Quitting methamphetamine

Discussion in 'Amphetamines addiction' started by kendraisdeloused, Nov 6, 2006.

1. kendraisdeloused

kendraisdeloused Newbie

Reputation Points:
    For SWIM, it's always been something to be hooked on. For years 'this person had an eating disorder, which to try and combat that, SWIM began using meth.That pretty much quelched the eating disorder because SWIM dropped to around 100 pounds and didn't feel the need to worry about weight. Now that SWIM quit meth after a year and a half, they have been constantly seeking that HIGH eurphoic feeling. I find that by huge amounts of concerta, adderall, cocaine, ritalin...now I am wondering what'll happen if they quit with amphetemines all together. A little scared and aprehensive, since it's been 4 years of relying on SOMETHING.

SWIM may have a problem and is now coming to face with it..

2. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    Re: Neverending addiction

That is the hardest part of addiction wondering what life will be like without something to prop you up. I was a heroine and crack addict for years and finally managed to kick the habit in jail and to be honest it really isn't that bad without those cruches any more, You just has to be totally determined to give it there all to steer clear of those substances. For swim it also meant a new circle of friends.

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:

It can mean a new circle of friends, a change of scenery, new activities, etc. Whatever doesnt remind You of the drugs. There is truly a feeling of "needing" the substance to function with addiction, thats what addiction IS in many ways. Like mickenator said, the difficult and scary part is wondering what life will be like without those substances. However, You will have to understand that it will be for the better, for both health and psychological reasons. You probably cannot consider rehab right now, but if possible, SWIM reccomends talking to a professional about this kind of thing. They can help allay you's fears about getting off stimulants. I will post more later, but right now he has to go!

4. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.

The hardest part of addiction for I am to be driven to use various substances, even when he chooses not to and knows it will probably be unpleasant and maybe even deadly.

The dependency freaks him out, not the potential absence of the dependency! But if he were actively trying to quit (and succeeding to some extent), the situation would reverse... then it would be the absence causing a problem, at least for a while.

Addiction: Can't live with the drug, can't live without it.

5. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:

The hardest part of any addiction for I was not only can withdrawal be horrible and sometimes life threatening (as with alcohol) but the fact that one is DEPENDENT On something just to function on a basic level . Swim never wants to be that way again and has mastered it via limits and boundaries.
    That way I has found swim can use just about anything without trouble.

6. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Maybe try to find what You is missing in their life, and try to fulfill the need in a healthy way, rather than numbing themselves with drugs or manifesting eating disorders to take You away from the real dilemma... I have found that there is always a basic need that is being unfulfilled, and this can lead to addiction, in even the strongest willed people...

7. jeper

jeper Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

Same here, depended for over 5 or 6 years on cocaine. Now i am trying to cope without, it is so much scaryer...but it is doable! I start to realize that the best way to overcome the addiction is to move away from your present situation.

the only thing that exhausts me is the constant thinking about it. I hope that will fade away in time. Do you have people to talk to? Please hang on, it s scary but you can enjoy your life so much more.