1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Recreational Use of Doxylamine Succinate?

Discussion in 'Deliriant antihistamines' started by psyko_tripper, Aug 30, 2004.

1. psyko_tripper

psyko_tripper

Reputation Points:
    Has anybody any experience with this substance?

It's an anti-histamine, so the trip will be anything like dramamine/diphenhydramine....

It's a deleriant, so watch out..

2. limpet chicken

limpet chicken

Reputation Points:
    There was a report on bluelight not so long ago on this, the only such report I have read.

Deleriants are nasty substances, usualyl highly toxic, and causing something far from a high, closer to an unpleasant fever hallucination, or acute psychotic episode.

Stay away from deliriants, they are not fun and not worth it.

3. Emperiorjack

Emperiorjack Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Anyone ever tried this stuff?

4. Fred the Janitor

Fred the Janitor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i have, but not for rec use. i was wondering the same thing

5. sands of time

sands of time

Reputation Points:
    This stuff can destroy muscle tissue at high doses. I would not recommend it.

6. Jeyez

Jeyez

Reputation Points:
    dude, get some xanax or klonapin, or valium.... ur paying for otc sleeping aids to get high, why dont u purchase illegal sleep aids that actually will get u high, and dont mess around with benadryl either that stuff messes u up i felt weird for like 2 days after, its not a hallucinagen but a delerian

7. Aopocetx

Aopocetx

Reputation Points:
    Where did you get that claim? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm curious. I hope you didn't just hear it somewhere.

8. blindpanda_eric

blindpanda_eric Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Absolutely no recreational value.. as with alot of sleeping pills.

9. Aopocetx

Aopocetx

Reputation Points:
    That's your opinion, but my opinion, along with a lot of others, is that sleeping pills can be a learning experience once in a while. Diphenhydramine comes to mind. That is why I would like to know if doxylamine actually does have any effects.

10. sands of time

sands of time

Reputation Points:
    An overdose of Doxylamine Succinate can cause rhabdomyolysis, which is the breakdown of muscle fibers. The contents of the muscle fiber cells end up spilling into the blood and can cause kidney damage, acute renal failure, and a wide range of other problems.

One of the many sources for this info...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11465247&dopt=Citation

I don't know how much of this stuff it takes to cause an overdose, but this talk of recreational use worries me. What worries me more is that no one seems to be aware of the very real risks of this medication.

11. Aopocetx

Aopocetx

Reputation Points:
    Ah, thanks for the information then.

12. Aopocetx

Aopocetx

Reputation Points:
    I tried it. It made me extremely tired and I only had closed eye visuals. I forget the dose but it was quite high. I fell asleep 4 hours later.

13. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er

Reputation Points:
    not only are delierent a horrible idea, but the one u speak of, i have read at high doses causes muscle deterioration (im not 100%) but thats what i have been told. not only that but it will dry ur respitory system up and possible cause arithmias. plz dont mess with these horrible otc fixes (not talkin about dxm)

14. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria

Reputation Points:
    Doxylamine succinate for recreation?

Now this isn't something SWIM plans on trying but he is wondering if anyone has just out of curiosity.One would think the effects at high doses would be similar to diphenhydramine seeing they are both anti histamines.

15. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Doxylamine succinate for recreation?

Yes, they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  16. x cynic x

x cynic x

Reputation Points:

Swim isnt too sure about recreational value but it is among the most effective otc sedatives available in the Us, and more sedating than some prescription hynotics. In a study, it was found that doxylamine succinate is possibly more effective than phenobarbital for use as a sedative. For this reason, doxylamine has sometimes been used off label in a manner similar to diphenhydramine for the reduction of anxiety symptoms. The dosage required to induce hypnosis can be as low as 6.25 mg, but is usually effective in dosages of up to 25 mg. Swim wouldnt recommend it for anything besides sedation if thats what swiys looking for.

17. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess

Reputation Points:

^^^ Does SWIY have a link to the abstract? (Or even better, could they upload the paper to the Drugs-Archive?)

18. AntiAimer

AntiAimer

Reputation Points:

Hallucinations no. Sedation yes.

Only worth while OTC sleeping aid, in Smurfs opinion. He still needs a extremely high dose but works.

19. svenghali

svenghali Silver Member

Reputation Points:

SWIM, in his younger and much much stupider years, bought a box of N*Q*** liquigels or something along those lines. They contained DXM, yes, but they also contained a good amount of doxylamine succinate as well. After a long night of some g-bong hits, SWIM and his friend decided to eat the box of liquigels. Needless to say, they hit the floor in about 20-30 minutes, and woke up perhaps 5 hours later with a TERRIBLE hangover. SWIM feels that he probably took what could be considered a recreational dose, if there is any, of doxylamine succinate, but there were no recreational effects, just some serious sedation.

20. Nagognog2

Nagognog2

Reputation Points:

Doxylamine will knock you flat - that's a given. Hence it's a major ingredient of NyQuil. The product is sold under the premise it will shut you up and make you sleep. See the ads: Barking, coughing miserable husband in bed. Wife can't sleep through his cacophony of a rhino-virus. Feeds hubby some NyQuil. He passes out. Wife sleeps with smile on her face.

Don't play with NyQuil, kids. It also contains a full dose of acetaminophen per dose - 1 gram. You'll sleep - but your liver and kidneys will hate you.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007