Experiences - Psychosis or Panic Attack?

Discussion in 'Phenethylamines' started by Praxis, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Praxis

Praxis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    When I had their first trip, it was a very scary moment. was very panicy and asking himself why he took that drug, what was he think, etc. SWIM freaked out and layed in bed feeling very very bad. I felt like he was going to die and was very scared needless to say. SWIM called their friend, and told him he didnt like it and the voices were echoeing and finally I said"what was that?"(refering to the echoes or the voices). after about and hour and a half maybe, SWIM calmed down, and had an amazing night.

Later when SWIM talked with the friend on the phone again about what happened, the friend said I was deep in psychosis. That friend is a very travelled person so to speak.

It has been a while since I have tripped and is planning on doing it again, but SWIM remember this from a while back, and thought, "gee what if that was a state of psychosis?" Judging by this description of what happened, would you guys say this a normal panic reaction, or could it be an actual state of psychosis?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  2. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    sounds like nothing worse than I has experienced. while he did not have a bad first experience, he has had similar ones (ex: feeling as if he was going to die/not wake up from going to sleep). if I remember correctly from another of your posts, swiy's first trip was on 2c-e. in swim's experience, 2c-e can have very noticeable auditory effects (and pretty much every hallucinogen will alter swiy's thought process). while I am not a doctor or health professional in any way, he would say that You most likely experienced a mild panic/anxiety attack due to being on a hallucinogen for the first time (and a rather potent one at that).

3. Praxis

Praxis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    but would that mean that I have an anxiety disorder/problem (SWIW is a worry wort, and over analyzes things sometimes to the point where he almost get suspicious or freaked out, but he knows its not real or whatever), and would that make it a mental illness?

4. illuminati boy

illuminati boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Many my have reported feeling that “oh my God what the fuck have I done now” feeling either the first few times they trip or if they move into much stronger territory. If you are hearing voices or thinking you are the center of some grand cosmic plot or plan after the drugs wear off, then you got problems. If you have altered perceptions while under the effects of a perception altering drug, you probably are not going through actual psychosis.

From a technical point of view your title is a false dichotomy… both “panic attack” and “psychosis” are terms that have specific meanings in the mental health and medical communities. I could simply have been uncomfortable with the psychic (mental not magickal) effects of a psychedelic compound, it may not have met the criteria for either a panic attack or any form of psychosis… though SWIM might have met DSM-IV-TR requirements for “Hallucinogen Intoxication” (ICD 292.89)

I B

5. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    leggo the ego, never easy as the latter likes the self and controlling the biorobot, thank you kindly, defense mechanisms kick into play, if you have alot of baggage unresolved, this may come to the forefront.

psychedelics are tools not toys, and i put forth that even long versed travelers are oft inept at diagnosis as just as oft they lack qualifications, insight and plain ol' common sense (telling someone tripping they are psychotic is not the wisest of calls).

DSM - ah the memories of 2nd year uni psych..i must have every malady therein since symptoms are selfevident, gasp shock and horror! ;-)