Drug info - Robitussin DM (DXM and Guaifenesin)

Discussion in 'DXM' started by Quentin, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Quentin

Quentin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Heya guys, I knows some of you mentioned that DXM should be the ONLY ingredient in the cough syrup but I could not find Robitussin maximum Cough so was left to buy Robittussin DM(100mL bottle) instead.

Here are the contents:

Each 10ml of syrup contains:

Guaiphenesin 200mg
    Dextromethropan hyrdobromide 30mg

So is this bottle safe to drink? Its the Guaiphenesin that worries me... is it dangerous or will it worry my trip?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  2. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Depends upon how much guafenesin that you're planning on taking... Some newer formulations of cold/flu mix meds are pushing 800+mg guafenesin. Take too much and you'll probably be puking. I'm sure there are others who know more of a general rule of thumb, but I wouldn't want to push it more than 1000-1500mg, but maybe I'm just sensitive.

3. Quentin

Quentin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    That's a relief! I almost thought I bought one of those bottles that end up killing you. Like DXM mixed with some other active ingredient?

So just to confirm, guaiphenesin WONT kill you and at worse it'll just make you puke?

This is considered an ok bottle to start off a DXM trip right? Thanks.

4. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    NO! Don't take my word for it that you can chug the whole bottle! DAMN! Just wait until some other, experienced DXM users wake up and give you a straight answer.

I was referrring to the Guafenesin. Plus, this doesn't mean that you can take 10grams of the shit and it won't kill you! I have no idea how much guafenesin is lethal. I was just telling you how much is a reasonable ballpark to avoid puking. Sorry if I gave you false hope. Just wait for someone else to chime in.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Guafenisen is a smooth-muscle relaxant. Taking large quantities - such as chugging down the contents of a botttle of cough syrup - will relax the muscles in various places. Such as the sphincter. Read: Wear a diaper if you do this. It's bad enough that your monkey will be stumbling about high as a kite on the DXM - but the monkey will likely also be releasing it's bowels wherever gravity dictates. Too much, I don't know what the LD50 is, could feasibly dispatch your monkey to the Great Beyond. In a smelly box no less.

Your monkey wanted straight dextromethorphan? Send chimp to shop again if monk is truly intent on this. Or at least buy him some adult diapers.

Regards is this safe? NO!! If it was considered safe you could buy it in a cup at McDonalds. And they use blown-in foam insulation to thicken their milk-shakes.

6. Quentin

Quentin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Damn. What a downer. Thanks anyway guys, I nearly wanted to take 30Ml of it.

Anyways, drixol and vicks formula 44 were both unavailable at the pharmacy. So this was all I could buy and they didnt have maximum strength either.

So how do i purchase the right bottle(DXM-only, right?) without rousing suspicion from the pharmacist?

I can't just ask for any cough syrup/gelcaps that cotain DXM only, can I?

7. M3th

M3th Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Im guessing this is the first drug You has ever done? You sounds paranoid.

The pharmacist cant say anything to You unless he comes into the store every day and gets the same thing. Or looks pretty suspicious.

8. Aaron

Aaron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Go to a different store, and look for a generic brand with DXM only. Stores in my area to do not carry Robitussin with DXM only either, but generic brands sometimes do. If you absolutely cannot find anything, look for robitussin caugh gels with DXM only. If all else fails, turn to online drugstores which almost always carry DexAlone (30mg DXM/pill).

9. RealGanjaMan

RealGanjaMan Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Just look at the box. Under "Active Ingredients" the ONLY thing that should be in there is "Dextromethorphan". "Robotussin - Long Acting" is a good brand.

10. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Sure you can ask for a product with only DXM in it. You can ask for any OTC product that you have most confidence in to get rid of that nasty cough. YOu buy, what you find best. Please read up on the dangers.

11. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    lol, Bongo cracks me up!

I wonder if this musle relaxent, when taken in high quantities, could be enough to render one motionless?

A while back I went all out with DXM and he was have major motor problems, unable to move or walk. I can't recall if there was Guaifensen in there or not..

In any case, I have a question, What would be the hazzards or mixing DXM with a benzodiazapine?

12. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Why does You want to use the benzo? If it's because of the stimulating properties of dxm then I'd say go ahead. If depressant qualities are more present when you take dxm then I'd advise against the benzo because of the respiratory depression and such. I would often take a benzo during a dex trip because she would usually feel somewhat tense. She found that it relieved the tension and just lead to more relaxation throughout the trip. I don't know about other's reactions to this combo so I don't know about the safety, but swim's experiences have been positive.