Quitting Tobacco: The Endless Cycle

Discussion in 'Other drug addiction' started by Bajeda, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have now just passed my third serious attempt to quit smoking cigarettes. I have been smoking for just over two years now, after starting to compensate for the psyhological cravings for smoke I got after temporarily quitting other substances in the past.

Each time it seems promising, I start cutting down, I reach the date I set out to stop by, and I don't smoke any more. Then something always triggers it back. Either meeting up with old friends, or even worse, going to a place where I have no friends and cigarettes are the easiest way to meet them. Alcohol doesn't help either, but I can usually contain the smoking to just when I am drunk in those situations without starting regularly again.

I think the biggest issue is social rather than physical or inwardly psychological. Cigarettes are a good way to meet people, and they are good when you are extremely bored, so when I go to a new place for a period of time I find myself lighting up just to find new people to chill with. This works too, generally I meet cool people through smoking and they are the types of people who do other fun recreational substances as well. The problem is I can't stop again once Ive started smoking with a new crowd. :(

In any case, I hope to be able to quit for good once I get back to school and are around my friends who are supporting my efforts, including those who currently smoke. I just wanted to know what the good people of this forum think about quitting tobacco and if they had any particularly good suggestions/advice/experience with regards to quitting that could help my (or others) situation.

Thanks.:beer

2. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ive quit smoking just fine twice. actually by fine i mean agonizingly painful and quite terrible. once was over a ten dollar bet and once was because i am an idiot. i started back up both times. the first was because i only did it for the ten bucks. (two weeks with no smokes) the second was because some people just have the power to make you so fucking frustrated you want to kill something and a ciggarette really helps with that. yea they feel fuckin good. and i like it. i like it alot. the taste too... mmm sweet soothing aromatic rich tobacco. sure are fuckin terrible for ya though huh? too bad that... sure would be cool if they made you more healthy and cured aids and cancer and whatever else... i can dream...

:joint: :smoker:

3. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I know what you mean. I like smoking but the health issue is really annoying. If only they could invent "cancerless" tobacco..... *sighs*

Still, is there anyone here who has successfully quit smoking tobacco and do they have any suggestions?

4. prescription

prescription Newbie

Reputation Points:
    haha yup iv been trying to quit as well, the bad thing is that i know i wasnt addicted until i started to smoke regularly and now its hard to stop, its become a part of my routine and my life feels oddly empty withought cigarettes, oh well at least i have several friends who are supporting me and hopefully i can stop smoking during the week as i know that quitting smoking while drunk is damn near impossible.
    Well good luck to everyone attempting to quit cigarettes, its a hard process but i want my damn fitness back :)

5. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Shit......

Its pretty much official now. I am physically addicted again, which means that next time I quit I get the couple days of "fun" to go through before dealing with the psychological stuff again. I was sort of hoping to just wing it until the summer is over and I move again so I could just cut it straight out.

A major problem for me is obtaining cigarettes. Sometimes when I want a cig but don't want to start again I just bum off of people. I did this for some time, but its hard to keep bumming forever, even at the rate of one a day. Especially if you are around the same people. They tell me not to worry about it but I always end up feeling bad and buying a pack.

They don't sell looseys around here so if I want a cig I have to buy a whole pack, and at that point I end up smoking more than I want to. Its a vicious cycle....

One thing I have noticed is that when I get cravings for a smoke and then go for a run or use the elliptical trainer I feel much better, and dont get cravings for a while. Working out helps alot as I don't think about it and don't feel like it afterwards. The problem is that with my job I am really exhausted when I get home so I have only been working out on the weekends. This is painful as I was a competitive cross-country runner for six years....

Still, to anyone else trying to quit, try working out more. It takes effort and motivation, but helps with the cravings and you'll feel better too! Plus when you try smoking again after working out for a while it feels really nasty so it makes it harder to start again (though not THAT hard unfortunately :( )

6. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    maybe what swibajeda could do is when he feels compelled to buy a pack, to take one cigarette out, and give the rest of the pack to a trusted friend who could then ration them out to swibaj at a predetermined rate. maybe a few a day, and then scaling back over days until its about at 1 a day for a while, this should make the physical aspect a bit easier to quit.

then on a day that swibaj has decided beforehand, quit altogether and inform swiys friends that you are quitting, and that youd appreciate if they helped out by not bumming any and to keep tabs on You when he's drinking or otherwise messed up, because that's usually when its the easiest to slip up and rationalize having 'just one' cigarette.

if the physical cravings are extremely intense, consider using nicotine gum. it helps with the withdrawals.

