1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - Ropinirole? Just wondering if this new drug has any recreational value.

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by deekyleeky, Mar 22, 2007.

1. deekyleeky

deekyleeky Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    The drug is called requip or ropinirole. A friend of swim acquired some of these pills and is wondering if they have any recreational value. Here is a short description of the drug.

Mechanism of Action: REQUIP is a non-ergoline dopamine agonist with high relative in vitro specificity and full intrinsic activity at the D2 and D3 dopamine receptor subtypes, binding with higher affinity to D3 than to D2 or D4 receptor subtypes.
    Ropinirole has moderate in vitro affinity for opioid receptors. Ropinirole and its metabolites have negligible in vitro affinity for dopamine D1, 5-HT1, 5-HT2, benzodiazepine, GABA, muscarinic, alpha1-, alpha2-, and beta-adrenoreceptors.

What does all this mean? I saw alot of familiar drug groups in there.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: New downer? Just wondering if this new drug has any recreational value.

It means it's action is dissimilar to such as valium or other common sedatives. It is being touted as a safe, non-addictive sleeping pill that can be used indefinitely with no problems at all...

Until they find dreadful problems with it next year after everyone gtrows an extra sex-organ on their chin and develops brain-cancer.

3. deekyleeky

deekyleeky Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o

Well thanks for clarifying this, swim thanks you. However I dont think it is being advertised as a sleeping pill. It is for "restless leg syndrome" and/or parkinsons disease. But that is neither here nor there, you answered my question and therefore I have concluded this drug has no recreational value at all. Thanks again

4. wellhelm

wellhelm Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o

Restless leg syndrome is a sleep disorder.

5. deekyleeky

deekyleeky Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o

thanks for that. I know i sound stupid, but I am a newbie. I am not a newbie in the sense that he is not an experienced drug user. I am very experienced. My only question was if this had recreational value, not if the pill was a sleeping pill. Thanks for the input anyways

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Newbie

Reputation Points:

It's too new for many reports regards it's abuse-potential, but the drug company would likely keep such quiet if possible. They're spending millions on TV ads. If a monkey were to find out, give it a banana to write a report.

7. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.

Dopamine agonists do have potential recreational uses (and it also has opiate receptor affinity, very interesting), but until someone experiments it's only a theory. If it's unscheduled, chances are whatever recreational value it has will not be terribly high.

8. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Probably like L-dopa or wellbutrin.

9. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Mmmmm... Acute dystonia.

10. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

^^
    Swia being the curious peep that she was had a look 4 info on it out of curiosity and found this. and came across Benztropine, which she reading about.

http://www.cmdg.org/Movement_/drug/acute2/acute2.htm

11. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Newbie

Reputation Points:

I always found it amusing methylphenidate has "may cause drowsiness" as a warning label.

Having never tried it I always assumed it was stimulating( Da Reuptake I). Anyone know if it is certain Dopamine receptors which (can) cause drowsiness or a general affect that sometimes occurs with Dopaminergics?

Certain nootropics which affect dopamine caused drowsiness in SWIM.

12. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

my boxes of methylphenidate always caried a label saying:"Do not partake in traffic, may slow down reaction" Yeah right, an upper slows down your reaction time :p

13. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Newbie

Reputation Points:

Ritalin and amphetamines are SUPPOSED to make people with ADD & ADHD calm and mellow. "Normal" people are the ones it gives a boost in energy levels to. Kid I knew was given Seconal to wake him up, and Ritalin to knock him out in school. Instead it just fucked him up so badly that he never learned how to read or write. When his mother complained to the school-board, they threatened to have the kid committed to a state mental hospital if she didn't shut up about their utter failure.

14. Zaprenz

Zaprenz Newbie

Reputation Points:

Do kids/adults with ADD find benzos/barbs wake them up?(in general) ^Its very sad when psychoactive drugs mess a child up.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  15. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

Nope, au contrair mon frair. I have ADD and benzo's only make him sleepy, stimulants in small doses do make him calm though.

16. thenumber7

thenumber7 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o

what about stimulants in large doses?

17. Dole654

Dole654 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    hmmm... I've been looking through DA receptor subtype distinctive effects etc.

A pretty interesting link about the D3 receptor's role in cocaine abuse -
    http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/16/19/6100

Anyway, SWIM's lab rat may be testing the compound this evening, depending on his further research. If the experiment is undertaken, a full report will be posted.

18. Dole654

Dole654 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Tablet was pentagonal bipyramidal with a second smaller similar pentagon

inlaid, before coming to a dull point.Yellow in color. .5 mg dosage.

awww.drugs.com_pdr_images_P05317B4.jpg
    <from drugs.com/pdr>

0.00 - .5 mg ropinirole hcl insufflated (1:09)

0.01 - rapid onset

0.03 - continuing to come up

0.05 - distinct calmness, opiate-like worthlessness

0.10 - slight trails; limbs feel heavy; strongly enhanced after images

0.15 - visual static; high gravity

0.30 - subject passes out

Interesting to say the least... Baboon could only feel his core beginning from the abdomen up.
    Not necessarily in a good way, however. At times, Baboon indicated that it felt like his limbs had completely disappeared.

Interesting. Baboon isn't sure whether or not he enjoyed it. Definitely merits more testing, however.

Baboon just now upon me finding the above picture realized it was prescribed in quite a higher dose than he had thought. .5 mg insufflated had a pretty pronounced effect. He says he can't even imagine insufflating 3, let alone 5 mgs!

**sorry it turned out a bit short...

19. HighParadise

HighParadise Newbie

Reputation Points:

I don't give a fuck what anyone says, but that stuff is like 5 drugs in one. The main actions are dopamine and opioid agonist. It also has SOME (notice it says negligible, not none) affinity for a shitload of other receptors that get you high, including 5-HT2 (acid anyone?). Just try a few of those man.

20. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    This drug directly affects the dopamine system. And it may trigger the opioid receptors. The real question is, considering the beauty of it on paper, is why the hell aren't people scrambling to try this thing out? Could be the sleepiness (requip doesn't affect D1 receptors, the stimulating ones) that deters people from it, or it could just be a general lack of euphoric properties.

SwiPA has ready access to these and will start trying them in oral and insufflated doses. A thread with his reports will be made as soon as the first trial is completed.

EDIT: This drug may benefit from combination with another substance that has effects on the D1 receptors. That combo also might be very bad for an unfortunate lab rat's health. There could be an alcohol/benzo type reaction here, in that small doses of both synergize nicely, but anything over the threshold dose is hazardous.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008