Psychedelic drugs in medicine

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by turkeyphant, Feb 17, 2007.

1. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hey psychedelic people. I'm currently a student at a UK university studying the History and Philosophy of Science. At the moment I'm writing a dissertation on psychedelic drugs and their history. I want to cover the research done in the 60s; psychedelics as an adjunct to psychotherapy; treatments for OCD, cluster headaches, schizophrenia, alcoholism and terminal patients; underground therapy using Shulgin's phenethylamines and tryptamines; and the future of psychedelics in medical science with particular reference to organisations such as MAPS.

As such, I'd really appreciate any of your comments and opinions on any of the matters mentioned above. I'm particularly keen on hearing your theories for the neglect of psychedelic chemicals in modern medicine, promising studies and journal articles you think I may have overlooked in my research and promising reports on the medical use of psychedelics other than LSD, mescaline, psilocybin.

I'd also be really interested to hear your experiences with psychedelics - both the positives they have brought to your life and negative experiences, flashbacks or dangers you perceive in their use. Or just to let me know your general opinions about psychedelics especially with regard to their medical licensing and legality.

Feel free to reply in this thread or PM me if you prefer.

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  2. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  3. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks. I've already raped all the archives to do with psychedelics but I still haven't got round to uploading some of the more interesting articles I've found. Promise I will when I get a free hour somewhere...

I've also looked through the Erowid and Maps archives - half the problem with writing about this topic is the sheer volume of literature to wade though. It's hard, but I'm having to be selective about what I read and write about.