Effects - Psychosis from Magic Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Corksil, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Corksil

Corksil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    "[SIZE=-1]mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning"

This is the definition I got for Psychosis - and it seems quite fitting. I was tripping with a friend recently and SWIM's friend seemed to become a completely different person. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? It was slightly disturbing, because SWIM's friend seemed to talk differently and act differently - like he never had before.

I would say "hey xxxxx" and xxxxx would look at him and say "yessssss... that is what they call me..... xxxxx" and ignore the question. I would ask again, and xxxxx would say "xxxxx isn't here right now... please leave a message." then laugh hysterically. Kinda strange - anyone have anything to add?

2. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: Psychosis...? Any experience anyone?

There is so much swia could post here , but out of fear of judgment swia will not include any of her psychotic antics. alot of them she was told about and at the time seemed perfectly normal to her but to everyone else was evident she was unwell she had prrobs since she was 16, this was also long before her drug taking too or became excessive anyway.

I think your friend was just high at the time if he had lost in that way he would not have changed seems like he was just playing about. You'd know it if someone lost it.

3. darawk

darawk Gold Member

Reputation Points:

You know your friend better than I do, but that sounds like he was just messing with you and/or trying to "trip you out". In SWIM's experiences, psychedelics tend to have a tendency to make things that would ordinarily be mildly funny quite hilarious.

4. Corksil

Corksil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I understand what both of the above posters say. I also understand their reasoning, though SWIM only mentions it because xxxxx was acting so differently. Xxxxx talked differently, sat differently, did things that he had no history of doing (biting nails, etc) - few other things. It was pretty odd to see such a complete personality/character switch for a few hours.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

Sounds to me like he just stepped outside of his normal personna and took a walk-a-bout. This can be a wonderful experience to have on psychedelics and should only cause concern if the person never re-integrates after the psychedelic has left the building.

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

6. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States

Ditto. Even people you know well can become total strangers during a trip.
    Chances are that they don't even know how different they are acting -
    apparently SWIM can be a total freak while tripping. ;)

7. Corksil

Corksil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Yeah, SWIM supposes that makes sense. However I felt like noting it because it was so damn odd to see Xxxxx acting like that. Thanks for the replies...

8. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

I have encountered individuals who act very differently to the norm under the influence of psychedelics. One example includes a big scary dude who started acting like a happy kid after taking several hits of acid. Normally the guy is very serious, almost cold-hearted. While tripping he just sits there and plays with Lego.

9. Corksil

Corksil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I see, these substances are very interesting. I don't know why, but I felt afraid of the new Xxxxx, SWIM wonders why. I was having a bad trip, but something about the new Xxxxx terrified him, like he lost his friend to the drug, and he would never come back.

10. Cman1732

Cman1732 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o

"A drunken man's words, are a sober man's thoughts."