Drug info - Rhodiola rosea

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by sunyata, Feb 11, 2005.

1. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    This is agreat herb that can be used for many things:

-Reduces physical and mental stress
    -Increases vitality
    -Depression
    -Impotens
    -Weak heart

This herb is defined as an adaptogen(endurance enhancer) and is considered to be more effective than Ginseng and with less side-effects. Here are some quotes about Rhodiola:

Rhodiola appears to work by influencing key central nervous system chemicals--neurotransmitters called monoamines (dopamine and serotonin are examples). An imbalance of monoamines is believed to be involved in several hard-to-treat illnesses, such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and seasonal affective disorder (SAD); some herbalists believe taking rhodiola to normalize monoamine levels may benefit these ailments.

In contrast, most other adaptogens, such as Siberian ginseng, seem to boost the body's reserves by enhancing the output of stress-fighting hormones from the adrenal glands.

Other studies on rhodiola have shown benefits in such varied areas as increased learning capacity and memory enhancement, regulation of menstrual periods and infertility, reduction of side effects from cancer chemotherapy, increased sexual libido and erectile dysfunction, enhancement of thyroid gland function, increased capacity for work and endurance, and protection from environmental toxins.
    To improve work endurance capacity and prevent stress-related illness: 100 to 200 mg three times a day in preparation for a stressful situation (increased workload, exposure to pollutants, and so on).

For chronic fatigue syndrome: 100 mg standardized to 3% rosavin, two or three times a day; dose may be increased to 200 mg three times a day if needed.

For an anticipated episode of acute stress, e.g., final examinations, an oral presentation: 200 mg 3 times a day.

Guidelines for Use
    Rhodiola has been safely administered for periods ranging from one day to four months.
    Until more specific information is available about long-term supplementation, take a one- to two-week pause in your daily rhodiola regimen at least every three months to give your body a rest. In other words, keep to repeat cycles separated by short intervals of no supplementation.

General Interaction
    There are no known drug or nutrient interactions associated with Rhodiola rosea. However, much remains to be learned about this herb and how it may interact with other adaptogens, such as Siberian ginseng, as well as with other dietary supplements.

Possible Side Effects
    Irritability and insomnia may be a risk with high doses of rhodiola. A high dose is considered to be daily intakes of 1,500 to 2,000 mg and above of a Rhodiola rosea extract standardized to contain 2% rosavin.

Cautions
    Care should be taken when using this herb. Research on R. rosea is still in its early stages, even though Russian scientists have studied the herb intensively. Clinical trials and more study are needed, however, before it's clear just what the plant can or can't do, and whether it may be harmful in certain circumstances.
    Don't take rhodiola during pregnancy or while breast-feeding; risks have not been adequately studied.
    Because of its stimulating nature, rhodiola should be avoided by individuals with bipolar (manic-depressive) disorder.

The plant grows in abundance where I live and I have made a tincture from the roots that work very nice. It makes you feel very refreshed in the morning if you're hung-over from too much weed smoking. Foul taste though. I've read stories about Sibirians who take a lot of this root when they want to get high, but this is probably not something one should do often and I have no experience with large doses of it. Two tablesoons of tincture is enough for me. Here's a quick recipe of the tincture:

You need: 50-70% alcohol, chopped(the finer the better) Rhodiola Rosea, pickle jar(s).
    Chop the root as finely as possible, fill the pickle jar until it's 3/5 full, fill the rest of the jar with alcohol and put the lid on(needs to be airtight). Shake it once a day and let it sit for a minimum of 3 weeks, the longer you let it sit, the stronger it gets.
    The alcohol should now have turned deep red and is ready to be separated from the chopped root. Use a coffee filter for this. Your tincture is now ready.
    Harvest from plants that are at least five years old, the root is what contains the good stuff.
    Here's a picture of the plant in question:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2006
    1. 5/5,
      Great post. Lots of good info.
      Dec 15, 2012
    2. 4/5,
      great post keep up the good work. there needs to be more posts in the ethnobotanicals like this
      Dec 19, 2008
    3. 4/5,
      nice info on this herb
      Nov 10, 2008
    4. 5/5,
      excellent...have always been interested in Rhodiola
      Sep 5, 2008
  2. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    Rhodiola isavailable at most health-shops in Norway, don't think it's listed as illegal anywhere, so it should be easy to get a hold of.You can also go looking for it by the sea or up in the mountain, research your local fauna.

