"Recreational" use of heroin?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Dr. Gonzo, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm interested in ppls views and opinions on the occasional use of H. Is it possible for swim to just partake at weekends indefinately without eventually and gradually escalating to being strung out. Obviously the effects and tenticles of pleasure linger long after the initial consumption and swim informs me that he has felt very lethargic and sluggish for days afterwards which is not condusive to working a 9-5

2. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    ME and SWIF both agree on the view that any opiate particularly the stronger ones (morphine, Diamorphine, Oxymorphone, Fentanyl etc) cannot be used effectivly frequently due to the consistant depression, withdrawal and generally feeling like shit post use. With occasional use we believe that recreational not habitual use is possible however requires a great deal of willpower determination and balls of steel to resist more frequent use.

SWIF himself tends to stay away from opiates after he rid his addiction as he feels even a single use could pull him down the hole which was so painful to pull himself out of.

The best way we found to look at it was that SWIF is exploring every drug and he has now tried most opiates that exist so there is no need to retry them more (except in conjuction with other drugs but lets not get into polypharmacology right now).

It comes down to why someone wants to take H, if it is to understand the feelings and search through differant drug experience there is no place for occasional use. If it is to have one hell of a night every so often i guess it has it's place but i expect that few will have the sheer mind power to resist H.

In short - NO :)

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    yeah, swiF is right. preachin the truth as always. there are occasional users of H that exist, theyre called 'chippers' but if You feels sluggish for DAYS after using opiates then occasional H use probably isnt for swiy.

regardless of the slugishness, opiates are an easy road to go down because they seem so close to reality. bad day at work? take a pill and it gets better. good day at work? take a pill and it gets even better. like swiF says it takes a LOT of willpower to keep these kinds of things at a recreational level, and not habitual.

4. jaffacake

jaffacake Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I remember Howard Marks (cannabis smuggler) once saying on a discussion programme that he had many friends who were occasional users of heroin over decades who had never become addicts.

Some people I know find poppy tea a little more addictive than heroin, perhaps because it stays in the system longer, but they still manage to use regularly without becoming addicted.

5. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Me thinks that the vast majority could deal with the use of H and other opiates., even if it wasn´t controlled.

Fantasian, please do not make general conclusion from your experience.(N=1);)

Even it it was a habit -like forthesevenlakes says, it could be part of a more or less healthy living, as jaffacake stated.

6. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Becareful sweetie cause as u continue your tolerance will get bigger and bigger and so will your expense in order to pay for it. withdrawal is not pretty lucky for swia she got people to help her manage and care for her not everyone has that luxury. be-careful!!

7. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.
    I have no experience with heroin and only occasional medical experience with strong opiods, however I have seen literature that seems to support the idea of the occasional heroin user. I remember reading on heroinhelper.com that the ratio of chippers to addicts is 5:1, and more reliably Reason ran a good article about occasional heroin users a few years back
    http://www.reason.com/0306/fe.js.h.shtml

8. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I has heard a similar statistic, that the majority of heroin users are recreational, and that it is only the addicts that are ever reported on or studied in experiments since the average chipper is not going to come right out and say, "hey, i use heroin."

zera, please post that link in a separate thread in this forum. i find its an interesting read, and more people might be drawn to read it if its in a thread of its own.

9. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo Newbie

Reputation Points:

Excellent article Zera thanks for posting ;)

As for swim he has been using Horse every weekend since I last posted and his tolerance has increased somewhat. He also reports that he sometimes gets what seems to be "mild" withdrawal symtoms [runny nose, cold sweats and feverish at night stomach cramps etc.] for a couple of days after the weekend.
    He believes his creative ability has also been enhanced but he says DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

I have also split up with the junkie gf who was key to his seduction by the brown mysterious milk of the poppy......

10. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The thing is, in SWIM's experience, recreational use is possible.. However, once someone uses it with any frequency, be it every few days or once a weekend, the mind is already addicted.. From the first use, it affects the pleasure center of the brain, just like all addicting drugs.. Once that reward system is inplay, it gets increasingly harder for many to say no.. Not impossible, as swim kicked a seven year habit with opiates.. A VERY LONG, HARD road.. He knew people who used recreationally, some who just saw their friends, gave it a try, and then decided it wasn't that great.. These are the only ones that didn't develop some sort of dependance.. I didn't understand the urge to get high was his own addictive cravings, until he began physical withdrawal, in which it was too late, he was addicted.. However, don't take swim's word for it, hell, he wouldn't have.. :p

11. Delysid88

Delysid88 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It is totally possible, with strong will power as mentioned. A lot of the "Preppy" kids and "jocks" would use opiates like percs/Oxy etc... but once the law cracked down on script's a lot of those popular socially loved clicks that I know took up rec heroin use. You would be surprised at who's dabbling with it now a days. Its ALOT more acceptable, but as I warn again there has been an increase in the "popular jock" turning into the " trashy junkie" the past few years.

