1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Tapering - Pupils Reacting to Light

Discussion in 'Opiate addiction' started by sadie73, Jul 26, 2017.

1. sadie73

sadie73 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have been continually on some form of opiate since 2004, minus a six-week cold turkey in 2005. The usual ... started with pain pills, subs, H, methadone, etc. and finally in 2010? got on high doses of loperamide and haven't touched anything else since. At my highest I was taking 65 pills twice a day. I also had to split-dose with methadone after peak-trough blood test confirmed my levels. I have been on a looooong taper off the loperamide, 32 weeks of dropping my dose by one pill per week. I'm down to 28 twice a day now, and just noticed the most amazing thing. For the first time in years, my pupils actually react to light! Usually they are always pinpoints but today I noticed they look normal. Not huge withdrawal size, just normal size. And when I turned the light off and back on, they changed size. I know, stupid, stupid thing to be excited about. But after so many years of having visual evidence of opiate usage to anyone who knows the signs, it's nice to finally feel like I'm making some progress. Even though my dose is less than half of what it was, it's still a lot every day and I want to be done. But I have succeeded by going very slow and avoiding any major withdrawal, just minor irritation a few days after dropping each week.

Anyway, just wanted to share and since nobody knows I am even doing this, figured I'd post here. Been a lurker for a long, long time. :)

2. kicknlopes

kicknlopes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm very excited for you! You've done an amazing thing, that isn't easy, and I applaud your willpower. Kudos to you!

3. Cid Lysergic

Cid Lysergic Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from Calgary, Alberta
    lol, remember, you no longer have the ability to look at the sun. It'd be much harder with huge pupils as the sun on those is horrid.

4. ladywolf2012

ladywolf2012 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Foothills of Arizona
    I'm very excited for you too!

For me, the pupil constriction issue was HUGE when I was addicted to oxycodone, morphine, etc. I developed terrible vision--my eyes would blink and flicker constantly, and go out of focus. I was totally unable to read, and totally unsafe driving, yet drive I did anyway, and had a few fender-benders because my depth of field was so screwed up and my eyes were moving around at horrifying speed.

So I too was so, SO grateful when I finally quit the opioids and all this visual madness went away. Thank god I sustained no permanent damage--I was afraid that I would. Good for you for sticking with your withdrawal program, and good luck with following your own reasonable schedule for finally breaking free of the trap...

5. sadie73

sadie73 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I know LOL the eclipse won't be near as awesome now, but the tradeoff is totally worth it! I also had major vision problems, mainly double vision for anything more than 15 feet away from me. My eyes would just cross and go different directions if I tried to focus that far. The eye doctors couldn't tell me what was wrong, but of course I did not share my loperamide dosing with them so how could they. I would drive with one eye closed to stop the double vision, but the tunnel vision and dark, blurry edges made night driving impossible. It is so nice to be able to drive at night again and actually see everything around me!