3. pod3

pod3 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Now, I see that Rhodiola alters MAO but not how. I have heard the term
    "tryptamine medicine" applied to MAOI's. Can someone place this in an
    allopathic context?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  4. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Lately I have become interested in this herb as a potentially effective supplement for cognitive function and energy. It is said to produce feelings of well being and help give a boost during the day. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

I have come across some bulk product, 3-4% rosavin. Still lookin for a good dosage range though.

5. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I feel like it works, but I use it with some other things, so it is hard to tell what it is like on its own. It seems to be a mild energy booster and anxiolytic at the same time, but not pronounced. I also take choline, piracetam, aniracetam, multivits, ginseng, synephrine/ephedra supplement, a big cup of coffee, and about 150 mg sceletium tortuosum divided in 3 doses. At night, since GHB became illegal, I take a combo of phenibut, l-theanine, +/- kava +/- Papaver rhoeas extract. This stack allows me to work rapidly, efficiently, think fast on my feet, and not get jittery or disorganized.
    Snapper

6. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My girlfriend swears by Rhodiola Rosea to help manage stress, and give a general boost in positive thinking / well being and energy. She takes it when needed in capsule form. Also, when she has a hangover to give a general lift.

7. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    I have been using RR infrequently for two years now, and although he is quite sure it has an effect it is very subtle and varied.
    Sometimes I will get very stimulated, other times becomes pleasantly calm (not sedated though).
    However, I have usually used it in periods when smoking too much cannabis and this surely has had an effect.
    Swim usually make a tincture from dried root(must be relatively old,+5yrs) and drink this, it is very bitter, but one learns to deal with, and even like, the taste.
    I have given this tincture to families and friends and some claim definite effects while others are not sure wether it worked or not.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  8. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Rhodiola Rosea also in high doses can counter opiate heart arythmias, I know this from personal experience, when I tried it for the first time he ate some food about an hour after ingestion, after the first bite eyes glazed over, broccoli was more satisfying than it has ever been, it is a re-uptake inhibitor of dopamine, serotonin, and adrenaline. As an adaptogen it is pretty much a miracle herb, it keeps hormones and such at the top of the normal range. Very effective in weight lifting, stress relief, endurance, and has very little or no toxicity, it has even made women who stopped having their period start having them again.. here is a link to the studies...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  9. Spelvin

Spelvin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would just like to chime in here and agree that rhodiola is pretty nice. I have been very unimpressed with 5-htp, picamilon, sam-e, dhea, and many other 'smarts', but rhodiola has had a noticeable effect in helping swim manage stress (I have been under an unbelievable fucking amount of stress lately) and prevent paranoia after smoking pot. And man oh man does it boost sex drive! I am as horny as he was when he was a chronically maturbating 13-year-old and needs very little 'reload' time after orgasm. I have not noticed helping with depression any, nor does it seem to make swim feel relaxed the way other stress drugs like xanax would, I do not get high in any way, still, this may be the one of very few smart drugs (it is considered a smart drug, yeah?) that I go back to after finishing a bottle.

1. 5/5,
      Thank you for going into a little detail on your experiences with it
      Dec 15, 2012
    2. 5/5,
      awesome!
      Dec 19, 2008
  10. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Swim too has noticed this effect lately from a supplement he has been taking which is a blend of St Johns Wort and Rhodiola.

