Ritalin overdose?

Discussion in 'Concerta & Ritalin' started by GuUg7, Nov 10, 2004.

1. GuUg7

GuUg7 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    Is it possible to overdose on ritalin? If so, how much? I've read reports of people doing 100mg or more and getting hospitalized,but is there aknown amountforoverdose?

Thanks

2. whitetrain

whitetrain Newbie

Reputation Points:
    bullshit, 've gone up to 200mg daily for a week straight, u just don't sleep for a week, which fucks up your head, if your a first timer stick to 60 or 90mg a day for the first week or so

1. 3/5,
      it is possible to overdose on ritalin, which is the OP's main question....
      Jun 9, 2013
  3. serotonin

serotonin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i have done up to 250 mg's in one sitting of about 20 mins. that's the most i have ever heard of anyone doing. i think it will be really hard to overdose.

4. markdahman

markdahman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Yeah im with serotonin ive done the same amount as him! No adverse effects at all! Altho im sure it is possible to overdose im sure it would suck! Amphetamine overdoses are a true test of ur minde! Id b willing to test the overdose limit if ur willing to send me 500 mg's of methylphenidate! [​IMG] (chuckles..

5. sterckxke

sterckxke Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've done 240mg IV in about 4hours,(60mg/hour)
    i was fucked up,but not dead so...

6. fairy2230

fairy2230 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    what about 1300 mgs in 44 hours? Thats what Ive dont in the last day. Spreading it out though, the most Ive done at one time is 60 mgs

7. jardo

jardo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    All these numbers are fine and dandy, but what it really boils down to is the person.

Some people's bodies can handle 200mg.. some can handle only 60mg. If you're a 'bigger' person (not necessarily in weight, but also in height), you're more likely to be able to handle a bigger dose.

Keep in mind, certain things like heart conditions, blood pressure, and other health issues come into play.

A rule of thumb for anyone wondering how much their body can handle would be to start with a low dose... But please please don't play tough guy with stimulants (or any other type of drug for that matter), because eventually you will lose.

1. 5/5,
      Very insightful, & common sense that's sorely lacking in many posts. Need more contributions like yours
      Mar 17, 2018
    2. 4/5,
      For stressing that each person reacts differently. You can't make safety claims based on indivudual anecdodal evidence.
      Jun 9, 2013
  8. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ritalin has a strong first-pass metabolism, in contrast to amphetamine, why i donĀ“t underrstand it ever made it as a gold-standard ADS-medicine.-oh, well, just because it was supposed to be not abused like dexedrine et al. which work so well, they could make even "healthy" people feel better :-b.

So the only way to rpredict a methylphenidate-dose is injecting it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  9. imppateint

imppateint Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Apparently I'm one of those people that can't handle Ritalin, funny since it's such a weak upper. Just last night I had a total of eight 20mg rits in my inventory. This was the most Ritalin I've had at once. Previously my record was a simple 60mg with coffee. I have no medical conditions. I'm 6' and 130 pounds.

First dose - about two and a half pills snorted, about one and a half swallowed whole taken at 12am
    Effect - fantastic normal high, nothing out of the ordinary, however i comedown around 3:45am-ish
    Second dose - chewed 20mg, parachuted the last 60mg around 4am
    Effect - Nothing? well that's interesting, I feel like I'm just starting to comedown until.... 9/10am

Things start to get interesting..

At 11:30am-ish I'm in the shower when I realize it's starting to get harder to breath full breaths and I start to feel like if I don't start breathing I'll pass out (I don't pass out). At 12pm I walk into my room when I realize I feel this.. pressure on my chest. At this point it's hard to take a normal breath, but this pressure.. I check my pulse.. My heart is past racing, it's sprinting, it's on steroids, my heart has never beat this fast, so I try to slow it down through controlled breathing, after a couple minutes I check my pulse as I control my breathing. My pulse is at least three times faster when I inhale than when I exhale. Now I'm just convinced I'm fucked and I'm going to have a heart attack or go into cardiac arrest or something, but I don't tell anyone I'm just like that, so I never went to the hospital or got any help. Until around 1pm my pulse is so high, sitting is physically exhausting. I had to walk up my driveway and I almost passed out. Around 3:30 my pulse is high, but manageable. At this moment at 5:40pm my pulse is almost normal and full breaths are manageable. That was my day today, But it was my stupid decision.

So technically I didn't die, but I bet if I ventured my way into 250mg at once or whatever like other people here, I would be in the hospital whether I like it or not.

Lesson of the story? Dose up slowly, experiment responsibly, and like jardo said, people are different.

10. DrAxar

DrAxar Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Yes you can overdose on ritalim (methylphenidate) in the same way that you can overdose on nicotine and caffeine. I'm not saying it will be fatal but you can end up with agitation, restlessness, shaking, increased heart rate and blood pressure, paranoia, hallucinations, sweating.

