Ireland - Push for laws to stop sale of ‘legal highs’

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by Lunar Loops, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Lunar Loops

Lunar Loops Driftwood Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Here we go, all aboard the panic fuelled prohibitionist express ....this from The Irish Examiner (Friday):

Push for laws to stop sale of ‘legal highs

Government TDs have expressed concern over the dangers posed by a range of mood-altering substances, newly available over the counter in Ireland, which are not mentioned in current drugs legislation.

Fianna Fáil backbench TD Peter Power says he will push for emergency legislation banning the sale of such “legal highs”.

The Department of Health, meanwhile, confirmed that its drug research board will raise will issue of legal-highs at EU level.

A recent Irish Examiner report found that 20 substances — banned in the US and other countries — can be bought over the counter here because they do not come under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

Flying Angel Funk Pills, Jax Pills, Smileys, Sex-E and Salvia are all growing in popularity here, particularly among young professionals seeking a mind-altering experience without breaking the law.

In a statement, the department it said: “The emergence of new substances is examined in the context of the EU early warning system and risk assessment process.

“The National Advisory Committee on Drugs’ early warning and emerging trends sub-committee has asked the health research board to raise the issue of BZP (benzylpiperazine) and other substances with the EU, to see what the experiences of other EU countries are in this regard.”

It is a year this week since Health Minister Mary Harney banned the sale of magic mushrooms, blamed for the death of a young man who jumped off a balcony.

Since then, two more potent hallucinogenspeyote cactus and salvia — have come on sale here legally.

There is also concern about BZP, found in pills that claim to be five times the strength of ecstasy.

Limerick TD, Peter Power (FF), who sits on the Oireachtas Justice Committee said: “It’s time ban “party pills” and I will be in touch with my colleagues in Government about bringing in emergency legislation to take them off the shelves.”

He said: “Some of these drugs are potentially addictive, others potentially toxic, but all change the user’s state of mind and mimic the effects of Class-A drugs such as cocaine, ecstasy and LSD. Frighteningly, there are few age restrictions on the sale of these drugs, bar the shops’ own self-imposed age limits.”

2. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Push for laws to stop sale of ‘legal highs’ (Ireland)

There seems to be a lot of talk about the head shops in Ireland. With various tv stations, radio shows and papers reporting on them. It seems we could see a crackdown on these shops. This pisses SWIM off.

SWIM and everyone else needs to keep a close eye on this. It's a bloody pain coming from a country that seems to be going further and further away from any chance of reform with regards to drug laws.

If they ban the legal highs then SWIM imagines they'll be targeting fun and fresh air next. A tax on every breathe we take and anyone caught smiling or having fun shall recieve a life sentence.

What the hell can SWIM and co do about this?

3. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands

It almost seems like Ireland is living in a fishbowl where Headshops are something new and special the population needs to get used to. Overall the remedy to that is normalisation. In other words; add more headshops to the mix or find other ways to adjust the people to the existance of headshops in society.

4. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:

Any suggestions Alfa or others as to how we would be able to make people adjust to the existance of headshops. Sites and forums like this obviously help but how else could somebody go about this

5. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

It wouldn't be entirely surprising if Ireland went the American way and introduced a blanket headshop ban or even going to the lengths of banning the sale of all bongs, pipes, papers etc. just to appease the endless supplies of Granny Smarms out there.

6. senorsalvia

senorsalvia Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Swim notes that approximately a year ago he was crusing aroung, Googling "Research Chemicals" (after the big debacle of U.S. arrest of several resales companies), and he noticed that almost all of the "Shulgin Goodies" were available legally in Ireland... Alot of the same companies that the U.S. had come down on were still offering these morsels in to those in Ireland.... Looks like that's about to change eh???? A ban on Salvia:eek: --- Some really sorry 'public protectors eh?????---------------- sal

7. Storming Heaven

Storming Heaven Silver Member

Reputation Points:

People have to write to the goverment express concerns about prohibition. hassle TD's about where they stand in your community on these issues let them know that they will lose votes.Ring into the shows on the radio write to the editors of the newspapers let them know that you are boycotting the paper as a result. Tell the TD's that unless they support the ending of prohibition you will not vote for them and tell them that you will tell your friends the same its very simple but you must act ranting on forums is not enough!!!

8. namooP

namooP

Reputation Points:

Thatd be a massive mistake. You have to understand where these people are coming from. They want to bring in the votes, not please the drug using minority at the cost of their careers. The reason the drugs are still legal is because no one knows about them. The reason mushrooms were banned is someone killed themselves on them and some do-gooder started banging their drum about it. If you start making a big deal about it youre just bringing it into the publics view, condeming them to the law books.

9. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:

You are mistaken. All the commonly available trytamines and phenethylamines are illegal in Ireland. See this thread for more details.

10. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:

What pisses SWIM off is the fact that how many people have killed themselves because of alcohol but we don't see any ban etc. on that substance. Governments around the world seem to have an agenda against certain drugs but see no problem with alcohol. sigh!

SWIM heard or read somewhere that guy supposedly did it thinking he could fly. How many birds do you see jumping off buildings to fly

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  11. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Bastards! This could really put a dent in my business plan, pretty simple really, open a headshop. There are just enough smokers in the area to sustain business with pipes bongs skins an all that shit, breaking even most likely (if lucky), the whole legal drug section was really gonna pull in those profits, was gonna have all the hemp clothes and products I could get my hands on too. Grandpappy was gonna back it, don't think it'll be worth it if I can't sell the legal highs.

I read, here I think, that there were whispers that he jumped out the window only 10ish minutes after consuming the mushies (before any effects could have even presented themselves) and that he'd also drunk a shit load of wine. I'd also guess that any murmurs about him thinking he could fly are a load of shite, there were no reports saying he actually said he thought he could fly that's just the conclusion some people jump to. He killed himself and that's that, people do it all the time, I'm sure his family were glad they had something to blame, no one wants to remember their loved ones in a negative light, they just took all their negative energy and placed it on a harmless fungus.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  12. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands

Nothing at all indicates that he thought he could fly. It happened 2 - 2.5 hours after consumption of the mushrooms. There are a lot of things that do not add up, like 3 vanished portions of mushrooms unaccounted for, a trashbin full of beer bottles and the rumour of the guy getting locked up in the bathroom while he was tripping balls. But this is all discussed in here: Mushrooms now banned in Ireland!

13. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:

Things really don't add up do they. But a mix of things like too many mushrooms, drinking too much beer and bad trip could result in this

14. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from ireland

This is really ruinging Swim's high right now!!! Swim may have to visit Grainne Kenny in an attmpt to convert her. That is not intended to be read as a threat!

And also, Dumb's last reply was smart! Why wasn't alchohal blamed? Look at the stats people!

1. Alchohal is responsible for the break up of the family unit.

2. Has been proven to cuase immense damage to the brain, Liver and kidneys.

3. It's incredibly addictive. If you want proof of this ask my dad's brother.

15. Storming Heaven

Reputation Points:

"Fianna Fáil backbench TD Peter Power says he will push for emergency legislation banning the sale of such “legal highs”. "

I have something to say about this clown...Peter bower has sat in Limerick (home of wicked witch and propaganda queen grainne kenny!! Coincidence my shiny metal ass) for five years and has achieved fuck all this is band wagon jumping pure and simple get a few snaps taken surrounded by "drugs" and maybe some nice catholic children who are just waiting to be dragged into the living hell of party pills, mushrooms and novelty ashtrays etc and bosh! Every two bit wanker journalist wants your photo and you have secured another couple of years either rotting in your judicary or even better some of the front benchers might notice your holy crusade and suggest you get your ass to Dublin with the big fish and the big money! And all you gotta do is get head shops closed down and you single handedly end Irelands drug problems.......fucking wanker get back in your box and pull a different crusade out of the hat with whatever taboid you consider to be relevant.......hypocritical self serving and false....only a fools fool would be blind or ignorant enough not to see this for what it is.
    If i have overstated anything I am sorry and if i have broken forum rules I am sorry also but clown around wankers like this make swims blood boil!!!!!!!!! Perhaps there is a politician out there who is not just in it for themselves and would like to try to protect a crumbling society by having a little imagination a decent mind and a set of balls and go out on a limb against prohibition it only takes one to get the ball rolling.

16. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from ireland

Oh but there is: Luke Flanagan, as far as I know the only politician of his type.

17. Storming Heaven

Reputation Points:

Trebor tell me more about this guy swim may approach him in the future

18. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from ireland
  19. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

Swim saw luke debating some politician ( cant think of the name now but will try to remember again ) about the legalisation of cannabis before. It was quite funny. Basically luke came up and said his thing and then the politician came up and just basically said he couldnt really argue against what luke was saying, and he went on to say that none of the politicians in ireland want to face him in a debate as they know they cant win .

20. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

Ah swim just remembered it was Dan Boyle who debated against him.