Edit: While I have been a heavy Cannabis smoker for many years he has always suffered from some anxiety / paranoia right after smoking which generally fades within the first 1/2 hour or so. While he has found many substances like Blue Lotus or Kava Kava reduce this paranoia, it is still lurking somewhat in the background.
    But this Rhodiola supplement has totally wiped it out 100%, not even a hint of mild anxiety.
    Swim now loves his weed more than ever as it seems happier and more euphoric than before. He also finds it easy to go out in public, make phone calls etc while totally baked, whereas this used to be very difficult for Swim.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  11. 0utrider

0utrider Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from tajikistan
    AW: Rhodiola rosea

does it have any effects, like kava? noticeable, that could not be as well placebo?

not talking about anxiety, more "relaxing" / "abusing" it (which i can with kava)

12. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: AW: Rhodiola rosea

I have not noticed any recreational effects, other than it seems to make swim feel how he should feel normally, and makes other drugs feel nicer. Possibly mild stimulation and aphrodisiac effects, but not a high as such.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  13. Br00klynB0y87

Br00klynB0y87 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: AW: Rhodiola rosea

This basically sums up the purpose of an adaptogen. ;)

.peace.

14. Jort

Jort Newbie

Reputation Points:

I was wondering if this holds true for cannabis induced panic attacks as well? I am also curious to know the exact name/brand of this supplement along with dosage if possible?? :thumbsup:

15. Beta

Beta Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    I use it often. The more pronounced effect is a very pleasant inner calm and a better perception (sound and vision).
    A friend told me that taken along with piracetam, choline, vinpocetine, schinsandra, Idebenone, Ginsenosides Rg3, Rg1 and Rb1 (which have a similar effect than Rhodiola) it has nearly the same effect than lsd or shrooms concerning the increased sensibility of sound and vision (so no hallu here, just pure reality). So I used it sometimes with my girl friend for a legal high (with sometimes mj which is also depenalized in my country). With sam-e, you have a light E feeling. Kinda legalflip or cleanflip.
    We have done it several times in the nature during sunny day with an mp3 player (+ 2 good headphones) and it’s a very pleasant high with vivid colors, sense of touch and a very good perception of sounds. I think my girl friend is addicted to it :p...
    Probably more expensive and less effective than the illegal counterpart ... and without the pleasure to make something illegal:laugh:...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
    1. 5/5,
      really? interesting
      Sep 5, 2008
  16. MountainDeW

MountainDeW Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I was drawn into the world of supplements and nootropics by this very substance. The effects are great if you had a bad addiction and need to clear and reorder your bodily functions. Another added benefit is the increased oxygen intake and therefore increased muscle work potential. Rhodiola rosea is ideal for altitude. I have read that sherpas in the Himalaya's offer a tea of rhodiola to visitors who are suffering from altitude sickness. The term adaptogen is fitting for this root as it truly does regulate both the body and mind. If you are stressed you will be unstressed, If you are tired you will be invigorated and if you buy one supplement I recommend this one first.

1. 5/5,
      wow! really??? i wonder how you knew this! are there studies?
      Sep 5, 2008
  17. 0utrider

0utrider Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from tajikistan
    does anybody know whether it influences / block out the effects of the pill (like SJW) ?? any effects on it?

18. mykeamine

mykeamine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim'd like that question answered too.

I would experiment right now but with the 900 mg SJW in his system is also a 20mg addy so conclusions would be altered..obviously.

if anyone does know of this though please post!

i, personally, love love love Rhodiola alone. i moved to chicago and was over ridden with stress like never in my life before. Rhodiola had the potential to save me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  19. humdroid

humdroid Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Rhoda says careful with this one if you have the jitters naturally, as it can make you jittery, a bit like caffeine, in doses of 500mg plus, according to R.

20. Leonida

Leonida Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    This was SWIM's experience with RR. Don't recall the dosage but the feeling was actually quite bad and quickly noticeable within the hour of taking. I was confused especially after having read mostly good reviews of the stuff.:confused:

Gave it a go several more times but, alas, each with the same outcome. SWIM shelved the stuff and vowed not to take again.:thumbsdown: