1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Question about hydrocodone refills

Discussion in 'Hydrocodone' started by pup555, Jun 16, 2012.

1. pup555

pup555 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I use CVS..now it says i have a 20 day supply (80 pills) with 1 refill..does that mean i can refill at the 20 day mark..or does it have to be 1 month? Thanks all

2. George9617

George9617 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    Re: Question about refills

Pretty sure it's when your out. I used to be there as soon as I ran out. Even though I usually weined after taking too many

3. pup555

pup555 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.

when your out..you mean the 20 day mark..or whenever you are out?

4. trdofbeingtrd

trdofbeingtrd Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

If you have a 20 day prescription, then you should be able to refill it in 20 days from the time it was filled, if not, time to call the insurance company and doctor to explain the pharmacist is being a jerk.......that's harsh, just time to call them after 20 days if they won't feel it.

5. pup555

pup555 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.

yeah it says 20 day supply...maybe ill give CVS a call to be 100%

6. trdofbeingtrd

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

Just letting you know, providing you have not done anything "shady" with prescriptions, it's your right to have it filled on the 20th day......no harm in calling to make sure, but I know about this. If they don't fill it in 20 days and will not be talked to, then time for a new pharmacy.

There could be exceptions depending on prescribing doctor, medication (how it's controlled) , or other such things, but for the most part, if it was filled on x date, then 20 days later you can get your refill. I know that the specific pharmacy in question will NOT fill early.....at least that is what all the signs say.

7. pup555

pup555 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.

This is my first time i have had a refill on opiates..so nothing shady..ever

8. beentheredonethatagain

beentheredonethatagain Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from California, U.S.A.

what kinda of pills are they? when you say opiate ,

9. pup555

pup555 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.

hydrocodone

10. beentheredonethatagain

beentheredonethatagain Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from California, U.S.A.

I thought so, since that was the only opiate that could be written for refill, all others have to be written new rx each month.

11. trdofbeingtrd

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

Not being a dick, but I am pretty sure codeine can have refills....at least T3's (tylenol with codeine) can. I don't know.......can't remember if T4's can or not.

I heard that dihydrocodeine can have refills as well, but no personal experience backing that up.

12. hypernihl

hypernihl Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.

Actually most pharmacies will refill a few days before you run out (usually 2 days early). Clearly there are situations where you need to pick up your script early, like if your traveling.

13. pup555

pup555 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.

Question as well..does the day it's filled count as the 1st day...as in if you get it filled on the 31st and you have a 20 days suppply...is the 19th day the 20th day...or does the 31st not count as day 1..if that makes any sense

14. trdofbeingtrd

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Twenty days from when it was filled (meaning you now have the medication and will start taking it....most important with anti-biotics for example) is when you can get it refilled.

15. dark12

dark12 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I work for a chain pharmacy. The days supply is the deciding factor on when you can get your next refill.
    Another big factor in early refill allowance is your general schedule for getting refills. If you are consistently early and transfer your prescription constantly the pharmacist will be less likely to allow your early refill. If you are usually on time and stick with your home pharmacy then you are going to be trusted more.

16. Nabooly

Nabooly Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Also depends on your insurance if you have it. Most insurance plans allow for a few days early. Like 3 or 4 days. I've seen plans though that will allow only after the full day supply has passed.

If you pay cash it's much easier to fill early, no guessing. Of course if you're paying $200 for your script some red flags will be raised for sure :D

17. dark12

dark12 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Believe it or not, paying cash is a huge red flag for most pharmacists.
    And yea, some pharmacists don't question a refill if insurance covers it. But the majority that I have worked with will look at the patient history to make sure they haven't picked up scripts of the same class recently.
    Some of the pharmacists even check a government website that lists all controlled medications that were sold to a patient. It is pretty cool to see all of the tools they have for this sort of thing.

18. Nabooly

Nabooly Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Yeah it is really cool! The documentation they have is amazing :D

Also don't take an out of state script for a narcotic to a pharmacy. If you drove 6 hours to get a medication that won't fly with the pharmacist.