Quick question about concerta

Discussion in 'Concerta & Ritalin' started by Nahbus, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I want to know if there is ANY methylphenidate in the brown parts. Assuming there is none, but he just wants to make sure before he tosses the brown parts.

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I say no, but he has seen (he thinks!) in one of swiN's other concerta threads that some people say there is. one person even had a diagram to prove it! but I am still thinking theres none in the brown.

3. SumoCat

SumoCat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hey Nahbus,

I takes Concerta and knows a bit about it from her doc. There's no stuff in the 'brown' parts. That's part of the time release coating.

Want to know something really interesting, though?

Concerta works on a newly patented 'technology'. There are actually microscopic holes drilled in the pill. That brown part itself does NOT dissolve in the intestinal tract.

What happens is that the medications dissolves in layers out through those tiny holes.

Now, get this..once that's done, that brown part becomes an empty shell which continues on through the digestive tract and comes out in the stool.

It makes me think of the old joke about turning around, looking at a poo and seeing corn...just imagining seeing a Concerta husk there...personally, I haven't seen one yet, lol..and I promise I don't look that often ;)

4. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Yeah the brown/black part is useless, the rest is the good stuff.
    Also, 22% of the methylphenidate is in the outer coating so don't throw it away.

5. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, SWIM knew about the coating. Just wanted to make sure the pushing mechanism didn't contain any goods. Thanks!

6. highganja99

highganja99 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    I think the brown part is the part involved in the osmotic release and shouldn't contain any MPH but SWIM might be wrong.

7. Ranke

Ranke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    hh, I had heard that the outer skin had some IR methylphenidate to take effect before the xr. However he has never heard that it contains 22% of it. Does You happen to remember the source?

8. capt_caveman

capt_caveman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    For those of you who didn't know and would like to. The pill itself is pretty much broken into 3 parts:
    (1) The actual methylphenidate
    (2) A sort of filler layer
    (3) The brown layer you've been talking about known as the pusher layer
    - All three layers are wrapped in a "plastic" coating then coverd in a overlayer which also contains methylphenidate.
    - When swallowed, the overlayer immediatly disolves giving you your initial dosage.
    - While in your gut, liquids permeate the "plastic" coating and cause the brown layer to expand and push out the active component (hence the name pusher layer) through the tiny hole at the other side. That's Concerta in a nutshell. I hope it helps.

9. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I takes generic Concerta (methylphenidate 20 mg E.R.) . SWIM's pills do not have a brown coating or brown time released device. What is the time released mechanism for pills that do not have the brown coating. Does anyone know how SWIM's generic's MEthylphenidate E.R. time release mechanism might work? :)

10. capt_caveman

capt_caveman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Have taken the outer layer off yet? If not, you could probably just toss it into your mouth until the coating is disolved(you also get a quick dose this way). After that you should see the layers. If it's not brown, it's the layer that's opposite the tiny hole on either one of the ends.

11. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ^^^^^^

Your avatar! Isn't that the lead singer of Phish that was just arrested the other day? hahaha ....poor guy...:(