I has heard of a drug that blocks the effects of nicotine at the acetylcholine receptors. patients in this treatment are given the drug and allowed to smoke as much as they want. since the effects are prevented, the patients actually un-learn the previously learned reinforcing pleasure of cigarettes, and they no longer feel the urge to smoke because they have essentially "learned" that the very act of smoking does not provide a rewarding feeling. I would have to look in some files of his to find out what the name of this treatment is, but he found it an interesting approach to quitting.

on the plus side, if You doesnt quit, he is at least preventing himself from ever getting alzheimer's =]

7. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

I can't quite tell if your being sarcastic or not but in all seriousness, if your looking for a cancerless smoke look not further than marijuana. If you feel that weed won't quite satisfy your cravings then acquire some liquid nicotine and add a few drops to your cancerless marijuana cigarette, roll up and enjoy. Unless of course you don't enjoy marijuana, if this is the case get yourself some legal herbal smoking mixture add your liquid nicotine drops and smoke up your healthier cigarette.

8. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i think i would challenge that inhaling any smoke product can and will cause cancer by way of random genetic mutations and other such nasty things. the whole codon deletion thing is a real killer. also adding nicoteine to anything will instantly make it carcinogenic as nicoteine is a carcinogen. thusly marijuana is not cancerless and nothing with nicoteine in or on it will ever be healthy to use. also pure nicoteine is fairly potent so id be careful playing around with that stuff...

:joint:

9. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The only way to quit smoking is toss all cigarettes and never light another one. I smoked for about 20 years before stopping and have, aside from a few short lapses, quit for over 5 years. The cravings never go away, and the process is always agonizing. All attempts were made with nicotine patches which help separate the physical and psychological withdrawals and taper slowly. Change contexts as best you can (I quit right after a move to a new area - less triggers and other smokers). Become antisocial, then you don't need to meet anyone anymore smokers. Never date or live with a smoker or you are screwed before you start.
    Nicotine is also quite the poison and I noted during my lapses just how much of a poison it is. It's hard to have any perspective when you start and continue to smoke, however, but if you stop for a few months, the difference is noticable..

Snapper

1. 4/5,
      good advice, thanks
      Jul 29, 2006
  10. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Firstly, marijuana smoking DOES NOT cause cancer;

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/20201?highlight=marijuana+cancer

And secondly,

As you can see, a marijuana cigarette with some nicotine drops in it is a lot healthier than a dirty tobacco filled fag. Remember that word, DIRTY, use it on your quest to quit smoking tobacco, often, every time you see or smell or even hear about a cigarette, keep telling yourself how dirty and nasty it really is, when you catch a whiff of smoke, give your gag reflex a little exercise as if the smell is about to make you sick. It soon will as long as you react that way every time you encounter the nasty shit. Well, that's what worked for me after 7 years of smoking it, give it a go. I do however still smoke the odd (tobacco) blunt wrap but I just discovered, Sweet Palm Blunt Wraps "an all natural, non-tobacco leaf that burns slowly and evenly" so I'll finally be free of tobacco forever, yay!!!

11. thadj

thadj Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What you can try is avoid "smoking situations" for a week. Then after you are not physically addicted anymore, start slowly. Go home early when going out, force yourself not to smoke, drink more, spend some more money or whatever. Also, reinforce your non-smoking before by giving yourself something else you like.

Just my 2 cents. I've stopped 5 months now but have smoked on some occasions. Hopefully I will maintain.

12. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would be careful about assuming that marijuana smoke does not cause cancer. One study is really no proof of anything. It is clearly less carcinogenic than tobacco, but that does not mean it is not.
    Nicotine does not directly cause cancer, but it constricts blood flow to smaller vessels, being a potent vesicant, and though this mechanism can indirectly predispose one to tumors. The radioactive polonium 210 in tobacco probably causes a lot of the lung tumors found in cigarette smoke, though the vasoconstrictive properties do not help. Sorta like exploding depleted uranium and aerosolizing the radioactive particles...

Snapper

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
    1. 4/5,
      Damn. Snapper, you have some of the best unvarnished descriptions of drugs ever seen. Your wry take on tobacco and also cocaine have me reeling in delight. Oh, and you seem to know your biochem, too! Bazillion blessings to you.
      Nov 27, 2008
  13. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    It took me 10-15 tries to finally drop tobacco for good.

6 weeks of wanting and the patch is what I went threw to quit. Extremely hard substance to quit, Tobacco.

14. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Two things I wanted to add to this thread. One I found and the other I remembered that I hadn't posted.

