1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

PUSH notifications directly to your phone and desktop

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Alfa, May 22, 2017.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    I have just added a nifty feature that will allow you to get instant notifications for conversations, replies, quotes, if you are tagged, someone posts on your profile, etc. So basically anything that generates an alert can now also give you a notification.
    Straight to your Phone or browser.

PUSH notifications are the notifications that you see at the top of your phone or in your desktop taskbar.
    Currently PUSH notifications are available for Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
    Make sure to update your browser.

You should receive a message (popup) that asks if you want to receive notifications. Click yes to turn it on. You can always turn it off again. You will then see a blue bell in the left bottom of the screen. From then on notifications should appear.
    Do the same for every device.

I hope that you will enjoy this new feature. :)

P.S. If anyone wants to post screenshots to show how to tuns notifications on, then that would be helpful.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    This is how to turn on push notifications from a phone (I have Firefox for Android)...

At some point, your browser may pop up a box asking if you wish to receive notifications from this site. Mine only did this once, so I can't add a screen shot.

Locate the bell icon that is static in the bottom left of your screen:

mpush01.jpg

Touch this icon and it will ask if you would like to subscribe to notifications. Click "Subscribe":

mpush02.jpg ..... mpush03.jpg

You will now receive a notification on your phone for certain actions on the site. On mine (again, this is with Firefox for Android - yours may appear slightly different depending on your device and browser), this is shown by the Firefox icon on my phone's menu bar, like this:

mpush04.jpg

Swiping the menu down will show a notification like this:

mpush05.jpg

To turn off notifications, simply click the bell icon again and select "Unsubscribe":

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The process is very similar from a desktop computer or laptop...

Here is the popup that asks if you would like to receive notifications from the site:

push01.jpg

Locate the bell icon at the bottom left of your screen:

push02.jpg

Click the icon, and then click "Subscribe":

push03.jpg

Here are a couple examples of how notifications will appear (at the bottom right of your screen):

push04.jpg

push06.jpg

To turn off notifications on your computer, click the bell icon again and select "Unsubscribe":

push05.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. KratomKing

KratomKing Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Florida, United States
    @Alfa awesome new feature bro!!! It is an amazing new feature, and I'm sure almost everybody will be using it. I'm definitely going to be using the new notifications feature for my iPhone. Thanks for the awesome update.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 22, 2017 ---
    Hmmmmmm, I'm still looking for the blue bell icon to receive notifications. I'm using Safari via iPhone. Maybe I need to see if my Safari app needs an update. Will this blue bell icon appear anywhere on the site?

4. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    PUSH Browser Support

Chrome: Supported on Windows, Android, Mac OS X, and Linux. Not supported on iOS.

Safari: Supported only on Mac OS X. Not supported on iOS.

Firefox: Supported on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, Android devices.

5. Newguyontheblock

Newguyontheblock Newbie

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from outer space
    can you get the notifications on your phone by using your laptop?

6. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    I dont know what that means.

7. Eoin Kelly

Eoin Kelly Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o from Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    If you mean will you still get a phone notification whilst using your laptop. You will.

If you mean can you set up notifications on your phone through your laptop. You can't.

8. Cid Lysergic

Cid Lysergic Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from Calgary, Alberta
    So does & how does this work for Safari on an iPhone? Also, Windows Phone 8.1 Internet Explorer would be sick. I use Windows Phone exclusively for DF as it holds the world record for fastest typing on a mobile device. Plus a much larger screen on my Nokia Lumia 635 compared to my iPhone 4S.

9. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    See my post above about operating systems and browsers.