Question about suboxone

Discussion in 'Buprenorphine' started by Maximill, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Maximill

Maximill Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM's doctor told SWIM that they need to be down to 80mg of oxycontin a day for the suboxone to work. I was presribed 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night (the maximum dosage, SWims doctor told SWIM that anymore than that would have no effect) I am only down to 1 80mg oxy in the morning and 1 40mg at night. Do you think I will have trouble and that the suboxone won't work? SWIM might need to switch to methadone since the one 80mg oxy a day isnt cutting it at all. I was told that he needs to be down to the equivalant of 30-40 mg of methadone. Is this true or does my doctor not know what hes talking about???

2. Maximill

Maximill Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Also I took his last 3 80's last night at 8 oclock, it is now 3:00 pm, when should I take his first suboxone pill??

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    You should wait until the withdrawals start before taking the suboxone. Otherwise, the antagonist activity of the buprenorphine has the potential to block any remaining oxycodone in you's system, and actually create withdrawals instead of preventing them! So, wait a day or so, or whenever the onset of you's withdrawal's begin, and then dissolve the suboxone in you's mouth.

As for you's doctor, he is correct in the sense that You would have to be down to about 80 mg oxycodone or 40 mg of methadone for a single 8 mg buprenorphine/suboxone pill to work for you. However, some doctors will prescribe more suboxone per day (one lab rat I have seen had 32 mg subutex a day after he got off of 120 mg morphine per day), but it seems that you's doctor only wants You to be on 8 mg buprenorphine a day.

Good luck, and please wait until the withdrawals start in order to avoid a very unpleasant situation! Please let us know how it works out for You and how he feels!

1. 4/5,
      good, informative advice regarding the early admin & poss precipitated w/ds
      May 1, 2011
  4. Maximill

Maximill Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well SWIM just took his first suboxone pill. SWIM waited until the withdrawal was setting in (sweaty palms, restlessness, cold chills) and then popped the suboxone. I took only 1 pill at first, to make sure I wasnt allergic or w/e. I feel MUCH better, the withdrawals are almost completly gone. SWIM still feels slightly edgy but compared to what I was feeling before its a relief. I will take 2 pills tonight, so that should help SWIM much more. I am very excited about this and can not WAIT to get clean again.(I was clean for about 6 months until he started using again) I am also happy they dont taste like crap! haha They smell like citrus and are slighty bitter, not bad at all. Will post tomorrow to let you all know how the first night, second dose went. Thanks for all the support!