Extraction - Regarding Oranges as Citric Acid Source for Kratom Tea

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Morrigan_la_Fey, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Morrigan_la_Fey

Morrigan_la_Fey Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Forgive me if this has been addressed already but I searched and saw nothing and I have a question. I have been making tea with dried Bali leaf, with good effect, but I've been reading a lot of posts about the addition of lime or lemon juice to the boil, for the citric acid.

My question: does anyone know if squeezing a fresh orange in will have the same effect, or no? Lime and lemon juice rip up my stomach so I would rather use orange if there's a point to it. I can tolerate the tea without the addition of anything but honey so for taste it's not an issue with me.

Thanks, you guys.

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Don't see why not. Coca Cola is probably acidic enough to work too. I'm pretty sure just looking at the pH and the source of the acid isn't an issue.

Now I think I may have to brew a kratom cola. that sounds like some serious yum yums!

3. Morrigan_la_Fey

Morrigan_la_Fey Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thank you! Chemistry is not my strong suit. And the cola thing made me laugh - didn't someone else say he mixed the powder with some almost-flat cola and he nearly choked to death? :laugh: I realize you won't be doing that, just made me laugh. Literally. Out loud.

Morrigan_la_Fey added 98 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

Update: So, the boyfriend ate all the oranges (that BASTARD how dare he eat something I need to brew a delicious beverage). I did, however, have some tangerines. And can I just tell you that a tangerine squeezed into the tea prior to the boil, simmer 15 minutes, strain, repeat, using 1 cup of water for each boil, is not only really effective in upping the strength, it is also DEELICIOUS. With just a squeeze of honey. I'm really glad I joined this forum. :D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. PillMan

PillMan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Arkansas, U.S.A.
    I have tried this actually because I didn't have a lemon. I squeezed a whole orange and made a tea. It worked and tasted better than the lemon tea in my opinion.

5. seaturtle

seaturtle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I always toss n wash with a tall cup of pure Florida orange juice, it definitely potentiates the effect quite a bit compared to other fluids I've tried like water, soda, and gatorade.

I remember once I went on a vacation and brought the Kratom with me but no OJ, I toss n washed with gatorade and was extremely disappointed with the mild effects... realized my error when I got back and was knocked out from toss n washing with OJ again :D

6. mindbenderoflife

mindbenderoflife Newbie

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o from earth
    Ha ha ---you're high. HI!

7. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Citrus juice of any kind seems to potentiate the effects. Grapefruit juice is supposed to potentiate the effects of opiates and opioids, I tend to use it. I also find that, while sweeter juices like OJ tend to take on a slight kratom taste, grapefruit masks kratom 100%. However I also find that most people find grapefruit juice just as nasty as kratom, flavor wise.

Apple cider or a very rich apple juice like Simply Apple works fairly well too. I suspect it's pretty acidic as well. Flat coke may work...however mixing or trying to toss and wash with carbonated liquid is in my experience a bad idea

In tea the acid is helping the water extract the alkaloids, however with toss and wash I suspect it's just making them more available to your stomach. What's strange to me is that some people swear by calcium carbonate (tums, various antacids) as a kratom potentiator, which is a base. I've never noticed any noticeable potentiation with this, whereas citrus juice seems like a must. I believe the claim is that calcium carbonate slows down the stomach's breakdown of the alkaloids. So maybe the acidic juice with toss and wash is just making the kratom hit harder, but wear off faster?

Hard for me to say, kratom lasts a lot longer for me than most people. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has any input on this matter.

8. mindbenderoflife

mindbenderoflife Newbie

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o from earth
    Well it was this web site that sent the thread to my email apparently a year late. And besides that I for 1 wish to keep this herb leaglk for my health benefits and talk of "potentiating" as well as buying from smoke shops is what is going to ultimately get it banned So keep up the good work.

Tags: