Extraction - Purifying Salvinorin

Discussion in 'Salvia divinorum' started by DrugPhreak, Mar 13, 2005.

1. DrugPhreak

DrugPhreak Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    75 y/o from iceland
    Has anyone tried pet. ether as a purifying solvent? It seems like it would be better than recrystallizing in ethanol.Edited by: DrugPhreak

2. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    um.....I may be wrong here, not being familiar with salvia or its pharmacology, but couldnt one purify salvinorin fairly easier with a polar extraction, then adding some lye, and a nonpolar solvent? then seperating and emaciating? seems so much easier than this overly complicated, and might I add expensive process. 95% pure alchohol is about $20 a liter, wheras 99% isopropanol is about 78 cents a liter, one could use ether as the nonpolar solvent, but this "recrystalization" seems for the birds. why not just emaciate?!?!?

3. 9-thc4me

9-thc4me Newbie

Reputation Points:
    well that would work great if it was an alkaloid, but for terpenoids like Salvinorin A and B that wouldn't work too well as their solubilties are quite a bit different and they dont readily form salts etc. that are soluble in p solvents.... however I might be wrong just my 2 cents.

4. DrugPhreak

DrugPhreak Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    75 y/o from iceland
    Yep, an A/B is of no use... like when you are extracting THC.IPA/acetone worked ok, but I was thinking that pet. ether would work better since it's not soluble in it. Placing some in a test tube with boiling pet. ether should suck up a lot of impurities off the crystals. I wonder why the person that use to post on the Lycaeum with the handle "Salvinorin"never tried this. [​IMG]Anyone have some semi-pure crystals to try this with? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

5. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ah I see. I always assumed it was an alkaloid. isnt THC MORE soluable in nonpolars than polars? and does this mean that emaciation of singular purified extraction isnt a viable way to obtain the substance? and that it must be reformed in a polar solvent?

6. DrugPhreak

DrugPhreak Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    75 y/o from iceland
    To be classified as an alkaloid amolecule must contain a Nitrogen. LikeSalvinorin, THC is also a terpenoid. In morecorrect termsTHC is a terpenophenolic and Salvinorin is a diterpenoid. THC is soluble in just about every solvent, excluding water. Doing an extraction from any terpenoid containing plantsis also simplified by the fact that the desiredcompounds are normally on the surface.

7. P4nic

P4nic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have some pure Salvinorin A but haven't been able to weight it properly. So still searching for a good scale.

8. DrugPhreak

DrugPhreak Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    75 y/o from iceland
    Why the hell would you need to purify pure Salvinorin A? [​IMG]I'm waiting for more and will be trying this soon.