12. Built for sin

Built for sin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Philadelphia
    This is a personal issue mostly....it all depends on you and what you choose to do with your new found love. Im and addict, one is too many and a thousand never enough...even with a steady job and a good work life my money would always somehow get blown on heroin, and my priorities become out of wack. But I did choose to take it out of hand...instead of stopping at the 3 bag mark, I kept going and ended up in a tough spot....it's possible, as people do it every day, but it's very rare especially with an opiate like heroin. Hoping the best.

13. Scloud90

Scloud90 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Texas, USA
    recreational use is definitely possible, but I mean half of the time its cause the users are too broke to be addicted, but I also know some successful people that do heroin occasionally. I also have been using heroin recreationally. I haven't had a problem getting addicted to it ever since I made a very firm commitment, which also includes not letting myself have a stash to use over the course of the week.

But also, its kind of a bad idea, I know this is only my opinion, but heroin is such an everymans high. It almost seems like its meant to simply do what you need to get through the day and go to work with no pain, as well as help you sleep and give you a reason to wake up and makes you feel like everything is ok(no anxiety). I almost hate using it unless I'm addicted. The high isn't that good, its almost the lifestyle of being a heroin addict that becomes more appealing to sober life....and recreational use is just a huge disappoint....blowing all my money on a gram which I just continue to re-dose constantly during the day and maybe the next....and then I just stop for a while.

Id say for it to be recreational youd need to IV which is just asking for trouble, as far as risk of death and addiction is way higher.

All that money wasted and I couldn't get any higher than a certain point, all the while theres no crazy euphoria once that ship has been sailed, and on heroin everything else pretty much sucks except more heroin.

Ive pretty much decided unless I have a reason to use it I wont. Like if I really need to sleep one day when I'm restless, Or if I get the flu.

14. Spiritos

Spiritos Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I'll chip in and say it's doable but it's not for everyone. Also the semantics of 'recreational' can differ per person. I suppose most will think in terms of 'an evening every now and then' and in such a case it's for each individual to find their break-even point of sober days in between using.

An alternative way of looking at it would be indulging in using for a prolonged period of time then sucking it up for a few days by mildly withdrawing. In my book this is still recreational use and I've done this before. But also here there's a break-even point to it. Being a little restless, anxious, depressed and having a running nose is doable but crossing that line is full withdrawl.

For me personally it helps thinking of these 'mild' withdrawls as having the flu. When I shift my attention to this concept I'm less bothered by cravings for eg. and it is only by personal experience I can deal with it this way.

Biggest pitfalls however are day-to-day moments like having a good day or a bad one, a party or a dreadful evening. Whichever way you treat it, willpower and discipline are needed.

15. LunchBox

LunchBox Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I believe that if someone uses every weekend, continuously, over an extended period of time the line between "recreational" and "addiction" becomes very blurry. Of course we all have a varying degree of personal discipline, but I would still consider using every weekend "habitual". Calling it recreational seems more like a rationalization than a truth. I can really only speak for myself but I feel like I would just be justifying my use in that situation. This is a powerful substance and even if kept to the weekend it wouldn't take very long before I was counting the days to Friday every week. After a month or two (if even that long) a tolerance would certainly start to build, followed by an increase in dosage and therefore buying more and more at a time. There would come a weekend where you bought a little too much and your "weekend" stash would bleed over in to Monday. We all know what comes then. Again, total speculation, kind of a worst case scenario situation. That is just honestly how I look at the idea of using on weekends only. Also, this thought process is based on using EVERY weekend over an extended period of time and mostly based on how I believe it would go for me. I would like to add that I know how powerless I am to this substance, I have been a daily user since late 2009. I do believe there are people who could control and moderate their use on an occasional basis, but that it would be very hard to maintain that over any length of time.

-Lunchbox

16. PandoraSpocks

PandoraSpocks Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've been chipping for about two years now. Mainly snorting it but shooting it a couple times for shits and giggles. I've done fine. Sometimes I'll get a 20, other times I'll drop a hundred on it and have some for a week or so. When I've been on it a week straight I have a cough and runny nose and the runs afterwards, but I'm not dopesick.

I couldn't afford a heroin habit. Hell, I'm barely affording my Obamacare.

17. gonzochef

gonzochef Professional lab rat Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    Pandora, while your symptoms are mild and manageable, dopsick is exactly what you are when you experience what you described. Those are symptoms of withdrawal and over time they will get worse...