1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Repairing damage from aphetamines

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Jdubs, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Jdubs

Jdubs Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jun 22, 2006
    from U.S.A.
    Is this possible?

I had used them on and off over the last five years. I never went on binges or stayed up for more than 24hours. I usually would take them early in the morning in order to work on a school project or do some type of task that involved lots of concetration.

I used pretty good quality crystalized street meth and pharmacuitical dexadrine snapsules over my time of use. Though I have been relatively amphetamine free for over a year and a half now (excluding two occasions I used dex for exams!).
    I do feel that there might have been ramifications from my use...I am not as hyper as I used to be (which I actually liked) I'm more burnt out almost and now I am wondering if maybe this was just from growing older and maturer instead of the drugs changing my brian chemistry.

And as of late (last four months or so) I have been developing minimal social panic attacks....they come and go very quickly, are manageable, and really have no triggers (I find that very odd). Not to mention, my ability to focus on things is lacking (In school and even in normal conversation) I tend to zone out or get a distracting sensation that makes it hard to focus on things visually (is that odd?). The sensation seems to center around where the bridge of the nose connects witht he forehead (maybe i need glasses, but that feeling seems to come and go with no real triggers either).

I am really starting to wonder if this is all shit I have just built up in my head or wether this is the result of drug use.

I really havn't read of any of these symptoms from other amphetamine users...I also would like to mention, if this was caused from the drug use why did it take almost a year to start happening?

Any ideas out there, or simillar experiences?
  2. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Aug 4, 2006
    I had always heard crystal puts holes in your head that never go away and has witnessed first hand the damage meth does to peoples bodies and minds, if you ever see a real skinny beyond annorexic guy, probably tothless or near toothless babbling incoherantly to themself chances are they are a meth addict. just lok up amphetamines on the home page and you'll see. best of luck and swim hopes you are not one of those unfortunate souls.
  3. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Sep 30, 2005
    from U.S.A.
    The damage is relative to use. Speed (amphetamine and clean methamphetamine) at lower doses should do no damage. High doses (which provide a rush and euphoria) which are prolonged for several days to weeks like many enjoy doing is what ends up doing damage, along with malnutrition, self-neglect, and sleep deprivation. It does not sound like you describe that kind of abuse. Remember that people are put on adderall for ADD all the time, and they function.
    Another problem with meth is that it often has nasty impurities. Some of these could lead to residual brain damage.
    You might want to consider your condition a consequence of something else (ie age, other disease, etc) since it is more likely the case.
  4. Octo42o

Octo42o Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Sep 14, 2005
    from U.S.A.
    Sounds like you shouldnt have any real damage to worry about. You didnt binge. Binging is the worst, you hardly eat the first 2 days and you get sleep depravation, which messes up your mind. I think most of the stuff your worrying about is all in your head, you dont seem to lost and your use statistics conclude no real harm should have happened.
  5. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Aug 31, 2006
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    Nutrition is what most stimulant users forget about. Take a Vitamin B complex supplement and a Vitamin C supplement. L-tyrosine is a precursor to dopamine and would be good to take while on or after taking any dopamine releasing drug. Tyrosine should be taken on an empty stomache. Not sure if these would help a few years after use. Tyrosine seems like it would. There are some other supplements out there too that can help you out......mindandmuscle forums seem to discss this alot. Good luck!
  6. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Oct 26, 2006
    I used crystal meth in modest dosages for a long period of time. When SWIM stopped using the meth, it took a VERY long time for SWIM's brain to return to normal.

I have also read other threads in forums where ex-speed users claimed it took YEARS for their brain chemistry to return to normal.

It took SWIm about 2-3 years for his brain chemistry to balance out. I snorted a 1/4 gram of crystal every weekend for about 4 years. I did not enjoy sex without meth.....so it took him about 2 years to start enjoying sex again after quitting meth. I feel he did not suffer any permanent damage (some people may differ with my opinion..haha)

I do not think the problems You is experiencing is permanent. These problems will resolve over time. Just give You a few more months and I can say you will probably be back to "normal " again soon.

I took L-tryptophan before bed to help with his brains serotonin levels. I feel this helped a little with concentration and focusing. Everyones different...so...Hang in there...I think everything will be O.K. :smoking:
  7. Bildo

Bildo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Feb 2, 2007
    from ireland
    Get on a healthy diet with lots of fruit, especially banannas, veg and fish.
    I'd advise vitamin suppliments containing all B vitamins and zinc.
    That should sort your nervous system out :)
    On top of that It doesn't sound like you're too badly damaged.