Drug info - Psilocybin Mushrooms: Dry or Fresh Megathread

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by DaFuZzMaStA, Jul 20, 2004.

1. DaFuZzMaStA

DaFuZzMaStA Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I saw that you need to take 20-60 mushrooms of this certain type, then it only sais 1 gram if they are dry. So they are more potent when dry? (sorry im a noob at this)

How would I go about drying them?

2. Insane Asian

Insane Asian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    there are drying kits its usually set on a wire type net then dried with a heating lamp or a really bright light. they are more potent dry and they can be stored longer

3. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Drying removes water content, which lessons the bulk you must eat. They usually dry to 10% their weight. Dry muchrooms with a dehydrator with heat element disconnected, or with a fan, then use dessicant chamber to remove any leftover moisture. If they are not stored in a vaccum sealed bag, with a dessicant pak and kept in fridge, shelf life is short.

4. mycoguy

mycoguy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    if anything....dry mushrooms LOSE potency. They surely dont gain potency.

Where'd you read that from? And what mushroom???

Was it one of Allen's books?

5. hacnslash

hacnslash Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    OneDiaDem is right. They're not more potent but they lose water and so they're smaller yet the potency remains the same. So instead of 10 fresh grams you only eat 1 dry gram. If you dry them yourself you'll see you still eat about 20-60 mushrooms only they're much much much smaller.

6. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    personally, I prefer dried. it's easier to dose, and less weight to eat.

7. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I personally enjoy the first batch of fresh shrooms I take every year. The trip is always amazing. In general I like both, but since I take shrooms dried more than I do fresh, I'll vote dried but fresh is amazing

8. OneDiaDem

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Whatever you dose, keep in mind that dried mushrooms are only 10% in weight compared to fresh.

For a normal dose:

3 grams dry=30 grams fresh. Choking down 30 grams of fresh is a feat. Some people get stomach aches and nausea from that much fresh bulk. However, if you can tolerate it, fresh are wonderful!

9. heep

heep Newbie

Reputation Points:
    so really ad still have to buy 30 grams worth then dry them so its worth 3 grams?

is their any scientific crap that says eatin fresh are better than dry

10. sunra

sunra Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Fresh shrooms contain psilocin and psilocybin ,when dried the psilocin turns into psilocybin .However ,sinceapparently when eaten the body breaks psilocin into psilocybinanyway it makes no difference . My subjective experience is that I get more of a rush off fresh , but I might just be imagining it . Also allthough you have to eat more of fresh they don't taste as foul as dried mushrooms .

11. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    It is not as simple as that: there are many other tryptamines(like baeocystin)in shrooms than psilocin and psilocybin. Shrooms with high psilocin contents differ in effect from shrooms with shrooms with high psilocybin contents. The same goes for the effects of the substances themselves. So, although psilocin is converted to psilocybin in the course of metabolism, it still has a different effect likely prior to the conversion.

Dried magic mushrooms are easier/safer to dose, the effect is more stoned. In the process of drying, psilocin, psilocybin and other psychedelic tryptamins are lost, because of heat exposure. A good way of illustrating this is that you need (depending on what strain) 12 to 15 kg fresh magic mushrooms to get 1 kg dry magic mushrooms. In the case of Psilocybe cubensis (mexican mushrooms) you will need around 13 -14 kg fresh magic mushrooms for 1 kg dry. But the dry magic mushrooms are only 12 times stronger(if you dry it well and not to hot), not 13-14 times. This is why fresh magic mushrooms are stronger per mushroom and dry is stronger per gram. Fresh magic mushooms give a more active effect. Better? It's a matter of taste.

12. OneDiaDem

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Mushrooms should never be dried with heat. I use a dehydrator with the heat element unplugged, allowing just air to pass over the mushrooms. You can rig up a dryer by using a regular fan blowing on the fresh mushrooms on a window screen inside of a box.It takes @24-36 hrs to dry them, from there they go into a dessicant chamber for cracker dryness. Then to store, they are vaccum sealed with a dessicant pak, and froze.

13. Lynchx

Lynchx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
  14. ThirdEyeFloond

ThirdEyeFloond Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    Actually dried mushrooms are less potent than when fresh, as the psilocin is broken down in the drying process.

15. jamesluig

jamesluig Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I've read drying looses potency.But ime there's no noticable differents between wet and dry.I have noticed dry store longer than wet.So imo the benifit of drying far outweigh the slight potency loss.

16. OneDiaDem

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I agree, fresh are always the best. Its just so much bulk to eat, and The potency loss is very little if dried and stored properly. They do start loosing potency when dried if they are left outside of an airtight vaccumed enviroment, and not frozen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
  17. Bodhisattva500

Bodhisattva500 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    most mushrooms are 92 percent water and their is no reason why they would be more potent wet

18. Mr. Anders0n

Mr. Anders0n Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Fresh mushrooms
    are more potent/mushroom. And remember heat lowers potency so when u
    make pizza or anything dont be tempted to put them in the oven too.
    just place them ontop after its done.

19. limpet chicken

limpet chicken Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Wet mushrooms are more potent wet, but less concentrated.

Psilocin is unstable, and breaks down easily, it will be utterly destroyed upon drying.

20. OneDiaDem

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    There are no known studies on this subject. I have dried mushrooms to cracker dry, ground them up, and stored them in a vaccum sealed bag, placed inside a glass jar with no noticable loss of potency then when eaten fresh. As long as they are semi-dried by fan with no heat, and placed into a dessicant chamber in a dark place until cracker dry and immediately put into an airtight container there is very little loss.

From Erowid:
    Psilocybin and psilocin are sensitive to oxidation, with psilocin being particularly sensitive. This process is accelerated at higher temperatures. There is no specific temperature at which this breakdown occurs, however, the longer you expose the psiloc(yb)in to a raised temperature (in the presence of oxygen or an oxidizer), the more will be degraded.