1. 4/5,
      for answering the OP's question thoughfully and succinctly.
      Jun 9, 2013
  11. Happy Soul

Happy Soul Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    imppateint,

I am so sorry to hear of your frightening experience, and thank you for sharing with others so they can learn from you. My friend wanted me to respond and to relate her experience with Ritalin. Unfortunately her experience is tainted as she did not take pure Ritalin and instead later learned it was a mix of Ritalin and Methylone. This she found out later by using a test kit. Initially her intention was to take Molly, with the hope that it was MDMA. Upon inspection of the Molly it did look dirty, but she decided to take it anyway. The decision was later regretted.

She also had extreme difficulty breathing, but it started in the club about 5 hours after taking the first two capsules. (After taking two capsules, she redosed with 4 more over a 4 hour period). Feeling that it was just asthma, she used her inhaler with not much good result, which was when she realized she was having a reaction to the capsules she had taken. Over the next 6 hours the shortness of breath progressively worsened, with the addition of tachycardia - racing heart and very fast pules. The extreme difficulty breathing was worrisome for her, being an asthmatic. She did feel the same inability to power her body, not able to walk but a few steps and unable to speak but a few words at a time, in between trying to breathe. She had someone with her who went into stim psychosis and she had to baby sit that person instead of caring for herself. The experience was a nightmare.

She wanted me to come onto this forum to warn people of the very real cardiac and mental/psychotic after-effects of these chemicals, and also to encourage people to purchase a test kit to verify substances taken prior to ingestion. The person who was with her orally ingested 8 of these capsules in a 6 hour period, while she plugged anally the 6 capsules. The person who orally ingested had somewhat of the shorness of breath but mainly the stim psychosis and extreme paranoia. She was the victim of the first pass metabolism whereby the Ritalin bypassed the liver and was not metabolized in the same way. She feels quite lucky to have survived the experience, especially since she was partying with people at least 15 years her junior and she should not be so careless with her body.

Please dance safe and titrate up to a safe dose, and pre-test with a test kit all chemicals you would like to take into your body. PLUR.

*Soul

12. meth_latex_catsuit_doll

meth_latex_catsuit_doll Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Absolutely.

It depends on the individual's tolerance and Route of Administration.

For me, I OD at 80mg when plugged (rectal ROA). Dosing more ritalin when OD increase side-effects and has no benefit at all. I once started chasing the buzz past OD, plugged 200mg, and didn't feel any different -- other than excessive sweating - than 80mg. What a waste.

Eating more 100mg may cause stomach and digestive upset. Hospitalization was more likely from nausea and extreme discomfort, unlikely from OD. This is why I prefer plugging Ritalin, as it bypasses the entire digestive system and buzz with no discomfort.

13. prescriptionperil

prescriptionperil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Talcosis is associated with IV abuse of pills, and it ain't pretty.

"Talc a hydrous magnesium silicate is used as a lubricating and diluting substance in many oral medications, such as methadone, methylphenidate and pentazocine. IV abuse of these oral medications can cause talcosis. The talc crystals are filtered by the pulmonary vascular bed, forming foreign body granulomas within the aveolar capillary walls and perivascular are (Gibbs et al 1992)

Is it worth the risk vs benefit ratio?

14. NP-9

NP-9 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    overdose?

Yes.

That really depends on what you class as an overdose.

Side effects happen more often over 20mg.

People taking more than 30mg at once are taking risks.

Sure some young people could get away with it, but someone with heart disease and didn't know it could die of stroke or heart attack.

People have died on normal doses, < 20mg.

Shortness of breath on high doses could be due to anxiety, but it also could be a warning sign of a heart attack.

Ritalin comes with a heart warning for a reason.

Another thing most people don't realize is that stims cause oxidative stress, due to increased dopamine levels.

When people get high, they are basically burning their brains out.

Please consider researching the effects of high doses before experimenting.

try google scholar or pubmed :

'amphetamine ritalin dopamine oxidative stress'

NP-9 added 795 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

For a heads up - here are some side effects:

Heart - CV effects

Narrowing of the blood vessels

High Blood pressure

High blood pressure is considered 140/90 or higher.

It can increase the risks of heart attack, stroke, burst blood vessels (aneurysm), kidney damage and has been linked with shortened life span.

tachycardia - fast heart rate

Arrhythmia - abnormal heart beat

ventricular fibrillation
    - a bad form of arrhythmia when the heart becomes less effective at pumping blood.

Symptoms are fast, irregular heart beat, shortness of breath and weakness

They are considered warning signs of a heart attack.

Note: There are reports on this board of this happening with doses over 60mg / day

Heart attack

other signs:

• Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
    • Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
    • Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
    • Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.

Kidney damage

Stroke /
    aneurysm (see above)

Heart failure

Death

Mental effects:

Headache, irritability, flat mood, 'zombie' effects

Mania
    - excitement, euphoria without due cause.

Anxiety, nervousness and agitation

Confusion

Obsessive / compulsive symptoms - checking, hand washing

Stereotypical behavior / self harm
    (eg masturbation for hours).

Panic

Aggression and anger

Toxic Psychosis - paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, hearing voices

Stomach GI effects

Suppressed appetite, weight loss

nausea,
    vomiting

Other effects

Dry mouth

Numbness / tingling in limbs.

Insomnia

Tremors / shakes

Sweating

Oxidative stress
    - High doses have been found to cause oxidative stress and damage

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  15. soniconmushrooms

soniconmushrooms Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    lastnight i tried ritalin for the first time. i bumped 14 pills or 140mgs pretty evenly over the course of 2 hours and i was fuuuuucked up. honestly i was kinda worried i might have od'd cuz my body felt very nervous and jittery and some nausea . i still havent gone to sleep ive been up for 36 hours, but for reals i was fine, i was in a safe place, i probably didnt need to take that much but it was pretty fun and i enjoyed my first experience with it

oh and i dont recommend taking that much. like after 8 pills i was pretty maxed and i think the other 6 were kinda overkill and just added to the negative side effects. just take the minimum you need to get where you wanna be to reduce side effects

16. King_k

King_k Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    But, taking so much as described above --
    isn't it gonna have long-term permanent health effects ( I heard a doctor one time describing that the brain only has so many neurotransmitters and those who abuse amp's in such a manner "kill" them off and never can be the same again).

not worth killing your brain and living like a shell.

17. ritalintr

ritalintr Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from New York, U.S.A.
    1. 3/5,
      this is entirely off topic
      Aug 15, 2014
  18. EscapeArtist

EscapeArtist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    It is possible to overdose on Ritalin, as with most substances, pharmaceutical or otherwise.
    The amount depends on your body weight, tolerance, if you've taken it before, and if so - for how long, there are many factors which come into play.

I personally have been taking Ritalin for nearly 3 years, and whilst most of the time I take it as prescribed, I have gone on weekend binges - where I will take about 300-400mgs in a 24 hour time span ( of instant release Ritalin) . I experienced no serious medical problems, but this is because I have an already high tolerance to Ritalin, as well as most stimulant substances - and it wasn't worth it, the high is short lived and afterwards you feel anxious, paranoid and your chest feels funny.

The usual maximum dose for someone, legally speaking - is 60mgs, however they so make a 74mg concerta pill where I live in Australia - however to get on that you have to be an adult, and it has to correspond with your body weight (1kg per mg is the usual way they go about it I think). I'm not too sure what it classified as an overdose - I guess medically speaking it could even be 100mgs, but I've known people, myself included, who have used upwards 300mgs in one night and experienced no medical issues from doing so, and I always feel fine the next day.
    However, I strongly discourage anyone from doing that much - you just feel terrible afterwards.

19. OxyDizzy

OxyDizzy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I've taken 100 mg ritalin divided over the past 24 hours, and i'm still not hospitalized:thumbsup:
    Only it doesn't give me the euphoric feeling anymore.. thats the only negative thing.

1. 3/5,
      this is hardly safe nor indicitive that it is safe.
      Aug 4, 2015
  20. PhilosophyOfLife

PhilosophyOfLife Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    here's the thing , Stimulants in general , can never kill you on their own (THAT'S THE TRUTH).

However Ritalin's effects on the neurotransmitters in the brain, will increase your heart rate and blood pressure considerably, so for someone with severe heart conditions (i'm talking "can't run 15 meters straight" conditions) , there's a point after which the heart simply runs out of "fuel". So (again) for someone with serious heart problems , yes ritalin could give them a heart attack , and that could even be from as low as 20 mg of ritalin IR.

On the other hand, for someone healthy without any serious heart conditions , its almost impossible to just have an actual fatal overdose .

here's a summary of what takes pages to explain completely :

Unless you have very serious heart conditions , you can not die because of a ritalin OD. go on and take a whole gram right now and see if i'm wrong.

for a HEALTHY and young (say below 40) person even a 5 day binge without any sleep is in fact almost
    completely safe!

(worst case scenario is to forget drinking enough water during the binge and getting dehydrated enough to pass out, and wake up with a harsh, alcohol-like hangover, at which point it would be very advisable to go to a medical centre and get checked up)

you will get so fucked up in the comedown that there's a risk of suicidal intentions. but again , stimulant overdose doesn't do physiologic damage. it only makes your body work harder.

DISCLAIMER :
    note that I'm here talking only about fatality of these stimulants. but aside from that , ritalin use (even at low doses) can give the user many serious and unpleasant mental and physical effects .

for example in the case of 1 gram intake that i mentioned above you will definitally get so fucked up in the comedown that there's a risk of very severe depression and panic attack that could even lead to suicidal intentions. but again , ritalin use on it's own doesn't do any direct damage.
    it simply forces your body to work harder.