Storing - Psilocybin Mushroom Storage: Freezing

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by novas, Feb 9, 2004.

1. novas

novas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Might be a stupid question, but can you freeze shrooms?

2. roisianna

roisianna Newbie

Reputation Points:
    You're not meant to freeze fresh shrooms, but i'm not sure about dry ones...

3. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    No.

4. novas

novas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thankoo. *hugglez shrooms* Thats another near death experiance you guys have escaped.

5. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Dried mushrooms can be frozen. In fact, vaccum sealed with a dessicant pack is the best way to keep the potency. Fresh mushrooms are 90% water. When the fresh mushroom freezes, the water expands the cells of the flesh. When thawed, the cell structures are fractured, leaving the thawed mushrooms basically a mushy mess.

6. el bandito

el bandito Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was wondering if putting dryed shrooms in a freezer might help it keep potentcy, or do they last for a long time as long as they are completely dryed and kept in a cool dark space.

7. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Freezing shrooms is not a good idea. Fresh shrooms will turn to snot, dried mushrooms can get dark. Doesn't seem good to me. You can store properly dried mushrooms for 6 - 12 months.

8. graffixak

graffixak Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    There are people who have reported that properly dried stuff stored in a sealable plastic bag can stay perfectly good in the fridge for better than a year. In that report, the person was rather shocked to find perfectly preserved power after more than a year and half - expecting the stash had been reduced to unusable after 6 months. Like finding money you stashed a year ago.

Freezing is definitely not a good idea, and storing at room temperature is probably not a good idea. In theory, 35-45 degrees fahrenheit would probably be best.

9. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Freezing shrooms

Why is freezing not a good idea?
    Swim put his fresh shrooms in the freezer two day ago...

will they lose potency or will they taste worse or cause stomach problems or nausea, or will all be the same, just that they don´t look pretty anymore?

10. JustAnotherNoob

JustAnotherNoob Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o

As Alfa noted above, the shrooms will "turn to snot" aka melt. It'll be
    pretty messy when You thaws em out.

Seems like the goop would still have the psilocybin/psilocin in it to SWIM,
    but whether or not consuming the goop would harm you, no idea.
    Be careful :)

11. fatmanstan

fatmanstan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

I have kept thoroughly dried and packed shrooms (cubes) in a freezer for a number of years with no problems and little or no noticable loss of potency. As far as fresh shrooms in the freezer, they're likely goners, unless you want to eat them through a straw. Would the active ingredients be destroyed though?

12. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:

So if someone who isn´t Just Another Noob has tried it and tasted fresh frezed shrooms after thawing I´m convinced that ir he says it works it´ll work for swim.:)

I´m just concerned about contamination and loss of potency not so much about consistency:) which will of course, too, find its way into my annals, to teaching swim.:crazy :D ;)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  13. Mammon

Mammon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Does freezing shrooms save potency?

O.K. I have tried the search engine and found that most DF members say that freezing shrooms is a bad idea. However, I know that drying them (these are liberty caps, by the way) loses potency. If he was prepared to deal with a defrosted slime of mushroom, would freezing them fresh from the field save the good stuff, or is the only way to dry them in the open air and accept the loss?

What are the real downsides of freezing them?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  14. robin_himself

robin_himself Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Re: Does freezing shrooms save potency?

If one dries the mushrooms properly, the loss of potency wouldn't be a big deal. You might try to dry the shrooms and then keep them in a jar with honey. This will give him shrooms that will last for as long as You needs. When you dry and put in honey You doesn't even have to dry them to the max. Also try to use good soft/liquid honey.... will make the whole thing alot easier.

As for the freezing.... don't expose You his shrooms to to much extrime temps, its not neccessary.

15. Routemaster Flash

Routemaster Flash Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Hmm, personally I wouldn't freeze shrooms that hadn't been completely, or almost completely, dried out first (or cooked, in the case of regular edible ones). Reason being, mushrooms are 90% or more water by weight, and when you freeze plant or fungus matter containing that much water the expanding ice crystals destroy the cell walls, meaning the whole thing turns into a pile of mush when you defrost it. For the same reason there are certain vegetables you're not meant to freeze.

So probably better to dry them, or dry and then freeze, rather than freeze them fresh. The reason you lose potency when drying is that the psilocin degrades whereas the psilocybin (which gets turned into psilocin when you ingest it) is much more stable and can stand the drying. But most kinds of shrooms have more psilocybin in them than psilocin, and it sounds like SWIJ got a good haul anyway, :) so I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  16. Zentaurus41

Zentaurus41 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from guatemala

I would of though it depends on ya freezer, I had a frost free one that removes moisture from the air. So when swim freezes cubes, they come out cold dryed even when thawed. All the water from em is gone.

17. Routemaster Flash

Routemaster Flash Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Cool, I want one of those! :cool:

18. Panthers007

Panthers007 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

If one has access to a freeze-drying apparatus - the mushrooms will not lose potency and will be perfectly preserved end-to-end. Alas, freeze-drying gear is very expensive. But they can be found at universities and other research facilities.

19. Nargyle

Nargyle Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from peru

What about tossing them in a frost-free freezer and putting a container with damp-rid next to them, then closing the fridge, would that freeze dry them? or is SWIM speaking nonsense? He has noticed that when he puts meat in his freezer and doesn't cover it well it comes out really dry.

20. Zentaurus41

Zentaurus41 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from guatemala

The freezer should just extract the moisture on its own.
    Well thats my experience.

I think your frost free freezer may have to be the ones with fans in side em as these helps to remove the moisture.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008