1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Salted or unsalted cannabutter...any difference?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by PerryStalsis, Jan 22, 2012.

1. PerryStalsis

PerryStalsis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was having a conversation with Mrs. O'Leary's cow and she asked me if I thought there was any difference in using salted vs. unsalted butter when making cannabutter. That is, whether one ends up more potent than the other. I have no idea. Has anyone heard any rumors or hearsay about this?

2. GreyPaws

GreyPaws Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There will be no major difference in potency when using salted and unsalted butter. There is a small chance that the amount of sodium added to the salted butter may leave "less" room for the active chemicals in cannabis, however, I highly doubt it would be noticeable on any significant level.

The most major difference will be in the taste of the butter. Salted butter would work better in savory recipes (savory scones, biscuits, savory crepes and blinis, etc..) and unsalted butter would be better for sweets (brownies, cookies, cakes, etc..).

Hope that helps, enjoy.

3. PerryStalsis

PerryStalsis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That sounds right. Thanks!

4. al-k-mist

al-k-mist Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Absolutely no difference.
    And while it may seem that salt would leave less room for cannabinoids, one does not even begin to saturate the butter with cannabinoids.
    Personally, AFOAF just prefers salted butter. His wife prefers unsalted.
    It is a matter of taste.

5. VagabondWraith

VagabondWraith Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from California, U.S.A.
    AFOAF has used both, and notices no difference outside of taste. She tells me that aside from individual preferences, she doesn't think one is more or less beneficial than the other. What DOES make a difference however, is fat content. If you're able to get your hands on a French butter for example, it has a slightly higher fat content than your typical American butter, and therefore extracts more cannabinoids due to the fat solubility. :)

6. PerryStalsis

PerryStalsis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A sneaky squirrel told me one day that you can get the same effect with artisan or Amish butter, the kind you get at farmer's markets. In price, it's between brand-name butter and the French butter.

7. Mick Mouse

Mick Mouse Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    54 y/o from Cayo Loco
    Is it better to use real butter or a margerine that is usually 40-50%+ oil?

8. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    It's best to use real butter.

Beyond the issue of taste (butter is better; you never hear farmers talking about how to make their butter taste more margerine-y, now do ya? ;)), I believe the goodies in the cannabis prefer the saturated fats vs the unsaturated fats.

But food just tastes better with butter. ;) Any recipe you see for brownies, etc that says '1/3c oil' or whatever, just substitute butter. Especially with box mix brownies. Soooooooo goooooood! *dr00000l*

~Kailey