1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Combinations - Rhodiola & SSRI's

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Thumbsucker, May 29, 2008.

1. Thumbsucker

Thumbsucker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi, posting here instead of the AD forum cuz reckon I'm more likely to get people knowing what Rhodiola is.

Swim's been taking around 250mg daily of Rhodiola (3% strength), and loves it. However, has just been prescribed 50mg/day of sertraline (SSRI similar to fluoxetine).

Rhodiola has been found to be serotogenic (and also affects dopamine levels), therefore I has theoretical concerns about combining it with SSRIs (ie potential serotonin syndrome), and can't find any research relating to it.

Do any yous have any thoughts/personal experiences of this?

Cheers xx

2. spacelord

spacelord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    I amt taking Citalopram for approx. 2 years now. ATM 30mg/day.

Started taking Rhodiola Caps (3%) about a week ago. He is not sure if there was little effect or none. He thinks that it's hardly dangerous. But this is nothing more than an educated guess. There are people more knowledgeable about Rhodiola.

Good Question buddy, as a lot of people think that most plant drugs do not pose a danger to one's health. Stay safe!

3. criss

criss Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Was an answer regarding this combination ever reached?

I'm taking citalopram but would like to continue my rhodiola use - is this appropriate?

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    This article shows Rhodiola has MAO (A&B) inhibitor properties, so taking it whilst on an SSRI, or any other antidepressant medication, is not a good idea as it could potentially cause serotonin syndrome.
    For further information on serotonin syndrome please see this post.

SWIM hopes this answers the question.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017