The first... I found some of these to be quite helpful in trying to quit (a process I am still undergoing at the moment though so I'll have to see just how helpful they are in the long term).

The second thing is Midwakh. It is a very concentrated form of tobacco that is popular in the United Arab Emirates. You can think of it as "tobacco extract" almost. I know alot of Saudis who have quit by switching from cigarettes to smoking midwakh. Basically you smoke it like salvia, killing the bowl at once and holding it in. You get an insane nicotine rush. I'm talking intense. If you don't smoke it can be overpowering. I've smoked it before while drunk and almost passed out it is so intense. After smoking a bowl of midwakh you don't feel any need to have a cigarette for a while. It basically fills your need for nicotine for the next 3-6 hours depending on how addicted you are. By doing this you can deal with the psychological problem of quitting before you have to deal with the physical withdrawal. Once you have no cravings for cigarettes you can then quit smoking midwakh, which is just as hard physically but is much easier psychologicaly as you smoke it out of a pipe only a few times per day. I knew some people who quit tobacco in this way, though somehow I forgot about it over time.

You may want to note that while I refer to smoking midwakh, midwakh is actually the name for the pipe. The tobacco itself is called dokha.

I don't think you can purchase this online in any way. Maybe there is a company in Dubai that would take an order and send it to you though that would take some research and couldn't be discussed here.

Still, just in case anyone here goes to the Middle-East, lives in the Middle-East, or knows someone who goes to the Middle-East. Midwakh is an alternative way to quitting smoking cigarettes than cold turkey and I've seen it used with quite a bit of success.

Now I just need to go back to the U.A.E. for a short visit...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  15. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    how is swiBaj doin with the quit attempt? swiFTSL is on day 2 or 3. its hard to tell. he's fighting his cravings with liberal amounts of nicotine gum, as well as some dxm and tramadol. yes, he knows that he posted that opiates make him smoke more, but for some reason tramadol affects him in a similar fashion to dxm. he stops craving much of anything (even more opiates), and is content to do whatever the day requires him to do.

its a funny thing though, dxm. I have been looking, and there are NO studies that have been done looking at its effect on nicotine craving. even subtrip doses (30 mg) seem to kill the psychological craving for swim.

obviously with all the dxm side effects, its not a long-term solution, but maybe something to keep in mind when the cravings get particularly bad.

but the taking it a day at a time thing, thats really the truth. it gets too daunting when swim tries to picture a year from now having not smoked.

16. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm struggling but am still committed to quitting. I just need to psychologically prepare myself for the final departure. I've tried quitting times before but this upcoming one feels different. I don't feel any regrets going into it.

Once I move away from here back to where I was living before I will try to leave the smoking behind. That helps alot (changing locations) and since I know lots of people where I'm going it will help me not want to start again (usually I start smoking again to meet people).

You may want to check out www.whyquit.com . Its quite biased of course, but then again it is from a guy who runs quit smoking clinics. The information is fairly good if not excessively reiterated and there are some interesting tidbits. It definitely seems like cold turkey is the way to go so if swiFTSL can get rid of the nicotine gum he may be able to shorten withdrawal symptoms.

As for withdrawal symptoms, I find that the most intense effects only last a few days and then begin to taper off. After that comes the really hard part (in my opinion), psychological cravings.

Actually thats interesting, I think I saw an article on DXM's ability to help people fight certain types of addiction, particularly meth. I think nicotine was mentioned as well. I'll search again and if I find something I'll upload it and post the link here. Thanks for reminding me.

17. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    by all means, post that link if You can find it. dxm seems to have potential with combatting cravings for alot of more "body high" drugs...amphetamines, nicotine, alcohol, opiates, etc.

oddly enough I dont really get physical withdrawal symptoms with nicotine. he certainly doesnt nic fit or go crazy if he hasnt had his nicotine fix. he just psychologically craves them. but swiBaj is right, the sooner off the gum, the better!

18. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  19. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    hm, if You gets the chance, and the articles have at least abstracts online, could he send the links swim's way? he reads alot of articles so he might have a shot at deciphering them.

20. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    After ~2 years of smoking consistantly and 4 years periodically I have finally quit smoking cigarettes. He have tried plenty of times before but never had any success until he was put on probation and had to stop smoking pot. It has been just about a month now with no pot and no cigarettes. I bought a pack for his shroom trip because he thought he would want some but at no time did he have the urge to smoke. He has broken his routine of smoking pot and smoking a cigarette right after, which is how he started, and the rest followed. He has no desire to smoke a cigarette at all and even the thought of them is kind of repulsive to him now. I am very glad to have rid himself of the habit and is optomistic about his nicotine free future.