or grow kits commercially available.

12. bearded

bearded Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So only one person in the entire world had "Psilocybe mckennai"?

No one thought to clone this?

I have had mini-cubensis from spawning WBS to a coco coir casing, not enough nutrients he thinks to produce the large fruits you are looking for. A 2gram bag got him out of his mind, and probably contained 75 mushrooms total.

I think this is true.

13. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Growers did clone this, but did not get good results.

14. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    WTF? There go SWIM's favourite mushrooms ever. At least he was lucky enough to try them several times when they were still in circulation. Would it be impossible to "bring them back" as it were?

15. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    SWIM hears that the grower will be at it again, in the future.

16. bearded

bearded Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Does SWIAlfa know of a way that I could possibly get ahold of a print of these spores? He's interested in a comparison of the Psilocybe mckennai vs Psilocybe cubensis at the microscopic level.

The print could be dirty, if the grower was concerned about others growing his strains. I do no agar work, so wouldn't be able to grow from a print made in non-sterile conditions.

This would aid in confirming that this is a newly discovered species, instead of just a P. cubensis strain renamed, or a mutant variety of P. cubensis.

17. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    I will let you know if he finds a print.

18. bearded

bearded Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.